CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-11 20:18:12 - Silencers/Suppressors and the NFA

USMstang (303)

Silencers/Suppressors and the NFA

The National Firearms Act was created in 1935 in response to mafia characters with machine guns.  However, the elite in DC decided to classify silencers and short-barreled rifles as well.  They created a "tax stamp" process with a $200 fee which in today's dollars was equivalent to about $3500 back then.  They effectively denied the public the opportunity to own a muffler for their gun.

Fast forward to nowadays, $200 only affects the working class guy (and his family).  I guess his hearing is not important to the elite.   Luckily, silencer sales have exploded over the last few years and the average guy can afford hearing protection.  If you've not shot all day without cumbersome/uncomfortable muffs/ear plugs by using a silencer, you are missing out!  I love to blast my .45 all day and carry on a normal conversation with my friends.

And no, it doesn't sound like the movies...

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

#2 2017-12-11 20:54:57 - Silencers/Suppressors and the NFA

AndreWhere (1252)

Re: Silencers/Suppressors and the NFA

It always struck me as odd that the government would object to making something quieter. Isn't making machines quieter the most basic form of environmental regulation?

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#3 2017-12-11 20:59:30 - Silencers/Suppressors and the NFA

USMstang (303)

Re: Silencers/Suppressors and the NFA

The UK has terrible gun control but don't try to hunt over there without a can.  They don't like noise pollution!  But yes, our government is full of idiots at the lawmaking positions....very far removed from our lives.

Last edited by USMstang (2017-12-11 21:00:07)

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

Board footer