CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-24 19:53:22 - Favorite range toy?

AndreWhere (1252)

Favorite range toy?

Haven't shot everything out there, but I've played with just about every category of firearm except maybe a bullpup, and I'm partial to carbines.

First one I ever got my hands on was an M1 Carbine. It shoots its own round, .30 Carbine, which looks more like a pistol cartridge than a rifle round, with its untapered case and round bullet. The M1 Carbine was a lighter rifle designed to supplement the (completely unrelated) M1 Garand during WWII. It really is a joy to shoot, historic, and nice-looking.

Next one I got to shoot was an AR-15. It's an easy shooter, with even less kick than the M1 Carbine. It almost feels like the rifle has a shock absorber in it or something.

My favorite is the AK-47, though. It kicks a bit, definitely more than the AR-15 and probably more than the M1 Carbine, too. But it puts out a pretty big, amusing fireball, and watching for the fireball is a good way to make sure you're not flinching. Also, assuming you're using the standard slant-cut muzzle device, the push is straight back, like a 1911.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#2 2017-12-24 23:21:01 - Favorite range toy?

USMstang (303)

Re: Favorite range toy?

The Carbine is a great little gun, I just wish the cartridge had more ass.  Hornady makes a 90 gr hollow point round for hunting with this little booger. 

The Armalite Rifle (AR) design doesn't have a shock absorber but it has a fairly hefty buffer spring that you are feeling.  I can assure you that the 5.56 is much more potent than the .30 Carbine straight-walled cartridge so the spring is working as designed.  Compared with the crude but highly functional design of the AK variants, the AR platform is fairly elegant in operation for a high-powered rifle.

Ahhh, the M1 Garand...what a freakin dream gun.  Everyone should own one just in case the idiots of the world forget it's lethality on the battleground.  While the .30-06 is incredibly formidable, I would be fine with one chambered in .308.  As a matter of fact, the M1A variants that Springfield is producing these days are beautiful albeit highly lethal weapons.  The John Garand design is second to none!

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

Board footer