CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-10 16:46:08 - The biggest jerk on the planet: Slate.com's "D" Watkins

AndreWhere (1252)

The biggest jerk on the planet: Slate.com's "D" Watkins

I'm basically immune to media stupidity at this point, but this story took me aback:

https://www.salon.com/2017/12/09/how-mu … al-anthem/

Some highlights:

"D" is invited to a dinner party with a bunch of East Coast hipsters, who are "200% liberal," but he refuses to eat the food prepared for him ("vegan chili"). And it's not because, well, it's vegan chili, but because "he doesn't eat homemade meals." Atrocious etiquette aside, isn't that elitist?

"D" orders delivery of pho (a Vietnamese soup) instead. Isn't that cultural appropriation? How would "D" react if I showed up at his dinner, thumbed my nose at his food, and conspicuously gobbled up KFC instead?

"D" admits he'd never really known anyone from a racial group other than his own until recently, and yet he somehow feels qualified to pontificate about race relations on a national stage.

The entire dinner conversation focuses on racial stereotypes. An example: "I explained to them that black people don’t really know what casserole is."

Really? There are millions of black people who've eaten casserole. Hell, I ate green bean casserole prepared by immigrants from Africa (there are a lot of them where I live) this Thanksgiving. We didn't talk about that, because we're not leftist weirdos. We gathered as Christians and Americans.

Then we get to the crux of his argument: Americans who object to disrespecting the Star Spangled Banner are hypocrites because they're not really into the song as a piece of music.

We don't hum it in the shower or whatever... as if that we're relevant to discussions of treason. "Hey, this guy sold out our country... but it's OK because the national anthem is hard to sing!"

I sympathize somewhat with the argument that the cops in this country are out of control and need to be reigned in. Articles like this one do not help that cause, though. They make me wish a cop would go to wherever "D" lives and smash his door in.

Asshole.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#2 2017-12-10 19:28:13 - The biggest jerk on the planet: Slate.com's "D" Watkins

USMstang (303)

Re: The biggest jerk on the planet: Slate.com's "D" Watkins

Those people should venture outside of their comfort zone more often and stop being so ignorant...all the while, thinking everyone else is ignorant.  They should also study up on topics such as respect, racism, a map of the entire country, the lack of importance of the NFL or any other professional sport, etc.  I don't let these whackos bug me...I'm locked and loaded.  As you read this and all the time.  wink

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

#3 2017-12-10 21:47:53 - The biggest jerk on the planet: Slate.com's "D" Watkins

AndreWhere (1252)

Re: The biggest jerk on the planet: Slate.com's "D" Watkins

USMstang wrote:

Those people should venture outside of their comfort zone more often and stop being so ignorant

Exactly. This person basically admits that his experience of America includes only 1) the poor inner city and 2) guilt-ridden East Coast liberals. That's an extremely limited and distorted subsection of this country. It sounds very depressing, honestly.

So I feel sorry for him, but I also think it's very irresponsible of him to try to be a nationally important journalist given his (you said it...) ignorance. Reading his shit is kind of like reading automotive journalism written by a guy who's never owned a car other than a 1989 Hyundai.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

Board footer