CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-20 06:34:58 - Things are about to get ugly

AndreWhere (1252)

Things are about to get ugly

Seems to me last night's game was pretty pivotal. Win that game, and you've just broken a long losing streak and debuted a new head coach in the best way possible.

Either way, you're probably not beating Tulane, or North Texas, or FAU, but that's kind of the problem, I think. If that's how it unfolds, then it's 8 straight losses and a head coach who's 0-4. Then, maybe the team goes out and beats a really bad UTEP team. Maybe they strike and don't even get on that rusty old DC-10.

After that, there are several games on the schedule that looked winnable, but I'm afraid losing is a disease and USM has contracted it. And unlike LA Tech, those upcoming opponents have all actually been playing games.

Really looks like we get to the end with one or two USM victories, and Walden making a quick exit. It's unfortunate, but I think it hinges on last night and a single point.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#2 2020-09-20 06:57:46 - Things are about to get ugly

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Re: Things are about to get ugly

You can’t look at wins and losses in 2020. The first game already told us how this season would play out. Honestly, you can say that across the entire college football landscape. All of these “ranked” teams like Louisville, Miami, OK State, Iowa St last week.....it’s all a joke. You will have a giant asterisk on the “CFB champion” this season.

The conversion attempt, going for it on 4th down, all meaningless this season. If we let something as trivial as that motivates a fan to exclude Walden now and move on to a P5 power offensive coordinator immediately well good luck. One, it’s a giant waste of money we don’t have and 2, if you think getting the next OC from a school like Okie State will be the answer again it’s equally if not greater a terrible gamble. I mean, the OK State OC couldn’t even get to 300 yards of TOTAL offense at home against a 4-8 Tulsa team from 2019. I bet this USM offense could clear 300 against Tulsa on the road. Our problem is our defense would give Tulsa 400 yards and 25 points.

Look at everything in 2020, even what’s going on outside of Hattiesburg, and then frame a real expectation for the next three seasons. What can you afford, and who wants to be here to make their name as a FBS coach.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Liked by:

#3 2020-09-20 07:53:54 - Things are about to get ugly

AndreWhere (1252)

I know it's not all about wins. The problem is the same problem that finally sank Hopson: you have all these defections, and what coaches used to call "distractions."

A coach would be crucified for using that word now, but that's what they are. Scotty's voice has to compete with ESPN, preacher man, and the likes of "Coach Paulie G." None of them are saying, "go bust your ass and win games for Nowhere State" anymore.

There's still some cachet in a flat-billed crimson hat with an "A" on it, but everywhere else, it's really hard to convince the players they're not dupes of the "system" now. Losing streaks don't help- whether Scotty's the best football coach we have a shot at or not.

And if Scotty does get the job, non-interim, he needs to make a seven-figure salary. If "we's really that po," then "we's really needin' to drop football." 

In fact, me watching in 2021 (to say nothing of spending money) is 100% contingent on USM paying its coaches the prevailing wage for what they do. That's a promise. I wouldn't watch Sean Payton coach USM for $500,000. I am done. Figure it out, or do it without me (and a lot of other people, I'm sure).

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#4 2020-09-20 08:20:49 - Things are about to get ugly

TheChosenOne (295)

I’m not on the Walden train screaming hand him the keys to the shed. He has rest of season to prove rather he’s the one or not. We’re fortunate to give him a uncommitted opportunity.

Saying this, you can’t expect 180 turnaround in two weeks.  LaTech is and has been a solid team; well coached. All things considered thought Waldens debut was solid.  Did he make rookie mistakes? Hell yea.  Did Bower and Fedora each of their first year. Yep, they did

Still believe Southern Miss should find and offer the best coach available. Don’t just offer the first person but Walden did a good job last night. Look forward seeing what he can do week after week.

Liked by:

#5 2020-09-20 10:19:05 - Things are about to get ugly

Black Diamond Reb (418)

Midseason form indeed.

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#6 2020-09-20 12:21:24 - Things are about to get ugly

admin (289)
Administrator

One guy's semi-interesting take on it:

http://bannersociety.com/2020/9/17/2144 … yZATJeat-o

Don't know if we'll get the chance, but I'd like to see Walden with some of his own talent and assistants. Hopson seems to me to have attracted a lot of... wackjobs.

#7 2020-09-20 12:33:15 - Things are about to get ugly

Black Diamond Reb (418)

I knew Bower personally before I became a sportswriter. He grew up with my mother in Georgia.

dog-pooping-on-grass-due-to-bad-food-ingredients.jpg

"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."

#8 2020-09-20 12:46:18 - Things are about to get ugly

Mao Tse-gore (412)

Team and coach have a gut-full of regret, and motivation. The next one doesn't slip away.
images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSvfWyvvNhO0kHSog46EvkB_kEfME1hLqHXyg&usqp=CAU

We still suck bigtime.
There's a big difference between optimism and an altered state of reality.
Not another dime, not another mile, not another minute.
MSFlag.gif

#9 2020-09-21 14:57:25 - Things are about to get ugly

Bleacher Eagle (44)

AndreWhere wrote:

If that's how it unfolds, then it's 8 straight losses and a head coach who's 0-4.

If this happens, it's gonna be a rough season for Scotty. He seems like a rah rah type of coach who tries to get the team to play emotionally. One, you can't get a football team emotionally fired up every single week. Typically just a few times per year. If you start out with 4 straight losses, then those pregame pump up speeches are gonna start falling on deaf ears. That stuff is great when you're winning, but roll your eyes embarrassing when you keep losing.

AndreWhere wrote:

losing is a disease

100% correct. If we start the season 0-5, this team will likely lay down and quit on their way to 2-10, maybe 3-9. They'll know the season is lost and they'll know that likely none of these coaches will return. It could get brutally bad.

Last edited by Bleacher Eagle (2020-09-21 17:51:48)

#10 2020-09-21 15:07:44 - Things are about to get ugly

Black Diamond Reb (418)

Bleacher Eagle wrote:

If this happens

If you start

If we start

Hear our battle cry

Board footer