CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#21 2017-10-30 14:10:44 - #EmptyNeyland campaign

Eaglebird Humperdink (142)

Re: #EmptyNeyland campaign

admin wrote:

A well-attended, competitive home game against an SEC opponent seems like exactly the sort of thing that might actually make some new fans.

You tell me. Were the 37k who attended the 2015 Mississippi State game in Hattiesburg in attendance for the Austin Peay game the following week?

#22 2017-10-30 14:30:32 - #EmptyNeyland campaign

admin (289)
Administrator

Eaglebird Humperdink wrote:
admin wrote:

A well-attended, competitive home game against an SEC opponent seems like exactly the sort of thing that might actually make some new fans.

You tell me. Were the 37k who attended the 2015 Mississippi State game in Hattiesburg in attendance for the Austin Peay game the following week?

The 2015 game wasn't competitive. Had it been, I could answer your question in the affirmative.

And what are you even saying?  You like Gilbert's approach to this football season? Hasn't it completely backfired on him?

#23 2017-10-30 14:37:04 - #EmptyNeyland campaign

Black Diamond Reb (418)

Were the 37k who attended the 2015 Mississippi State game in Hattiesburg in attendance for the Austin Peay game the following week?

No .. They were in Starkville watching LSU.

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

Liked by:

#24 2017-10-30 14:56:39 - #EmptyNeyland campaign

Eaglebird Humperdink (142)

admin wrote:
admin wrote:

The 2015 game wasn't competitive. Had it been, I could answer your question in the affirmative.

And what are you even saying?  You like Gilbert's approach to this football season? Hasn't it completely backfired on him?

I'm saying there are 2 things you can do to f-up the football season. One was in place before the AD got settled into his office:

1. Schedule full of  non-marquee C-USA teams playing at the rock, and throw in a SWAC team for good measure.

2. Lose some of those games.

What I'm saying is that you can put anyone in the AD's office, and it's pretty much out of his hands until it's time to hire a head coach.

#25 2017-10-30 16:22:51 - #EmptyNeyland campaign

admin (289)
Administrator

I'm saying there are 2 things you can do to f-up the football season. One was in place before the AD got settled into his office:

1. Schedule full of  non-marquee C-USA teams playing at the rock, and throw in a SWAC team for good measure.

2. Lose some of those games.

What I'm saying is that you can put anyone in the AD's office, and it's pretty much out of his hands until it's time to hire a head coach.

I agree 100% that our home schedule is full of garbage teams that just turn people off.

I like playing a SWAC team at home every year. They bring fans, bring a band, and generally make the stadium a more lively place. And they lose. I went to the Southern game. It was fun.

As for the "lose some of those games" part, I don't agree that the AD has no influence there. Look at the Kentucky game: I was depressed before Kentucky even scored a TD by the way the crowd and stadium looked. It was a shock and an embarrassment. Our stadium looks like shit empty.

Our team has performed very poorly at home. I see a connection between that and the fact that Gilbert has absolutely killed anything resembling an atmosphere at M.M. Roberts with his ticket pricing schemes.

I said it before: that Kentucky game should have been a party. There should have been 30,000+ there even if Gilbert had to round people up with vans stocked with barbecue, Donna Brazile-style. The players would have responded to that, and we might even have won and made some new fans. Instead we got "the all-time greatest night for nacho revenue since 2011."

The game was a spectacular failure on Gilbert's part.

Also- fixed the damned speakers. You don't have the money? Fire someone. I guarantee there's someone on staff who's less important than having a functional sound system.

Liked by:

#26 2017-10-30 16:35:52 - #EmptyNeyland campaign

CajunEagle (44)

I really hope that anyone over 60 listened and saw what was magical about that Southern game.  I got up and walked to the Touchdown Terrace thing, and stood there by the railing and listened to "America the Beautiful" play by both bands.  For some reason I said aloud,  "12-15 years ago.....that never would have happened in South Mississippi".  It was something to remember.

#27 2017-10-30 16:43:10 - #EmptyNeyland campaign

AndreWhere (1252)

CajunEagle wrote:

I really hope that anyone over 60 listened and saw what was magical about that Southern game.  I got up and walked to the Touchdown Terrace thing, and stood there by the railing and listened to "America the Beautiful" play by both bands.  For some reason I said aloud,  "12-15 years ago.....that never would have happened in South Mississippi".  It was something to remember.

I liked that a lot, too, and I'm not even 42. And believe me, that was an honor for the USM band. Southern's marching band is probably the best in the country, and it's not even close.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#28 2017-10-30 18:20:12 - #EmptyNeyland campaign

99beers (303)

You cant package one histiorically shitty sec team in a home schedule and expect folks to buy tickets!   Aint gonna happen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

#29 2017-10-30 18:26:09 - #EmptyNeyland campaign

AndreWhere (1252)

99beers wrote:

You cant package one histiorically shitty sec team in a home schedule and expect folks to buy tickets!   Aint gonna happen.

You can but you have to package it much better than Gilbert and his staff did.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#30 2017-10-30 19:26:58 - #EmptyNeyland campaign

Black Diamond Reb (418)

AndreWhere wrote:

poop-in-a-box-header.png

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

Liked by:

#31 2017-10-30 19:30:23 - #EmptyNeyland campaign

admin (289)
Administrator

Black Diamond Reb wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

http://www.bdcwire.com/wp-content/uploa … header.png

LMAO it's the perfect gift for the person you care enough about to say, "here's a big huge dog turd, you idiot."

Board footer