CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-02 07:42:04 - When men were men.

Mao Tse-gore (412)

When men were men.

We still suck bigtime.
There's a big difference between optimism and an altered state of reality.
Not another dime, not another mile, not another minute.
MSFlag.gif

#2 2020-01-02 09:48:00 - When men were men.

AndreWhere (1252)

Re: When men were men.

I remember the '97 game in Hattiesburg and the '98 game in the Superdome particularly well. Didn't go to the 9-6-99 game but I know a lot of others did.

Already in '97 it was obvious that Tommy Bowden was a huge shot in the arm for Tulane. I think they ended up winning 6 or 7 games that year, but they brought a pretty sizable, enthusiastic contingent of people up to M.M. Robert's. These people knew Bowden was going to do good things at Tulane.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#3 2020-01-02 10:54:50 - When men were men.

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

The only one I remember on campus was in 93 I believe...........I remember one of our players coming off the sidelines(Fred Brock?) and trying to tackle a Tulane player that was running with the ball near our sidelines. Not sure who or how or why but that just sticks out in my head.......

that.......and we lost that game.......

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#4 2020-01-02 11:23:38 - When men were men.

skyvoyager (177)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

The only one I remember on campus was in 93 I believe...........I remember one of our players coming off the sidelines(Fred Brock?) and trying to tackle a Tulane player that was running with the ball near our sidelines. Not sure who or how or why but that just sticks out in my head.......

that was the great 2-8-1 lost season.... started off losing to pitt on thursday night.... whole season went downhill after that.

brock came off the bench to tackle a tulane player.... twice.... somehow he did not get caught the first time....

"Of course, the Alabama game (40-0 loss) is shown as a win due to their forfeit of the game, but I can assure you that it was the most dreary game I have ever been a part of in my career. I take that back, the next week's loss to Tulane in Hattiesburg 17-12 was the worst. It was so embarrassing that Fred Brock made two tackles on turnovers by our offense. Nothing out of the ordinary you say...well, would it change your opinion to know that Fred was not on the field when either of the turnovers happened. That's right. Twice he ran onto the field to tackle the Tulane defender advancing the ball after the turnover. The first was an interception return where Fred was on the sideline talking to me and getting water. The next thing I know he throws on his helmet and runs onto the field and makes the tackle. He then ran back off with no penalty. That was before replay, but the officials still stunk. Tulane ended up kicking a field goal. The second time, later in the game, Tommy Waters fumbled the ball and Fred ran onto the field and tackled the defender again. However, the player scored on the play and Fred was caught and flagged. He was also tossed out of the game."

https://southernmiss.rivals.com/news/we … re-before-

Last edited by skyvoyager (2020-01-02 12:20:23)

Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

#5 2020-01-02 11:43:57 - When men were men.

The%20difference.png

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#6 2020-01-02 14:14:11 - When men were men.

skyvoyager wrote:
Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

that was the great 2-8-1 lost season.... started off losing to pitt on thursday night.... whole season went downhill after that.

brock came off the bench to tackle a tulane player.... twice.... somehow he did not get caught the first time....

"Of course, the Alabama game (40-0 loss) is shown as a win due to their forfeit of the game, but I can assure you that it was the most dreary game I have ever been a part of in my career. I take that back, the next week's loss to Tulane in Hattiesburg 17-12 was the worst. It was so embarrassing that Fred Brock made two tackles on turnovers by our offense. Nothing out of the ordinary you say...well, would it change your opinion to know that Fred was not on the field when either of the turnovers happened. That's right. Twice he ran onto the field to tackle the Tulane defender advancing the ball after the turnover. The first was an interception return where Fred was on the sideline talking to me and getting water. The next thing I know he throws on his helmet and runs onto the field and makes the tackle. He then ran back off with no penalty. That was before replay, but the officials still stunk. Tulane ended up kicking a field goal. The second time, later in the game, Tommy Waters fumbled the ball and Fred ran onto the field and tackled the defender again. However, the player scored on the play and Fred was caught and flagged. He was also tossed out of the game."

https://southernmiss.rivals.com/news/we … re-before-

Sadly, I was at that Bama game as well. Cold and miserable....just like the final score

#7 2020-01-02 14:19:49 - When men were men.

southerner92 (30)

i left in the middle of the 3rd Quarter of that 1993 Bama game. That and the 2012 Boise game at home are the only 2 I can think of that i left before 4th Quarter

#8 2020-01-02 16:57:50 - When men were men.

skyvoyager (177)

southerner92 wrote:

i left in the middle of the 3rd Quarter of that 1993 Bama game. That and the 2012 Boise game at home are the only 2 I can think of that i left before 4th Quarter

I left the Cinci  game in 2004 ( 52-24 loss ) early  but we did make it to the 4th qtr. (barely )

Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

#9 2020-01-02 18:26:44 - When men were men.

Lloydlake (139)

Pic's ARE worth a thousand words. Crap. That makes me want to vomit.

#10 2020-01-02 18:35:03 - When men were men.

AndreWhere (1252)

Not sure how those images exonerate CUSA. No CUSA version of USM football was ever as good as the best USM teams of the 1980s and 1990s, and USM football has declined very steadily throughout CUSA's existence.

Any form of cancer is dose-dependent. The longer you're exposed to the carcinogen, the more severe the symptoms become. There will be good days and bad, but over time the good days become less frequent.

Last edited by AndreWhere (2020-01-02 18:35:41)

#11 2020-01-02 19:54:11 - When men were men.

skyvoyager (177)

AndreWhere wrote:

Not sure how those images exonerate CUSA. No CUSA version of USM football was ever as good as the best USM teams of the 1980s and 1990s, and USM football has declined very steadily throughout CUSA's existence.

Any form of cancer is dose-dependent. The longer you're exposed to the carcinogen, the more severe the symptoms become. There will be good days and bad, but over time the good days become less frequent.

cusa started in the 95-96 before that bower was 4-7, 7-4, 2-8-1, 6-5, 6-5... so not sure if any pre-cusa version of usm in the nineties was better than a cusa version in the 90s.... the 97 and 2000  teams were pretty good... surtain, adalius thomas, etc... what declined was cusa... version 2.0, 3.0, etc.

the lowering tide dropped all boats (except the teams that left ) we are now playing florida international airport, and recruiting against those types of teams....i still say if we somehow landed in the aac we would be be better off....i think we are agreeing to a certain extent

Last edited by skyvoyager (2020-01-02 20:45:00)

Liked by:

#12 2020-01-02 20:10:57 - When men were men.

AndreWhere (1252)

The very early 1990s, right after Hallman, were definitely a rough patch. I think the program as a whole really struggled in those years and that made CUSA seem like a good (or at least necessary) thing to some people.

CUSA represented the end of major football at USM, though. I thought so in 1995. It was a ratcheting-down of expectations, a replacement of epic (if sometimes outmatched) contests against the SEC schools with canned hunts. It was the institutional equivalent of marrying the fat, nerdy girl who liked you in high school and then getting fat on her couch and waiting for death.

Howard knows.

"Going to Conference USA is the only reason I left. I wasn't interested in playing in that league."

--Howard Schnellenberger

#13 2020-01-02 20:28:48 - When men were men.

skyvoyager (177)

AndreWhere wrote:

The very early 1990s, right after Hallman, were definitely a rough patch. I think the program as a whole really struggled in those years and that made CUSA seem like a good (or at least necessary) thing to some people.

CUSA represented the end of major football at USM, though. I thought so in 1995. It was a ratcheting-down of expectations, a replacement of epic (if sometimes outmatched) contests against the SEC schools with canned hunts. It was the institutional equivalent of marrying the fat, nerdy girl who liked you in high school and then getting fat on her couch and waiting for death.

Howard knows.

"Going to Conference USA is the only reason I left. I wasn't interested in playing in that league."

--Howard Schnellenberger

lol smellyburger that along with bowden and crum killed the metro football 16 team super conference with penn state, miami, south carolina, pitt, va tech, etc.  he was determined independent was the way to go....

smelly burger that we beat 10 years in row who said when he got to loserville...'we are on a collision course with a national championship... the only variable is time.' ..... howard knows

Last edited by skyvoyager (2020-01-02 20:32:40)

Liked by:

#14 2020-01-03 08:14:53 - When men were men.

AndreWhere (1252)

Howard was and is 100% full of pie-in-the-sky crap, but you need that kind of person if you want to do what Louisville did but USM has not. You cannot do what Louisville has done by feeding people a bunch of "aw shucks" crap about LA Tech.

Liked by:

#15 2020-01-03 09:13:59 - When men were men.

skyvoyager (177)

AndreWhere wrote:

Howard was and is 100% full of pie-in-the-sky crap, but you need that kind of person if you want to do what Louisville did but USM has not. You cannot do what Louisville has done by feeding people a bunch of "aw shucks" crap about LA Tech.

no question loserville did what they had to do.... add them to the list of teams that we used to beat regularly that have leapfrogged us... that is a depressing list btw.

Liked by:

Board footer