CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-03 17:44:43 - My take on Gilbert and Hopson

keyboard kowboy (72)

My take on Gilbert and Hopson

FWIW - I ve known Jay Hopson for many years and think he is as decent and down to earth head coach I have ever known . I want him to succeed so badly for his sake and Southern Miss. Having said that I am leaning toward doubt after the U A B game. He will get another year but he has to prove something or I believe he will be out of here . It is worth noting that the majority of our past head coaches have moved up and then out -which brings me to the Gilbert situation. I am always slow to criticize when I do not actually KNOW what is going on behind the scenes and before someone has had a chance to put his team in place and adequate time to
evaluate and plan . Having said all that I am reading Gilbert as a straight up B S -er who talks like alot of other duds I have heard try to use the same type of language to give the false impression that we are getting things accomplished . SO far I have not seen one indication that he has a PLAN or the drive to move us forward . I hope I am dead wrong and will be glad to admit it if he proves me to be . Has anyone else noted that while we have had MANY head coaches move UP that we have never had an athletic director that did so . Correct me if I am wrong . Southern Miss needs to get out of the box and if we are going to die lets go out in flames doing something innovative and risky . Well I am not even sure anything is risky at this point other than taking not taking big risks . A few months ago I would have said Beers was crazy for advocating we go indy , but I am now willing to give him the benefit of the doubt .Not sure it would help , but we are slowly going to die anyway so why not try ? Sorry so long - frustrated .

Liked by:

#2 2017-11-03 18:21:45 - My take on Gilbert and Hopson

Lloydlake (139)

Re: My take on Gilbert and Hopson

Yep. SouthernMiss football is like watching
Grass grow
Paint dry
Mold form
Ice melt
And, it makes it even worse that we have to watch MOST of it via computer/phone.
I would almost rather have the MAC deal where we play Wednesday nights, on real tv.

#3 2017-11-03 18:23:48 - My take on Gilbert and Hopson

99beers (303)

Beers is not crazy.  Beers for AD!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

#4 2017-11-03 18:34:22 - My take on Gilbert and Hopson

Black Diamond Reb (418)

keyboard kowboy wrote:

We have never had an athletic director move up. Correct me if I am wrong.

Terry Don Phillips

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

Liked by:

#5 2017-11-03 18:36:17 - My take on Gilbert and Hopson

AndreWhere (1252)

Black Diamond Reb wrote:
keyboard kowboy wrote:

Terry Don Phillips

LOL. Kinda think we dodged a bullet with that guy.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#6 2017-11-03 18:43:45 - My take on Gilbert and Hopson

Black Diamond Reb (418)

AndreWhere wrote:
Black Diamond Reb wrote:
keyboard kowboy wrote:

Terry Don Phillips

Kinda think we dodged a bullet with that guy.

Do elaborate

"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."

#7 2017-11-03 18:48:10 - My take on Gilbert and Hopson

admin (289)
Administrator

Black Diamond Reb wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:
Black Diamond Reb wrote:

Terry Don Phillips

Kinda think we dodged a bullet with that guy.

Do elaborate

Wasn't he the man we tried to hire away from USL who quit after a day? That's pretty flaky, man. I understand he went on to a long career at bigger schools than Southern Miss, but did any of his departments ever field a team that beat us? USL didn't and I don't think OK State beat us when he was there, though they tried.

#8 2017-11-03 18:53:17 - My take on Gilbert and Hopson

Black Diamond Reb (418)

From what I was told from people on the scene was he basically got here, looked around, and said "Oh Hell No" and got back in the car.

I'd say he "moved up" from his short lived stint here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Don_Phillips

#9 2017-11-03 18:58:42 - My take on Gilbert and Hopson

admin (289)
Administrator

Black Diamond Reb wrote:

From what I was told from people on the scene was he basically got here, looked around, and said "Oh Hell No" and got back in the car.

I'd say he "moved up" from his short lived stint here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Don_Phillips

That's funny. I'd always figured he took one look at our financial reports and hauled ass.

I wonder what he saw on / around campus that made him run. Could have been that transvestite that used to walk the streets east of highway 49, I guess, or that rusty 4th street pedestrian bridge we used to have back then.

#10 2017-11-03 19:04:17 - My take on Gilbert and Hopson

Black Diamond Reb (418)

admin wrote:

I wonder what he saw on / around campus that made him run. Could have been our financial reports.

Now you're catching on. Amongst other things.

#11 2017-11-03 19:53:51 - My take on Gilbert and Hopson

admin (289)
Administrator

Black Diamond Reb wrote:

Now you're catching on. Amongst other things.

I'm also catching other things? Scary.

#12 2017-11-03 22:04:38 - My take on Gilbert and Hopson

keyboard kowboy (72)

I thought about Terry Don Phillips but did not realize that he ever took the job . At any rate , you get my point .

#13 2017-11-04 10:10:25 - My take on Gilbert and Hopson

Eaglebird Humperdink (142)

keyboard kowboy wrote:

FWIW - I ve known Jay Hopson for many years and think he is as decent and down to earth head coach I have ever known. I want him to succeed so badly for his sake and Southern Miss. Having said that I am leaning toward doubt after the U A B game. He will get another year but he has to prove something or I believe he will be out of here . It is worth noting that the majority of our past head coaches have moved up and then out -which brings me to the Gilbert situation. I am always slow to criticize when I do not actually KNOW what is going on behind the scenes and before someone has had a chance to put his team in place and adequate time to
evaluate and plan . Having said all that I am reading Gilbert as a straight up B S -er who talks like alot of other duds I have heard try to use the same type of language to give the false impression that we are getting things accomplished . SO far I have not seen one indication that he has a PLAN or the drive to move us forward . I hope I am dead wrong and will be glad to admit it if he proves me to be . Has anyone else noted that while we have had MANY head coaches move UP that we have never had an athletic director that did so . Correct me if I am wrong . Southern Miss needs to get out of the box and if we are going to die lets go out in flames doing something innovative and risky . Well I am not even sure anything is risky at this point other than taking not taking big risks . A few months ago I would have said Beers was crazy for advocating we go indy , but I am now willing to give him the benefit of the doubt .Not sure it would help , but we are slowly going to die anyway so why not try ? Sorry so long - frustrated .

Well, I'd like to nominate this post for the first  "F. Tot Fitzgerald award for literature".  Come clean. Are you not Insurance Eagle from the Loyalty Board?

Board footer