CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-26 21:31:53 - Kobe

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Kobe

Nine lives lost in that crash. Not one more important than the other. Terrible tragedy. I was not a Kobe fan. Not really an NBA fan in general. Didn’t care for Phil Jackson, Shaq or Kobe when they were winning. I thought the 81 point game was selfish. The olive commercial with Jalen was funny. Thought his 60 in his final game was because the other team let him score. I remember his legal fight more than his early career.

That said I do remember two things about him that he did recently, probably both within the last few weeks, that I thought were great when they happened. One was Kobe trash talking Luka in Slovanian when Luka was trying to inbound against the Lakers in LA. Luka heard someone talking in his first language and turned around to see it was Kobe. The second thing was watching him and his daughter talking basketball court side during a Lakers game recently. Just found it cool how he was pointing out strategy and she was learning from her dad.

Sad day for his family and fans. Sad day for all those that passed in that crash. Great reminder on how short life is and that none of us are promised tomorrow.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#2 2020-01-26 22:00:11 - Kobe

USMstang (303)

Re: Kobe

I'm not much of an NBA fan either.  My issue with it is due to my age and having seen much more of a team sport in the 70s.  There was still some decent ball being played in the 80s as well.  I honestly can't recall having watched an entire game that Kobe played in.  May have, may not have.  It certainly makes no difference to me.  I am not a fan of his nor do I have any disdain for him.  It's always sad to see someone at his age pass and kids passing in accidents is sad as well.  His death today means nothing in the grand scheme of things any more than Earnhardt dying except that many of us watched him die.  He was just a man and there were several others on the aircraft and they were all people with loved ones as well. 

I guess what I'm saying is that there are only a handful of people on the planet whose untimely deaths may actually have a detrimental effect on the masses.  His was not one of them any more than most all athletes or celebrities that pass too soon.  Yes, it is sad.  Just like anyone else who dies at 41.  I guess there will be lots of folks so moved by his tragic death that they go publicly mourn not unlike when Earnhardt died and to me, it makes no sense.  My own brother's reaction to #3 dying was like we had lost a family member.  I found it rather bizarre.  I had a good friend that couldn't even discuss it for several days.  I never understood it and still really don't. 

So if Bryant's passing has a devastating effect on your life, I hate that for you.  If Earnhardt's death had an impact on you, again I'm sorry for the empty place in your life.  What I can do, as a Christian, is ask God to grant mercy upon his soul and of the other souls lost in the accident.

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

#3 2020-01-26 22:26:49 - Kobe

AndreWhere (1252)

The Earnhardt death made my wife cry and it was mostly because she'd pulled for him with her grandfather for years. I get that.

That British Open where a very old Tom Watson took it to a playoff got to me a little bit because he'd been my grandmother's favorite 25 or 30 years before that, when I was a little kid. Sitting there as a middle-aged man watching Tom do what he did, with Grandma too old and blind to watch but still listening, it felt like the passage of time had slowed down...

Beg time to stand still, but it won't.

The Orange Bowl where Tommy Frazier brought Nebraska back was another one, for similar reasons.

Not sure if it's unfair to Kobe, or unfair to Steve McNair, but those are two deaths that kind of seem like a pair of bookends to me. Had a new baby with me for both... figured both would be the last new baby. Funny how things turn out.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#4 2020-01-27 09:17:44 - Kobe

USMstang wrote:

I'm not much of an NBA fan either.  My issue with it is due to my age and having seen much more of a team sport in the 70s.  There was still some decent ball being played in the 80s as well.  I honestly can't recall having watched an entire game that Kobe played in.  May have, may not have.  It certainly makes no difference to me.  I am not a fan of his nor do I have any disdain for him.  It's always sad to see someone at his age pass and kids passing in accidents is sad as well.  His death today means nothing in the grand scheme of things any more than Earnhardt dying except that many of us watched him die.  He was just a man and there were several others on the aircraft and they were all people with loved ones as well.

Same here regarding NBA in the 70's and 80's. I was a Sixers fan growing up in PA but still appreciated the Lakers and Celtics because it was team ball. I have no disdain for Kobe, Shaq, Lebron or any of todays stars that chase championships and create dream teams, I'm just not a fan of it. I have disdain for the me first stuff like "the decision" or forcing a trade before your contracts up because LA is more appealing than Oklahoma City or New Orleans. If the league is good with it so be it. I don't need to support it.

You and Dunwoody have a family connection to the Earnhardt death. I have never been a Nascar fan and the only thing I remember was the statement made by Jr after his fathers death. Very impactful words spoken in the moment of ones most personal tragedy. Only one sports death I can remember that threw me off when I heard it was Len Bias. I lived in the heart of ACC basketball at the time and saw him a few months earlier in Greensboro upset UNC in the tourney. It was probably Dan Rather on CBS that told me the news that he died. I was confused about what happened. No social media back in that day so I probably didn't realize it was drug related and not just heart failure.

In todays media environment its all about immediate speculation in a scramble to be first to report it. Yesterday ABC News reported all 4 of Kobes kids passed in the crash within the first hour before retracting it. I heard Kobe was the pilot as well. I saw a camera man follow Tiger Woods walking with his caddy as he was told about the death of his friend. I saw Tom Izzo telling his star player about Kobes death with another camera right in his face. BBC did a montage of LeBron James when talking about the passing of Kobe. Accuracy be damned just to be first.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#5 2020-01-27 10:08:16 - Kobe

skyvoyager (177)

I was playing in a pro-am at Annandale golf club in 1999.  When we walked off the 9th green, a pga official and a priest called the pro in our group, Joe Ogilvie over to the club house.  They went into the clubhouse for several minutes.  We knew something weird was going on.  Finally they came out of the clubhouse and informed us that Payne Stewart had passed away in a plane accident.

After the tournament, the pros were all walking around in shock.  It was strange to be there and see how Payne's death affected the other pro golfers.  I don't know how many of them liked or disliked Payne but they all seemed to respect him.  I think he had just won a U.S. Open at that time.

Anyway it was a strange day.

Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

#6 2020-01-27 12:57:58 - Kobe

USMstang (303)

Payne's death was strange for sure.  I've been to one golf event in my life and it was the PGA tour event at English Turn in New Orleans.  I saw him and all the other big names that day and while boring as hell on TV, it was actually cool to watch in person.

#7 2020-01-27 16:06:48 - Kobe

Black Diamond Reb (418)

AndreWhere wrote:

Funny how things turn out.

If you want to hear God laugh tell him your plans.

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

Liked by:

#8 2020-01-29 18:54:59 - Kobe

Too good not to share. He was definitely the man.....

C6535E9F-A248-40B2-B290-16DE81633292.png

1900265B-F21A-4521-9493-5BCD0A7F19CB.png

Liked by:

#9 2020-01-29 21:01:48 - Kobe

USMstang (303)

So I've got a frequent customer in my store yesterday that just happens to be a retired WO4 'Nam helo pilot among other things.  I know how pilots are about saying anything bad about another pilot but he unequivocally stated, "that dumbass knew he shouldn't have flown into a fog bank but he let that $$$ make him think he could do it".  He went on to say, "he knew he was a dead man to even try that shit".  Of course we all heard that LAPD (or sheriff's office) grounded their two choppers that morning because of the fog.  He also said, "that idiot should have given it more power and gone up, not attempt a turn...you lose your lift in a turn". 

I guess we'll have to see what the Black Box data shows.

#10 2020-01-29 21:46:27 - Kobe

AndreWhere (1252)

USMstang wrote:

I guess we'll have to see what the Black Box data shows.

For some reason the helicopter Kobe was in didn't have one.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/tr … story.html

But yeah... my hunch is that the error here will ultimately be assigned to the pilot.

The fact that another helicopter pilot would even hint at that speaks volumes. A helicopter and its pilot have a good idea which way is up, and ought to be able to go that way without much ambiguity. Unlike airplanes, helicopters don't flip upside down or anything close to it in controlled flight.

Speculation coming from me, of course.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#11 2020-01-29 22:22:16 - Kobe

I read somewhere that the choppers fast descent lasted approximately one minute before it hit at an estimated 170 mph. Can’t imagine the fear they had to experience as the pilot lost control. Apparently Kawhi Leonard shared the same pilot with Kobe.
This whole thing just sucks regardless of why and how. Saw Shaq was going to give some of his earnings to the other families that lost a loved one in the crash. The TNT tribute last night was solid. Try and catch it if you haven’t seen it.

#12 2020-01-30 21:55:36 - Kobe

USMstang (303)

Fast descent for a minute...makes you wonder if that sombitch was lost in the fog and thought he was flying parallel to the ground.  I hope so because that would mean everyone thought "all was well". 

Foggy...blinded...lost...disoriented...bad judgment...fatal...was the pilot's name Gianinni, McGillis, Gilbert, Bennett or a newbie named McClain?

#13 2020-01-30 22:04:49 - Kobe

skyvoyager (177)

USMstang wrote:

Fast descent for a minute...makes you wonder if that sombitch was lost in the fog and thought he was flying parallel to the ground.  I hope so because that would mean everyone thought "all was well". 

Foggy...blinded...lost...disoriented...bad judgment...fatal...was the pilot's name Gianinni, McGillis, Gilbert, Bennett or a newbie named McClain?

or aunt martha?  too soon?

Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

#14 2020-01-30 22:39:38 - Kobe

B&GBU (259)

Much easier than you'd think to become disoriented at sea or in the air with a little weather, even to the point of questioning your instruments.

"Did you ever consider that the next level would be a lower one?"

Liked by:

#15 2020-01-30 22:43:38 - Kobe

USMstang (303)

It's like my brain voided her existence along with her boy EJ

skyvoyager wrote:
USMstang wrote:

or aunt martha?  too soon?

Liked by:

#16 2020-01-30 23:04:04 - Kobe

EagleFWB (176)

He was also a rapist... Too soon?

Liked by:

#17 2020-01-30 23:54:50 - Kobe

EagleFWB wrote:

He was also a rapist... Too soon?

That’s why I was never a Kobe fan. I don’t know if he was, only two people, well now one knows the real answer. I always question financial settlements when one person accuses another of assault and drops charges in exchange for a check. That’s probably an insensitive comment on my part.

#18 2020-01-31 00:03:29 - Kobe

EagleFWB (176)

No it's fair... But would you cut her a check if you were innocent?

Liked by:

#19 2020-01-31 00:18:17 - Kobe

EagleFWB wrote:

No it's fair... But would you cut her a check if you were innocent?

My initial answer is no, don’t cut the check. If I am a millionaire in my early 20’s, with The Los Angeles Lakers, NBA and the best lawyers that money can buy all advising me to settle in exchange for no jury trial or charges, it’s not that easy unfortunately.  Can you live with just knowing the truth and having it “go away”.....

#20 2020-01-31 00:37:40 - Kobe

EagleFWB (176)

He was an established player when it happened. Don't remember or care his age. Fair enough point though.

Do you live with that memory forvever, or do lawyers & money convince you to forget about it.?

Board footer