CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-09 12:27:33 - FCS football championship

admin (289)
Administrator

FCS football championship

The game looks as legitimate as anything in CUSA.

NDSU has a little 19,000 seat dome and it's sold out and loud.

Can't say the players look any smaller, slower, or less athletic than their counterparts at the bottom of FBS.

The fans look significantly more involved and excited than fans at most CUSA games.

NDSU runs an interesting offense, and they use a real snap count, not the "clap ya hands" thing.

I looked up their revenue and it's essentially the same as ours.

What if they got a big head and went FBS? It wouldn't work. I doubt the MAC would have them; they're 3 states away from the closest MAC school. They'd end up cobbling a coast-to-coast schedule together like NMSU has to. Their fans wouldn't know about most of their opponents.

All of this is to say, most schools at that revenue level would be better served by staying FCS if they have a decent FCS history. CUSA's own Old Dominion is the example that pops to mind.

Another implication is that the dreaded "Mid Major national championship" tournament would probably generate more excitement than the G5 bowl season does. I've never been a proponent of that (preferring to call for other changes to the status quo), but it's hard to ignore the obvious when it's right in your face.

#2 2017-12-09 12:45:33 - FCS football championship

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Re: FCS football championship

NDSU should stick with what works and stay where they are. All they do is beat teams a level up from them once a year and win consistently at their level. Nothing to prove by going MAC. Now Kennesaw State.....they will be going to the next level soon. Vince Dooley really got them going in the right direction when they started up their football program. Should be worth watching tonight against Sam Houston St.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#3 2017-12-09 12:47:45 - FCS football championship

AndreWhere (1252)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

NDSU should stick with what works and stay where they are. All they do is beat teams a level up from them once a year and win consistently at their level. Nothing to prove by going MAC. Now Kennesaw State.....they will be going to the next level soon. Vince Dooley really got them going in the right direction when they started up their football program. Should be worth watching tonight against Sam Houston St.

Had a Kennesaw State alum brag to me about how they're on the verge having the state's largest enrollment. I was like, "dude, be careful whose toes you step on with that."

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#4 2017-12-09 14:24:48 - FCS football championship

TheChosenOne (295)

Watching future competition??  Basketball already there

#5 2017-12-09 14:45:17 - FCS football championship

admin (289)
Administrator

TheChosenOne wrote:

Watching future competition??  Basketball already there

Well, basketball has always had a true (i.e. inclusive) Division I and it's a lot more fun for the casual fan. Compare March Madness to bowl season, for example. It's not just a chance for some less prominent school like FGCU to make waves; the distribution of tournament revenue helps level the playing field among a wide spectrum of D-I schools.

The P5 would fight any move in that direction, but it would only make the sport as a whole healthier, but one can make a case that it'd be good for them in the long run. College football is still only a fraction of the size of the NFL, in terms of things like TV ratings, and now is as good a time as there's ever been to try and close that gap. Letting the same 8 or 10 schools dominate the postseason every year won't accomplish that, though.

Board footer