CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

Poll: Should we have a politics board?
Yes

100% (11)
No, people should post politics on the USM board

0% (0)
Voters: 13

#1 2017-12-11 17:55:43 - Politics board or politics here?

admin (289)
Administrator

Politics board or politics here?

I set up the politics board because it's better for the site to have two active boards. That said, I've received some negative feedback about that, so I'll put it up for a vote.

#2 2017-12-11 17:56:38 - Politics board or politics here?

admin (289)
Administrator

Re: Politics board or politics here?

I'll abstain from voting on this one.

#3 2017-12-11 18:22:11 - Politics board or politics here?

southern miss slacker (304)

This is dumb. I'm still going to post what I want, where I want, anytime I want. And you can't stop me. You are not the boss of me. And if people don't like it then they can simply not read my shit.

#4 2017-12-11 18:24:46 - Politics board or politics here?

admin (289)
Administrator

southern miss slacker wrote:

This is dumb. I'm still going to post what I want, where I want, anytime I want. And you can't stop me. You are not the boss of me. And if people don't like it then they can simply not read my shit.

I'll leave your stuff here if you feel that strongly about it. Please try to understand why I'd like to have two active boards. Should get the site more of a Google presence, which in turn gets more people reading and writing stuff here. Having to navigate a little bit more was a worthwhile tradeoff, I thought.

#5 2017-12-11 19:02:14 - Politics board or politics here?

tg300 (439)

admin wrote:

I'll leave your stuff here if you feel that strongly about it. Please try to understand why I'd like to have two active boards. Should get the site more of a Google presence, which in turn gets more people reading and writing stuff here. Having to navigate a little bit more was a worthwhile tradeoff, I thought.

Haven't been there yet but will try it.

I actually like 2 v 1 because the mindset changes from one to the other.

However, if EB shows up and posts endless fake shit from CNN, MSNBC, and the networks, it will be a bigger ghost town than The Perch.

#6 2017-12-11 19:12:11 - Politics board or politics here?

admin (289)
Administrator

tg300 wrote:

However, if EB shows up and posts endless fake shit from CNN, MSNBC, and the networks, it will be a bigger ghost town than The Perch.

It was pretty obnoxious how he'd post dozens of threads in a row over there. Wasn't much analysis there, either, just "here's what was on CNN / Slate.com / whatever today and how it can be spun to impugn Donald Trump."

I don't mind if you're left wing or right wing, just put some damned thought into it or keep quiet.

In any case, I don't think he's going to show up here. If he does, though, better to keep that shit on another board than have it here on the USM board.

#7 2017-12-11 19:37:31 - Politics board or politics here?

USMstang (303)

you will ruin the board if they are not separate in these times of so much fake bullshit from the establishment.  I come here for an escape and will go there occasionally just for the fuck of it.

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

#8 2017-12-11 19:47:21 - Politics board or politics here?

admin (289)
Administrator

USMstang wrote:

you will ruin the board if they are not separate in these times of so much fake bullshit from the establishment.  I come here for an escape and will go there occasionally just for the fuck of it.

Agree 100% that sports should be an escape from politics and also from economics. If it's not, then there's no point to it. People lost sight of that about 20 years ago. ESPN has not helped.

The NFL realized the escape-from-economics thing decades ago and took steps to level the playing field for teams like the Packers and the Saints. It's a big part of that league's success (e.g. compared to MLB).

They've been less successful keeping politics out, at least lately.

That said, there is the question asked here (do we want a politics board?), and then there's another question worth asking: should new threads be forcibly removed to the politics board?

Upon reflection, doing that is probably the sort of heavy-handed bullshit I've promised to avoid. So I won't be moving threads unless things get really bad.

#9 2017-12-11 19:53:20 - Politics board or politics here?

Black Diamond Reb (418)

I suggest a poll on more polls.

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#10 2017-12-11 20:01:38 - Politics board or politics here?

stinkfist (764)

Black Diamond Reb wrote:

I'm easily confused....this???

barber-pole-vector-1.jpeg

or....

stripper-pole-dancing-dancer-nude-naked-t-shirts-men-s-t-shirt.jpg

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

#11 2017-12-11 20:03:21 - Politics board or politics here?

admin (289)
Administrator

Black Diamond Reb wrote:

I know you don't like polls, and I try to keep quality posters warm and comfortable. There are times I need an answer on something, though.

Liked by:

#12 2017-12-11 20:04:43 - Politics board or politics here?

stinkfist (764)

admin wrote:
USMstang wrote:

Agree 100% that sports should be an escape from politics and also from economics. If it's not, then there's no point to it. People lost sight of that about 20 years ago. ESPN has not helped.

The NFL realized the escape-from-economics thing decades ago and took steps to level the playing field for teams like the Packers and the Saints. It's a big part of that league's success (e.g. compared to MLB).

That said, there is the question asked here (do we want a politics board?), and then there's another question worth asking: should new threads be forcibly removed to the politics board?

Upon reflection, doing that is probably the sort of heavy-handed bullshit I've promised to avoid. So I won't be moving threads unless things get really bad.

which is why I suggested a hover option.........hell, maybe a static link on the main page might be a better option in lieu of a separate page under "index"???

#foodforthought

#13 2017-12-11 20:18:55 - Politics board or politics here?

AndreWhere (1252)

stinkfist wrote:

which is why I suggested a hover option.........hell, maybe a static link on the main page might be a better option in lieu of a separate page under "index"???

#foodforthought

Unfortunately the powers-that-be have decided that that sort of thing isn't kosher. Supposedly it's not user-friendly for people on certain devices, for deaf people using screen readers, and for God only knows who else.

I understand what you're getting at, though, and will try to make targeted changes to address the issue.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#14 2017-12-11 20:22:56 - Politics board or politics here?

stinkfist (764)

AndreWhere wrote:
stinkfist wrote:

#foodforthought

Unfortunately the powers-that-be have decided that that sort of thing isn't kosher. Supposedly it's not user-friendly for people on certain devices, for deaf people using screen readers, and for God only knows who else.

I understand what you're getting at, though, and will try to make targeted changes to address the issue.

no sweat......I told you I would simply offer suggestions......I completely understand how 'those powers' thwart.....

you done good bubby......

Last edited by stinkfist (2017-12-11 20:23:21)

Liked by:

#15 2017-12-11 21:04:07 - Politics board or politics here?

Eaglebird Humperdink (142)

USMstang wrote:

Posting and reading political posts are a complete waste of time. Has anyone ever been swayed or considered a political position because some guy on a message board is tossing out obscenities or name-calling? There is nothing to be gained except looking like a dumbass.

#16 2017-12-11 21:09:04 - Politics board or politics here?

AndreWhere (1252)

Eaglebird Humperdink wrote:

Has anyone ever been swayed or considered a political position?

Nope. Everyone's mind is made up anyway. That's why I'm a monarchist. Give someone the keys to the castle and depend on him to take care of it. Most people will take care of shit if they know their kid is going to inherit it.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#17 2017-12-11 22:21:24 - Politics board or politics here?

Ford Prefect (72)

first of all, he can totally stop you.  although he apparently chooses not to. 

but it's deeply reassuring that you're being so completely reasonable about this one minor little alteration to a website.  heavens knows that we wouldn't want you to be setting yourself on fire over a serious disruption in your actual life.

I just hope all the children are paying attention to this free lesson in life tonight.  it's inspiring.

Last edited by Ford Prefect (2017-12-11 22:28:12)

#18 2017-12-11 22:30:42 - Politics board or politics here?

Ford Prefect (72)

stinkfist wrote:
Black Diamond Reb wrote:

I'm easily confused....this???

barber-pole-vector-1.jpeg

or....

stripper-pole-dancing-dancer-nude-naked-t-shirts-men-s-t-shirt.jpg

Poland%2Bgirls%2B2.JPG

#19 2017-12-11 23:29:02 - Politics board or politics here?

Ford Prefect (72)

admin wrote:
USMstang wrote:

"Forcibly removed"?  good god, that sounds like one of al franken's photo sessions.  it starts with roofies, and ends with forcibly removing shit.

anyway, look, there's nothing heavy handed about moving a political thread to a political forum.  if your forum grows enough, the political shit will completely pollute the sports stuff, and piss off everyone that didn't just have a temper tantrum about the politics board (which is basically everyone else).

can't keep everyone happy.

Last edited by Ford Prefect (2017-12-11 23:30:45)

Liked by:

#20 2017-12-11 23:38:43 - Politics board or politics here?

EagleFWB (176)

It needs to be a separate board. I don't really give a shit about reading everybody else's politics... I want to talk USM.

When I want to prove all of the democrats wrong, I'll go to the proper forum.

Board footer