CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-15 17:29:42 - Hopson leaving Memphis in 2011...

AndreWhere (1252)

Hopson leaving Memphis in 2011...

He elected to quit instead of taking a lesser position:

https://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/ … oordinator

It's his decision, and he may have made it quickly and emotionally, but I'm not sure that sits right with me.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#2 2017-11-15 18:21:11 - Hopson leaving Memphis in 2011...

Eaglebird Humperdink (142)

Re: Hopson leaving Memphis in 2011...

AndreWhere wrote:

He elected to quit instead of taking a lesser position:

It's his decision, and he may have made it quickly and emotionally, but I'm not sure that sits right with me.

It would be hard to argue that he made the wrong decision for his career. Six years later, he was passed over for a head coaching job and held two different head coaching positions.

#3 2017-11-16 09:59:54 - Hopson leaving Memphis in 2011...

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Re: Hopson leaving Memphis in 2011...

Porter was 3-21 in his two years as Memphis coach, including 1-14 in Conference USA play. Hops defense was part of the problem but far from the biggest issues with Porters team. He was a horrid leader living off of Les Miles success and that, coupled with his legacy at Memphis, got him the gig he was clearly not qualified for.

I don't blame Hop for declining a lesser position just to stay. If any of us worked for a leader that was a failure and clearly had no clue for their role and responsibilities and it appears they were using you to as an early scapegoat for the larger issues inside the program, I would politely thank them for the opportunity and find the nearest exit on the Titanic. Hop found his spot as the head man in the SWAC and I'm sure his experiences at Memphis taught him what not to do more than anything.......Porter would eventually find his calling as a career position coach and recruiting coordinator.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Board footer