CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-10 06:02:39 - The obsession USM fans have with bringing back former coaches is weird

AndreWhere (1252)

The obsession USM fans have with bringing back former coaches is weird

I  wonder about the psychology of it. Maybe our little corner of the world is very susceptible to nostalgia. It's definitely something I perceive about the New Orleans area, and Hattiesburg really isn't that far from New Orleans.

And it's not even just the fans at this point. The Clarion-Liar and 24/7 Sports both have crap out there talking about Fedora and Monken.

Even the Hugh Freeze speculation is tinged with oneofusitis. He has a degree from USM! La-dee-dah!

I am not really inclined to think about a new HC until we see a little bit of Walden's work. If we reach the point where we know we need a new HC, I would like to see more realistic options than guys who've already had their shot, people who are already at some other school with deeper pockets, etc.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#2 2020-09-10 06:21:54 - The obsession USM fans have with bringing back former coaches is weird

Ace Barker (260)
Website

Re: The obsession USM fans have with bringing back former coaches is weird

AndreWhere wrote:

I  wonder about the psychology of it. Maybe our little corner of the world is very susceptible to nostalgia. It's definitely something I perceive about the New Orleans area, and Hattiesburg really isn't that far from New Orleans.

And it's not even just the fans at this point. The Clarion-Liar and 24/7 Sports both have crap out there talking about Fedora and Monken.

Even the Hugh Freeze speculation is tinged with oneofusitis. He has a degree from USM! La-dee-dah!

I am not really inclined to think about a new HC until we see a little bit of Walden's work. If we reach the point where we know we need a new HC, I would like to see more realistic options than guys who've already had their shot, people who are already at some other school with deeper pockets, etc.

Bring back Pooley Hubert!

Ace ...

#3 2020-09-10 06:51:27 - The obsession USM fans have with bringing back former coaches is weird

Black Diamond Reb (418)

Bring back Pie Vann

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#4 2020-09-10 07:25:38 - The obsession USM fans have with bringing back former coaches is weird

AndreWhere (1252)

I could get on board with bringing back James Green. Someone should slip his file onto MPH's desk.

Liked by:

#5 2020-09-10 12:57:56 - The obsession USM fans have with bringing back former coaches is weird

Up2Stuff (18)

I agree.  I have posted many times how confusing and bizarre this is to me.

Anyone that has this obsession should set the job of coaching aside and consider:

1 - If there was a job opening in any area other than sports at Southern Miss, would you want it be filled with "one of us" just because it was their dream job - even if they did a mediocre job (If so, this may explain a lot)?  Or would you want them to hire the best person for that job even if they had to fill it again 4 or 5 years later?

2 - If YOU were offered a job at Southern Miss, wouldn't you be a bit puzzled if you were offered the job just because your had a degree from Southern Miss? How motivated are you if they tell you that the reason you were being hired is because they know you will stay forever and they don't have to pay you much?

3 - If you ARE motivated and take a job at Southern Miss, and do everything you possibly can for Southern Miss while there, would you think it makes sense for others to question your decision to leave if you are offered a better job and more than twice the money?

I'm not saying that some people that are extremely qualified for better jobs and more money will not stay where they are simply because they love an area - that's fine. It's just that when you hire them, you need to hire them because they are the very best you can possibly find. Don't let the hiring decision be based on them staying if and when something better comes along - that's just flat out stupidity. The only reason someone is going to come along and offer them double the money is if they do a bang up job for you.

As for the Fedora/Monken/Freeze or anyone else that has been at Southern Miss in the past, I will say that I don't have a problem with it IF they are the best qualified candidate that is interested. But hiring them should not have ANYTHING to do with them being associated with Southern Miss in the past. The question should be - ARE THEY THE VERY BEST AVAILABLE CANDIDATE? period!

Last edited by Up2Stuff (2020-09-10 13:04:34)

#6 2020-09-10 13:48:58 - The obsession USM fans have with bringing back former coaches is weird

Yo Mama (44)

AndreWhere wrote:

I could get on board with bringing back James Green. Someone should slip his file onto MPH's desk.

But the tater board says Southern Miss isn’t ready for a black head coach, durp!

Liked by:

#7 2020-09-10 15:05:27 - The obsession USM fans have with bringing back former coaches is weird

Black Diamond Reb (418)

Up2Stuff wrote:

IF there was a job opening

IF they did a mediocre job

IF so, this may explain a lot

IF they had to fill it again

IF YOU were offered a job

IF you were offered the job just because

IF they tell you the reason

IF you ARE motivated

IF you are offered a better job

IF and when something better comes along

IF they do a bang up job for you.

IF they are the best qualified candidate

T

T

T

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#8 2020-09-10 15:20:17 - The obsession USM fans have with bringing back former coaches is weird

AndreWhere (1252)

Yo Mama wrote:

But the tater board says Southern Miss isn’t ready for a black head coach, durp!

That was stupid even by the standards of Facebook. The thrust of it was something like, "shoot, if we hire a black coach, everyone will constantly be picking nits and looking to blame him for shit!"  lol  lol  lol

Man, we fired a guy after 12 games and he was 100% blue-eyed, pasty-faced, ofay South Carolina hick. If you come coach at USM and we happen to notice that you suck, that is in no way racial.

And I'm not sure we could fire coaches any faster than we have been. Bower was the one guy who maybe got to linger a few years too long, and when USM finally did fire him people acted like they'd just executed Santa Claus or something.

#9 2020-09-10 16:31:36 - The obsession USM fans have with bringing back former coaches is weird

Mao Tse-gore (412)

The vast majority on the EP board are overdue for lobotomy and are good candidates for sterilization as well.

Say we hire a new pseudo competent coaching staff (43% probability) and we win 9-10 games a year in this god forsaken conference, what is that really going to do for us? Trading shit losses for shit wins is still shit.

But don't let me deter you from joining the festivities.

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.acting-man.com%2Fblog%2Fmedia%2F2014%2F07%2Fflaggelation.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

We still suck bigtime.
There's a big difference between optimism and an altered state of reality.
Not another dime, not another mile, not another minute.
MSFlag.gif

Liked by:

#10 2020-09-10 18:37:07 - The obsession USM fans have with bringing back former coaches is weird

Yo Mama (44)

Mao Tse-gore wrote:

Say we hire a new pseudo competent coaching staff (43% probability) and we win 9-10 games a year in this god forsaken conference, what is that really going to do for us?

6E6C652F-2E5E-4005-8B1F-D77BAF5195CE.gif

Board footer