CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-31 12:05:16 - Mark Emmert Interview

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Mark Emmert Interview

As part of the Elite 8 coverage today CBS interviewed Mark Emmert, head of the NCAA and discussed paying these athletes in college. It was asked what is wrong with someone like Zion also doing a pizza commercial and capitalizing on his success.

The argument is that the NCAA is making billions so why not share it?

I view that argument like employees at Amazon saying they deserve full time daycare programs for their kids because Amazon makes billions in profits and they deserve more.

Here is the answer as simple as it can be......if you don’t like it, don’t play for the NCAA. Go to Europe out of high school and get a paycheck until the NBA allows you to play. If you don’t think the room and board and and scholly is not enough exercise your right to not play in college. The argument that the NCAA is so rich because players like Zion make them millions and it needs to be shared is easily countered by the kid at South Alabama riding the bench that never sees the floor but still gets a full ride and once he earns his degree his career earning potential is higher because he got his degree and has zero student loans.....

Can we not keep college and professional separate? You have Charles Barkley saying the NCAA is cheating these kids. Really? They didn’t know they were just getting a free ride and no profit sharing when they accepted their scholarship?

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#2 2019-03-31 20:22:32 - Mark Emmert Interview

AndreWhere (1252)

Re: Mark Emmert Interview

Yeah, the argument that the NCAA or the schools are exploiting student-athletes irks me. Everyone has to pay their dues. I get paid good money now to do crap that's basically similar to the things I had to do to pass my college classes. Was I being exploited back then? No; I had no track record. No one was going to hire me as anything better than a grocery bagger.

I do object to one thing, though: the way the top few college football and basketball teams have become self-contained, self-perpetuating TV properties. The answer isn't to just give that money to a bunch of 20-year-old kids, though. The answer is for more of that money to go back into the universities' general funds.

Don't build mahogany-paneled locker rooms in some weird, uncouth effort to woo 18-year-old recruits. Take that money and give scholarships to the kids from bad neighborhoods who can't or won't dunk a basketball. Duh.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#3 2019-03-31 20:24:13 - Mark Emmert Interview

AndreWhere (1252)

And one more thing: I have earned vastly more money practicing the craft I learned at USM than most D-I football players ever earn playing professional football. It's not even close. Don't underestimate the value of what's taught in college classes.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#4 2019-04-01 10:03:00 - Mark Emmert Interview

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Coaches like to say.....Its not fair that a kid can't go and take a girlfriend out for a pizza while on athletic scholarship. Did you know they can work as long as its monitored and approved by the compliance office. They can also hold part time jobs during off season semesters. How much does a friggin pizza cost where they go to college.....good grief

Its just another case of wanting what someone else has due to self entitlement. I like the idea of the NCAA creating a retirement fund for these kids.....treat it like an IRA where at the end of their athletic commitment they would have earned X amount and it can earn interest for them until they reach retirement age. I promise you if they did that everyone would then be complaining that they can't access the money now and its not fair to dictate how they receive the funds, etc...... I swear people just want to complain about anything positive because it doesn't fit their agenda of access to cash immediately.....

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Board footer