CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-07 15:44:09 - Goodbye, Coach Hopson

AndreWhere (1252)

Goodbye, Coach Hopson

Looks like Hop really is doing the program a big favor and stepping aside.

Hop started with a bang, coaching the team to a comeback win at Kentucky to start 2016.

2017 saw a lot of excitement, too, with crazy wins against LA Tech and Marshall, but big problems were starting to become evident. No one would ever really step in to replace Nick Mullens at QB.

By 2018, all of Todd Monken's old weapons were gone. Not even the most freezer-burned of pizza companies wanted USM in its bowels.

Year four started well enough. The team had too much speed for the bottom two-thirds or so of SUNSWACUSA, and Abrahop were generally able to parlay that into a win.

The wheels fell off the wagon against better teams, though, and a four-game televised skid put Hopson into the doghouse for good.

One thing I never got about Hop was the "one of us" claim. Just picking the first name that pops to mind, John Thompson spent longer as an assistant at USM than Hop. I'm sure there have been others.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#2 2020-09-07 15:49:06 - Goodbye, Coach Hopson

stinkfist (764)

#3 2020-09-08 10:54:26 - Goodbye, Coach Hopson

Mao Tse-gore (412)

Re: Goodbye, Coach Hopson

AndreWhere wrote:

Looks like Hop really is doing the program a big favor and stepping aside.

Hop started with a bang, coaching the team to a comeback win at Kentucky to start 2016.

2017 saw a lot of excitement, too, with crazy wins against LA Tech and Marshall, but big problems were starting to become evident. No one would ever really step in to replace Nick Mullens at QB.

By 2018, all of Todd Monken's old weapons were gone. Not even the most freezer-burned of pizza companies wanted USM in its bowels.

Year four started well enough. The team had too much speed for the bottom two-thirds or so of SUNSWACUSA, and Abrahop were generally able to parlay that into a win.

The wheels fell off the wagon against better teams, though, and a four-game televised skid put Hopson into the doghouse for good.

One thing I never got about Hop was the "one of us" claim. Just picking the first name that pops to mind, John Thompson spent longer as an assistant at USM than Hop. I'm sure there have been others.

If they stick with the "one of us" doctrine they will whiff again.

We still suck bigtime.
There's a big difference between optimism and an altered state of reality.
Not another dime, not another mile, not another minute.
MSFlag.gif

#4 2020-09-08 12:30:40 - Goodbye, Coach Hopson

AndreWhere (1252)

There are still people on Cuckerbook talking about how "we need someone who bleeds black and gold!" and talking about "loyalty."

It's mind-boggling how stupid this is. Like, WTF have you been watching these last 4 years?

#5 2020-09-08 13:15:37 - Goodbye, Coach Hopson

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

USM is that job you take between jobs

I don’t want a guy that bleeds black and gold.....eliminate Nix
I want a young guy who hasn’t made more than $500K and has never been a D1 coach.
I want someone that excelled at $hit University position jobs and has moved at least 5 times over the past 10 years because someone else wanted him
I want someone who has coached or played in the Big 12 over the past 10 years
I don’t want a retread.....eliminate Freeze
I don’t want a redemption story.....eliminate Briles
I want Scotty to stay at twice his current salary as our OC.....provided he benches Jack for someone else.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#6 2020-09-08 13:24:22 - Goodbye, Coach Hopson

Lloydlake (139)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

USM provided he benches Jack for someone else.

Do we have anybody else ???

#7 2020-09-08 13:31:11 - Goodbye, Coach Hopson

Lloydlake wrote:

Maybe.....Jack had his shot. See if someone else can move the ball. Didn’t we get a guy from WVU? We have to shake this up and why not see if someone else can do it. Season is already pissed away might as well see what the other guys got.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#8 2020-09-08 13:55:36 - Goodbye, Coach Hopson

AndreWhere (1252)

Having Walden around is a unique opportunity. USM is really playing with "house money" at this point. No one is expecting a bunch of wins this year. Everyone had pretty much resigned themselves to a crappy season followed by a search for a coaching staff. If Walden doesn't work out, that's exactly what happens.

If he does work out, well, USM has somehow stumbled into a very fortunate situation.

My fear is that whatever poisoned the waters when Hopson was still around will follow his staff as they try to close out the year, but if Walden can disprove that theory then he probably is pretty damned good.

#9 2020-09-08 14:00:15 - Goodbye, Coach Hopson

Ace Barker (260)
Website

Who will the President allow?

Ace...

#10 2020-09-08 16:04:19 - Goodbye, Coach Hopson

SoMs Eagle (189)

Walden turns us around and he’s probably gone. Better still be actively looking. Especially if he turns us around.

#11 2020-09-08 16:59:26 - Goodbye, Coach Hopson

Up2Stuff (18)

Lloydlake wrote:

They could give Austin Davis a call.

#12 2020-09-08 17:17:22 - Goodbye, Coach Hopson

AndreWhere (1252)

I'd like to think Chip Lindsey would be on USM's list should things not pan out with Walden.

#13 2020-09-08 18:29:36 - Goodbye, Coach Hopson

Mao Tse-gore (412)

AndreWhere wrote:

There are still people on Cuckerbook talking about how "we need someone who bleeds black and gold!" and talking about "loyalty."

It's mind-boggling how stupid this is. Like, WTF have you been watching these last 4 years?

Hop wasn't entirely unlike Bower in his later mediocrity years.

We still suck bigtime.
There's a big difference between optimism and an altered state of reality.
Not another dime, not another mile, not another minute.
MSFlag.gif

#14 2020-09-08 18:55:37 - Goodbye, Coach Hopson

TheDudeAbides (59)

Ace Barker wrote:

Who will the President allow?

Ace...

He will allow whomever the college board tells him to allow. Robert Johnson selling his soul to the devil ain’t got nothin on RB.

Liked by:

#15 2020-09-08 19:05:37 - Goodbye, Coach Hopson

I would imagine we will be interviewing several FCS coaches over the next few weeks since they are all at home watching reruns of House Hunters and Cobra Kai seasons 1 and 2......

jwNGfb6.gif

Liked by:

Board footer