CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-24 00:18:32 - Ranking the UAB losses

beagle (173)

Ranking the UAB losses

1) 2011 - the single worst loss in program history. With a possible trip to the Sugar Bowl on the line, Southern Miss jumped out to an early 14-0 lead on a chilly Thursday night in Birmingham in front of 233 people. However, the lead didn't last long as UAB stormed back and eventually took down the ranked Golden Eagles, winning 34-31 in a stunning defeat for USM. The loss knocked the Fighting Fedoras out of the Sugar Bowl, allowing the Hawaii Bowl fiasco to take place, which destroyed the once-proud program.

2) 2009 - This is an underrated TTT moment that few talk about. Coming into the game, Southern Miss was a perfect 9-0 against the Blazers, including a 70-14 trouncing in 2008 on homecoming that spurred that season's turnaround. All that didn't mean shit in another Thursday nighter on a fall night in Birmingham. Down 23-17 with a minute to go, USM needed a TD to pull a win out of its ass. But Austin Davis threw a pick 6 sealing the Golden Eagles' fate. Davis tore his ACL in the game and ended up missing the rest of the year. While Martevious Young filled in nicely, Southern Miss finished 7-6 and lost to directional Tennessee in the New Orleans Bowl.

3) 2010 - In a crazy, up-and-down season, Southern Miss faced UAB in a 11am Halloween eve thriller at Roberts Stadium. Down 35-21 in the 4th quarter, USM great Austin Davis orchestrated a comeback to get the Eagles to OT. Southern Miss scored first in the second overtime to go up 49-42, but UAB came right back and scored a touchdown of their own to make it 49-48. UAB coach and Alabama legend Neil Calloway decided to go for 2 and the win. Blazer QB Bryant Ellis found Jeffrey Anderson  the endzone as UAB pulled off yet another upset against Southern Miss. The loss effectively took USM out of the CUSA title race.  Many USM football historians say that this was the game that got defensive coordinator Todd Bradford shitcanned.

4) 2012 - The Toilet Bowl. Two teams with a combined 1 win met in this game in front of 521 people at Roberts Stadium. I snapped a 43-game home streak to boycott Ellis Johnson. Early on, it looked like Southern Miss would get a W, as the Eagles had a 16-0 lead at the half. The Blazers came roaring back with a ferocious 2nd half rally in this classic CUSA matchup. UAB outscored USM 27-3 in the 2nd half en route to a 27-19 victory. This was UAB's 4th straight win over Southern Miss, and it kept USM in the winless column for the season. The Golden Eagles would not win a game in 2012, and head coach Ellis Johnson was fired following the end of the season.

5) 2014 - UAB's final stand (or so we thought). A year after waxing UAB to snap the 23-game losing streak, offensive guru Todd Monken led his Southern Miss team against a Blazer squad that needed a win to get to 6 wins and bowl eligiblity. With most USM fans staying at home to watch the Egg Bowl, UAB crushed the hapless Eagles by a score of 45-24. UAB's program ended up getting disbanded due to insufferable Bammers and they didn't go to a bowl depsite winning 6 games. The program eventually got started back up, and UAB is off to a 4-3 start in 2017.

"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#2 2017-10-24 06:18:34 - Ranking the UAB losses

admin (289)
Administrator

Re: Ranking the UAB losses

I was at the 2014 game and it was completely depressing. Hard to believe Monken won 9 games the next year.

I'd like to say "2011 is a bit overrated; we caught some breaks that year, too" but I can't. That game was utterly inexcusable.

#3 2017-10-24 06:50:00 - Ranking the UAB losses

tg300 (439)

beagle wrote:

1) 2011 - the single worst loss in program history. With a possible trip to the Sugar Bowl on the line, Southern Miss jumped out to an early 14-0 lead on a chilly Thursday night in Birmingham in front of 233 people. However, the lead didn't last long as UAB stormed back and eventually took down the ranked Golden Eagles, winning 34-31 in a stunning defeat for USM. The loss knocked the Fighting Fedoras out of the Sugar Bowl, allowing the Hawaii Bowl fiasco to take place, which destroyed the once-proud program.

2) 2009 - This is an underrated TTT moment that few talk about. Coming into the game, Southern Miss was a perfect 9-0 against the Blazers, including a 70-14 trouncing in 2008 on homecoming that spurred that season's turnaround. All that didn't mean shit in another Thursday nighter on a fall night in Birmingham. Down 23-17 with a minute to go, USM needed a TD to pull a win out of its ass. But Austin Davis threw a pick 6 sealing the Golden Eagles' fate. Davis tore his ACL in the game and ended up missing the rest of the year. While Martevious Young filled in nicely, Southern Miss finished 7-6 and lost to directional Tennessee in the New Orleans Bowl.

3) 2010 - In a crazy, up-and-down season, Southern Miss faced UAB in a 11am Halloween eve thriller at Roberts Stadium. Down 35-21 in the 4th quarter, USM great Austin Davis orchestrated a comeback to get the Eagles to OT. Southern Miss scored first in the second overtime to go up 49-42, but UAB came right back and scored a touchdown of their own to make it 49-48. UAB coach and Alabama legend Neil Calloway decided to go for 2 and the win. Blazer QB Bryant Ellis found Jeffrey Anderson  the endzone as UAB pulled off yet another upset against Southern Miss. The loss effectively took USM out of the CUSA title race.  Many USM football historians say that this was the game that got defensive coordinator Todd Bradford shitcanned.

4) 2012 - The Toilet Bowl. Two teams with a combined 1 win met in this game in front of 521 people at Roberts Stadium. I snapped a 43-game home streak to boycott Ellis Johnson. Early on, it looked like Southern Miss would get a W, as the Eagles had a 16-0 lead at the half. The Blazers came roaring back with a ferocious 2nd half rally in this classic CUSA matchup. UAB outscored USM 27-3 in the 2nd half en route to a 27-19 victory. This was UAB's 4th straight win over Southern Miss, and it kept USM in the winless column for the season. The Golden Eagles would not win a game in 2012, and head coach Ellis Johnson was fired following the end of the season.

5) 2014 - UAB's final stand (or so we thought). A year after waxing UAB to snap the 23-game losing streak, offensive guru Todd Monken led his Southern Miss team against a Blazer squad that needed a win to get to 6 wins and bowl eligiblity. With most USM fans staying at home to watch the Egg Bowl, UAB crushed the hapless Eagles by a score of 45-24. UAB's program ended up getting disbanded due to insufferable Bammers and they didn't go to a bowl depsite winning 6 games. The program eventually got started back up, and UAB is off to a 4-3 start in 2017.

Caught the bus at the Yurt for the 2011 game.  Drank way too much beer on the way over.  Met some friends and tailgated and drank way to much more.  The team arrived and came off the bus like they were at a funeral.

Apparently they were.

BTW, the coldest I have ever been at a game that wasn't played in the Liberty Bowl.

#4 2017-10-24 07:05:41 - Ranking the UAB losses

Ace Barker (260)
Website

Lose2UAB.jpg

Ace...

#5 2017-10-24 07:41:40 - Ranking the UAB losses

skyvoyager (177)

the only difference between a puppy and those that are still butt-hurt over bower is that a puppy quits whining after 6 months

Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

#6 2017-10-24 08:06:41 - Ranking the UAB losses

Ace Barker (260)
Website

skyvoyager wrote:

the only difference between a puppy and those that are still butt-hurt over bower is that a puppy quits whining after 6 months

Who is butthurt?  His teams are the only one that didn't lose to UAB. If Coach Hopson wins, I will make a new one.

I had this one for Coach Monken's team until they lost.

MonkenUAB.jpg

Ace...

Last edited by Ace Barker (2017-10-24 08:08:31)

#7 2017-10-24 08:53:43 - Ranking the UAB losses

TheChosenOne (295)

UAB to Southern Miss is Southern Miss to La Tech

#8 2017-10-24 09:56:07 - Ranking the UAB losses

skyvoyager (177)

Ace Barker wrote:
skyvoyager wrote:

Who is butthurt?  His teams are the only one that didn't lose to UAB. If Coach Hopson wins, I will make a new one.

http://www.atlantamafia.com/MonkenUAB.jpg

Ace...

here is an image of a coach that lost to uab in 2000 as that is a barometer of good coaches

sabanlsu.jpg

Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

#9 2017-10-24 10:09:13 - Ranking the UAB losses

Ace Barker (260)
Website

skyvoyager wrote:
Ace Barker wrote:
skyvoyager wrote:

Ace...

here is an image of a coach that lost to uab in 2000 as that is a barometer of good coaches

http://collegesportsunfiltered.com/img/ … banlsu.jpg

You seem to have the aching backside over Bower.

Ace...

#10 2017-10-24 10:15:55 - Ranking the UAB losses

Eaglebird Humperdink (142)

beagle wrote:

1) 2011
2) 2009
3) 2010
4) 2012
5) 2014

I can't really dispute your ranking, or the reasoning behind each spot. So, if USM loses to UAB this week (and I don't think we will lose this game), where will it rank on your list?

#11 2017-10-24 10:42:00 - Ranking the UAB losses

skyvoyager (177)

Ace Barker wrote:
skyvoyager wrote:
Ace Barker wrote:

Ace...

Ace...

QED

#12 2017-10-24 10:48:09 - Ranking the UAB losses

Ace Barker (260)
Website

skyvoyager wrote:
Ace Barker wrote:
skyvoyager wrote:

Ace...

QED

Yep!

I will make one Coach Hopson after this weekend.

Ace...

#13 2017-10-24 11:38:28 - Ranking the UAB losses

beagle (173)

Eaglebird Humperdink wrote:
beagle wrote:

1) 2011
2) 2009
3) 2010
4) 2012
5) 2014

I can't really dispute your ranking, or the reasoning behind each spot. So, if USM loses to UAB this week (and I don't think we will lose this game), where will it rank on your list?

Probably 4th of 6. Would cost us a shot at the SUNWACUSA title. No way it goes in the top 3. The program was still alive then.

"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#14 2017-10-24 11:58:48 - Ranking the UAB losses

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

ELOSS2.jpeg

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Board footer