CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-05 09:22:31 - The rest of the season

AndreWhere (1252)

The rest of the season

USM faces a decent Marshall team plus two one-win teams. Six wins and a bowl seems unavoidable. Seven wins is a real possibility. Beat one decent team and two bad ones, and Hopson gets to say he won 8.

It's seeming like Griggs will play more. That will help.

There's one big problem, though. Attendance, and thus Gilbert's beloved game day revenue numbers, will be awful.

What to do about it will be the first big decision Gilbert faces. He'll probably wimp out and give Hopson an extension after the season.  Wouldn't surprise me if he ends up eating that extension when he fires Hopson after 2018, though.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#2 2017-11-05 09:39:00 - The rest of the season

Eaglebird Humperdink (142)

Re: The rest of the season

AndreWhere wrote:

What to do about it will be the first big decision Gilbert faces. He'll probably wimp out and give Hopson an extension after the season.  Wouldn't surprise me if he ends up eating that extension when he fires Hopson after 2018, though.

I would be surprised if that happens. He's a new AD. He didn't hire Hopson, so Hopson is not his guy. Since MS law prohibits a contract longer than 4 years, any "non-extension" season sort of serves as a yellow flag at USM.

Gilbert gets another bite at the apple after each season, unless he moves on somewhere. If he gets the extension before the 2018 season, I'll eat my prediction.

Last edited by Eaglebird Humperdink (2017-11-05 09:39:15)

#3 2017-11-05 10:09:06 - The rest of the season

B&GBU (259)

If Hop's contract already gives him $ for a simple winning season in this rinky dink conference, and making any piece of shit bowl game then it is already established that that level of result is considered stellar.  And that that low level of result is what is being sold to you and you are expected to be "all in" for.

Seems ridiculous, but I'm not sure they are running the football team, or University for that matter, oriented toward conquest or higher level. So, what is really important to them, what are they really trying to do?

"Did you ever consider that the next level would be a lower one?"

#4 2017-11-05 10:11:18 - The rest of the season

AndreWhere (1252)

Eaglebird Humperdink wrote:

Any "non-extension" season sort of serves as a yellow flag at USM.

That's why I think he'll get an extension. People will say it hurts recruiting if he's on a one-year contract.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#5 2017-11-05 11:30:31 - The rest of the season

Black Diamond Reb (418)

7-5, Poydras Bowl, raise and extension. It's almost as if some expect different. Scary.

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#6 2017-11-05 11:40:59 - The rest of the season

tg300 (439)

Black Diamond Reb wrote:

7-5, Poydras Bowl, raise and extension. It's almost as if some expect different. Scary.

Shut your trap.

I can't stand any more of this inept coaching.

Is Leon available?

What about that Luke guy that coaches the manbearpigs?

Both would be an improvement.

Looks like the trip to NYC is off.

#7 2017-11-05 15:25:09 - The rest of the season

Black Diamond Reb (418)

tg300 wrote:

Looks like the trip to NYC is off.

Yep .. Datoo's teammates let him down again. If they're not gonna try may as well go ahead with Alphabet or All County.

Can we buy an orange Orca cooler with the NY money? Brett says we should.

Don't worry .. Basketball starts any minute. The chix rolled over Antelope Valley Friday night.

"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."

#8 2017-11-05 16:47:09 - The rest of the season

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

This is a true 4-4 team right now (minus the ineptitude of La Tech) with one win against an average SWAC team and another win against an average CUSA UTSA team. The other wins were against teams with losing records including one team that hasn’t won all year.

Hopson beating Rice and/or Charlotte doesn’t earn an extension. We are 8 mill in the hole as an institution so I don’t see us sacrificing another 500K in order to give future potential recruits a warm and fuzzy feeling. Recruits see the results on the field and know enough that Hops future is unstable at best.

Gilbert has seen some of the best coaches in the country on home and opponents sidelines with over 16 years in the SEC between Bama and Tennessee. He knows where Hops strengths and weaknesses lie and last night probably ended any doubt on what Gilbert needs to do in order to be competitive and successful at USM.

Can’t stress enough that our last home game will provide Gilbert the leash he needs to start looking for his guy without being handcuffed by our administration. We will have less than 10K in those stands which is a blessing in disguise. Gilbert wants his people and his hires in place so if you think about it, this season is playing out almost perfectly for Gilbert.

Bennett and Gilby know Hop was a last minute, best available, safe hire due to the timing of Monks exit. Hop is not a victim but a man who is paid well for the results he has provided and will be a solid d coordinator for a decent program making as much money at his next gig. Simply thank the man for his time and effort and start building the program Gilbert was hired for. There will be plenty of talent available with the disruption of big programs firing good head coaches and experienced staffs. I can see Gilbert speaking with a number of good candidates once the season is over and having the ability to pull the trigger if the right person says yes. Hops salary, or lack of, affords us this opportunity.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#9 2017-11-05 16:59:04 - The rest of the season

admin (289)
Administrator

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

This is a true 4-4 team right now (minus the ineptitude of La Tech) with one win against an average SWAC team and another win against an average CUSA UTSA team. The other wins were against teams with losing records including one team that hasn’t won all year.

Hopson beating Rice and/or Charlotte doesn’t earn an extension. We are 8 mill in the hole as an institution so I don’t see us sacrificing another 500K in order to give future potential recruits a warm and fuzzy feeling. Recruits see the results on the field and know enough that Hops future is unstable at best.

Gilbert has seen some of the best coaches in the country on home and opponents sidelines with over 16 years in the SEC between Bama and Tennessee. He knows where Hops strengths and weaknesses lie and last night probably ended any doubt on what Gilbert needs to do in order to be competitive and successful at USM.

Can’t stress enough that our last home game will provide Gilbert the leash he needs to start looking for his guy without being handcuffed by our administration. We will have less than 10K in those stands which is a blessing in disguise. Gilbert wants his people and his hires in place so if you think about it, this season is playing out almost perfectly for Gilbert.

Bennett and Gilby know Hop was a last minute, best available, safe hire due to the timing of Monks exit. Hop is not a victim but a man who is paid well for the results he has provided and will be a solid d coordinator for a decent program making as much money at his next gig. Simply thank the man for his time and effort and start building the program Gilbert was hired for. There will be plenty of talent available with the disruption of big programs firing good head coaches and experienced staffs. I can see Gilbert speaking with a number of good candidates once the season is over and having the ability to pull the trigger if the right person says yes. Hops salary, or lack of, affords us this opportunity.

Hate to use four-letter words here, but I hope you're right.

#10 2017-11-05 17:15:53 - The rest of the season

Black Diamond Reb (418)

How do you arrive at the 8 mil in the hole figure? And what will Giblet pay this "identified" guru with?

#11 2017-11-05 17:36:15 - The rest of the season

Black Diamond Reb wrote:

How do you arrive at the 8 mil in the hole figure? And what will Giblet pay this "identified" guru with?

We just announced we have to eliminate $8 million from our current operating budget, permanently.

We are on the hook for $1 million with Hop after this season. We sold one game to clear $2.1 for EJ. We are getting $5.4 million from the state of Alabama between 2018-2020 just allocate funds from this to cover Hop and your next coach in addition to what Gilby can drum up from frustrated donors.

Last edited by Nugget's Ghostbuster (2017-11-05 17:37:57)

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#12 2017-11-05 17:56:22 - The rest of the season

beagle (173)

Gilbert needs to get on the phone with Monken ASAP.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 … be-coming/

"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#13 2017-11-05 17:57:31 - The rest of the season

99beers (303)

The rest
Rice is 1-8
Charlotte is 1-8
Marshall is 6-3

How we fuck this up?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

#14 2017-11-05 18:08:13 - The rest of the season

beagle wrote:

Monk is not an option. He will get north of one million per season going to a program like Memphis or UCF once they lose their respective coaches to the P5. He has done his time and proved his worth as a HC at the G5 level. Recruits will trip over themselves to work with a coach that now has two stints in the NFL even if they weren’t playoff teams.

#15 2017-11-05 18:13:16 - The rest of the season

CajunEagle (44)

It makes no difference if we get Nick Sabin and the talent of the New England Patriots,  when your playing a crap home schedule.....nothing is gonna change as far as respect and attendance.

Liked by:

#16 2017-11-05 18:25:49 - The rest of the season

beagle (173)

beagle wrote:

Monk is not an option. He will get north of one million per season going to a program like Memphis or UCF once they lose their respective coaches to the P5. He has done his time and proved his worth as a HC at the G5 level. Recruits will trip over themselves to work with a coach that now has two stints in the NFL even if they weren’t playoff teams.

Memphis will hire Chip Long. UCF could hire him, but that's certainly not a sure thing.

Monken is the only person I can ever remember that united our fanbase. We'd be dumb to not at least try.

"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#17 2017-11-05 18:39:08 - The rest of the season

CajunEagle wrote:

It makes no difference if we get Nick Sabin and the talent of the New England Patriots,  when your playing a crap home schedule.....nothing is gonna change as far as respect and attendance.

I don’t know the actual numbers for this season but guessing we will finish around 20K average attendance this season as far as tickets sold. You get a solid hire with actual marketing behind it you climb to 24K avg in 2018 and 28K avg in 2019 regardless of competition if the product improves and the university invests in it.

You now just added 72000 more sold seats over 12 home games compared to our current avg. At a conservative $20 per seat you just gated an additional $1.4 million.

Very possible to achieve. Makes me think Gilby didn’t market this season in order to pad his results for improvement.

#18 2017-11-05 19:05:52 - The rest of the season

Ace Barker (260)
Website

What do the money people want?  That is where you find the answer.

Ace...

#19 2017-11-05 19:16:01 - The rest of the season

Ace Barker wrote:

What do the money people want?

Ace...

Not this.....

Last edited by Nugget's Ghostbuster (2017-11-05 19:17:05)

#20 2017-11-05 19:21:49 - The rest of the season

Ace Barker (260)
Website

Ace Barker wrote:

What do the money people want?

Ace...

Not this.....

Really?  They helped create this.

Ace...

Board footer