CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-23 09:02:52 - The strangulation of ODU football, with bonus Southern Miss content

AndreWhere (1252)

The strangulation of ODU football, with bonus Southern Miss content

https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/ … 61792.html

"I asked ODU students, via Twitter, why they aren’t going to games and got a dozen or so responses. One from Daniel MacCall, a finance major from Northern Virginia, seemed to hit most of the high points.

He said most ODU students are unfamiliar with C-USA opponents and that home games aren’t as exciting as they used to be."

Tell 'em, Danny Boy.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#2 2017-11-23 11:12:38 - The strangulation of ODU football, with bonus Southern Miss content

stinkfist (764)

Re: The strangulation of ODU football, with bonus Southern Miss content

AndreWhere wrote:

"I asked ODU students, via Twitter, why they aren’t going to games and got a dozen or so responses. One from Daniel MacCall, a finance major from Northern Virginia, seemed to hit most of the high points.

He said most ODU students are unfamiliar with C-USA opponents and that home games aren’t as exciting as they used to be."

Tell 'em, Danny Boy.

that's a dayum good article that defines the challenges all schools face moving forward....

I simply see it as a cost effective move by too many fans being squeezed out by lack of attention to space.....that one hit home TTT.....

it was always about the party before the game, gettin' hammered, then sneaking in the pint(s) for the game....

the game/tailgate atmosphere at the rock was destroyed when the mausoleums were built.....

now everyone is scattered and has to find obscure places to park.....

I'd stay home too if I was an out of towner....toss in the bulk of our students couldn't care less about foosball coupled with the easy access via the 'al gore', and it becomes the perfect storm....

better get used to empty stadiums......nobody really gives a shite anymore....

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

Liked by:

#3 2017-11-23 11:30:09 - The strangulation of ODU football, with bonus Southern Miss content

admin (289)
Administrator

stinkfist wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

Tell 'em, Danny Boy.

that's a dayum good article that defines the challenges all schools face moving forward....

I simply see it as a cost effective move by too many fans being squeezed out by lack of attention to space.....that one hit home TTT.....

it was always about the party before the game, gettin' hammered, then sneaking in the pint(s) for the game....

the game/tailgate atmosphere at the rock was destroyed when the mausoleums were built.....

I'd stay home too if I was an out of towner....toss in the bulk of our students couldn't care less about foosball coupled with the easy access via the 'al gore', and it becomes the perfect storm....

Yeah, the mausoleums fucked shit up, and so has whatever they're doing over where Feel 'Em Arms was. Versus Southern, the stadium was maybe half full, and I still had to parallel park on US49. That's really not safe, and if we ever do draw a capacity crowd again it should be a real fiasco.

Package it all up with the overall downward trend in attendance and we're fucked.

But there were, and are still, things that could have been done. Gilbert's ticket distribution strategy is inferior to McGillis's. Playing on the road more puts the problem on the other school.

Winning helps, but getting people into the stadium gives you a home field advantage. I'm thinking about that UK game that we lost by a single score in front of a bunch of people who got fleeced by Gilbert for $50 tickets (or whatever... he sure was pumped up about it, the fucker).

#4 2017-11-23 11:45:32 - The strangulation of ODU football, with bonus Southern Miss content

stinkfist (764)

admin wrote:
stinkfist wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

Tell 'em, Danny Boy.

Yeah, the mausoleums fucked shit up, and so has whatever they're doing over where Feel 'Em Arms was. Versus Southern, the stadium was maybe half full, and I still had to parallel park on US49. That's really not safe, and if we ever do draw a capacity crowd again it should be a real fiasco.

Package it all up with the overall downward trend in attendance and we're fucked.

But there were, and are still, things that could have been done. Gilbert's ticket distribution strategy is inferior to McGillis's. Playing on the road more puts the problem on the other school.

Winning helps, but getting people into the stadium gives you a home field advantage. I'm thinking about that UK game that we lost by a single score in front of a bunch of people who got fleeced by Gilbert for $50 tickets (or whatever... he sure was pumped up about it, the fucker).

me and lil' bubba had a saying after pumping one OB......"can't get it back" (as I would toss him another ball)

in all earnest, the lack of ability to recognize what's important has gotten old....

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

#5 2017-11-23 18:00:20 - The strangulation of ODU football, with bonus Southern Miss content

USMstang (303)

admin wrote:

I grabbed two extra tickets in the East Club for the Kentucky game (between the 40s) and they were $75 each.  The season ticket for that game for that section was $60.  I've noticed the other games were much less...at least that was what was printed on the ticket itself.  If we didn't have to pay Kentucky to come here, apparently his raising the price for that game is what made it so profitable (according to what he says).  I'm less impressed with him every day.

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

#6 2017-11-23 18:20:07 - The strangulation of ODU football, with bonus Southern Miss content

admin (289)
Administrator

USMstang wrote:
admin wrote:

I grabbed two extra tickets in the East Club for the Kentucky game (between the 40s) and they were $75 each.  The season ticket for that game for that section was $60.  I've noticed the other games were much less...at least that was what was printed on the ticket itself.  If we didn't have to pay Kentucky to come here, apparently his raising the price for that game is what made it so profitable (according to what he says).  I'm less impressed with him every day.

A story involving a goose and some golden eggs comes to mind.

Board footer