CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-28 15:52:06 - Couldn't compete with Dumpster fire Tennessee, what did ya'll expect..

TheHeadEagle (27)

Couldn't compete with Dumpster fire Tennessee, what did ya'll expect..

against FSU??   Sure, I'd have preferred to be more competitive but in the end, we all knew what the outcome would be....deep inside you knew.

#2 2017-12-28 16:36:27 - Couldn't compete with Dumpster fire Tennessee, what did ya'll expect..

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Re: Couldn't compete with Dumpster fire Tennessee, what did ya'll expect..

TheHeadEagle wrote:

deep inside you knew.

tenor.gif?itemid=4634212

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#3 2017-12-28 17:04:54 - Couldn't compete with Dumpster fire Tennessee, what did ya'll expect..

AndreWhere (1252)

The result was about what I expected. That's why I didn't post a prediction for this game. Didn't want to be a turd in the Independence punch bowl at a time when we had every reason to be happy.

The way it unfolded was a bit disappointing. Ito had a pretty good game and it was basically just pissed away. The defense put them in a lot of third downs but, again, USM just did not capitalize on it.

The huge field position advantage they got in the 2nd half was particularly distressing. It's probably a miracle they didn't get to 50 or even 60 after that crap.

I saw the talent advantage, but I also saw a gap in coaching quality, which is alarming given where USM's staff is supposed to be at in its overall trajectory vs. where their staff is.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#4 2017-12-28 18:01:24 - Couldn't compete with Dumpster fire Tennessee, what did ya'll expect..

Eaglebird Humperdink (142)

AndreWhere wrote:

a gap in coaching quality, which is alarming given where USM's staff is supposed to be at in its overall trajectory vs. where their staff is.

I don't know why you would think that.

#5 2017-12-28 18:10:46 - Couldn't compete with Dumpster fire Tennessee, what did ya'll expect..

AndreWhere (1252)

Eaglebird Humperdink wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

a gap in coaching quality, which is alarming given where USM's staff is supposed to be at in its overall trajectory vs. where their staff is.

I don't know why you would think that.

Hopson's an incumbent wrapping up his second year, and there's no real indication he'll be on the hot seat any time in the foreseeable future. He should have had an advantage over a cobbled-together interim / lame duck staff.

Yeah, they make less than the other guys. So what? When USM has succeeded, it's been because of the efforts of up-and-coming coaches who everybody knew would cash in later on. That isn't Hopson.

Last edited by AndreWhere (2017-12-28 18:10:56)

#6 2017-12-28 18:17:23 - Couldn't compete with Dumpster fire Tennessee, what did ya'll expect..

Black Diamond Reb (418)

AndreWhere wrote:

Hopson's an incumbent wrapping up his second year.

He said post game that 8 wins was a "Great Season".

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#7 2017-12-28 18:19:18 - Couldn't compete with Dumpster fire Tennessee, what did ya'll expect..

AndreWhere (1252)

Black Diamond Reb wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

Hopson's an incumbent wrapping up his second year.

He said post game that 8 wins was a "Great Season".

Yeah, he has a tendency to say shit like that, and so do his players. Wish Mark Mangino could smash through the wall like the Kool-Aid guy when he does that, and tell them all what's really up.

#8 2017-12-28 18:20:32 - Couldn't compete with Dumpster fire Tennessee, what did ya'll expect..

TheChosenOne (295)

2012-2013 Southern Miss would have given it’s right and left nut for eight wins.  Now we bitch about it

#9 2017-12-28 18:25:34 - Couldn't compete with Dumpster fire Tennessee, what did ya'll expect..

AndreWhere (1252)

TheChosenOne wrote:

2012-2013 Southern Miss would have given it’s right and left nut for eight wins.  Now we bitch about it

I'll admit this: it was an entertaining, manic/depressive season. Many long walks and deep breaths were taken.

That said, I was more concerned about missing out on the evacuation back in 2012 / 2013. Go back and read the cave paintings at the gulag if you care to. What happened on the field was, and is, a distraction from what was, and is, really going on.

Liked by:

#10 2017-12-28 18:27:25 - Couldn't compete with Dumpster fire Tennessee, what did ya'll expect..

AndreWhere (1252)

TheChosenOne wrote:

And do I really bitch about it? All I complained about was the characterization "great."

#11 2017-12-28 18:28:18 - Couldn't compete with Dumpster fire Tennessee, what did ya'll expect..

TheChosenOne (295)

So what is really going on???

#12 2017-12-28 18:35:06 - Couldn't compete with Dumpster fire Tennessee, what did ya'll expect..

AndreWhere (1252)

TheChosenOne wrote:

So what is really going on???

You ever use a ratchet? We, meaning the USM fan base, are being ratcheted down from a time when we got to watch some pretty decent football and basketball.

The thing about a ratchet is, once it rotates a bolt a little bit in one direction, it can't rotate it back in the other direction.

CUSA losing Louisville was a click of the ratchet, perhaps the first. Giannini lied and said it would make the conference stronger.

Losing the stadium expansion referendum was another click. Giannini put together a lesser expansion with smoke and mirrors.

Over the 15 or 20 years of ratcheting, there has been plenty of on-the-field success: conference championships in 2003 and 2011, a trip to Omaha, a trip to March Madness and a few NIT bids, etc.

But "what's really happening" is that the bolt that USM should be tightening is no longer being tightened by all of that muscle power USM's applying on the field of play.

The team can go 12-2 or they can go 0-12... the bolt only rotates in one direction anymore, regardless. Until that changes (8-5 won't do it), I'm not going to get pumped up about how hard we're pushing on the damned wrench.

Last edited by AndreWhere (2017-12-28 18:38:12)

Liked by:

#13 2017-12-28 18:44:47 - Couldn't compete with Dumpster fire Tennessee, what did ya'll expect..

TheChosenOne (295)

National Championship or the season is considered a disaster?  That has to be one of the most fucked-up expectation I’ve heard, at least for Southern Miss. Saying that, based on many fan comments that does appear to be the expectation.

#14 2017-12-28 18:50:24 - Couldn't compete with Dumpster fire Tennessee, what did ya'll expect..

AndreWhere (1252)

TheChosenOne wrote:

National Championship or the season is considered a disaster?  That has to be one of the most fucked-up expectation I’ve heard, at least for Southern Miss. Saying that, based on many fan comments that does appear to be the expectation.

So how do you feel about 8-5? Was it really a great season?

Expectations can get ridiculous in our little corner of the world. LSU fans in particular are fun to laugh at the minute things go even slightly off course.

2017 wasn't bad enough for me to tune out or go full-on BDR-style cynic. I went to a couple of games and I went to the bowl game. That drive from Shreveport straight back to Atlanta so I could make it to work the next morning was no pleasure cruise.

I'm still fighting the good fight, Chosen One.

All is not well in Mudville, though. The team needs to be in better shape. The team needs to be able to line up on the right side of the line of scrimmage at least 85% of the time.

Last edited by AndreWhere (2017-12-28 18:51:34)

#15 2017-12-28 18:53:37 - Couldn't compete with Dumpster fire Tennessee, what did ya'll expect..

Black Diamond Reb (418)

TheChosenOne wrote:

Now we celebrate 6 SUNWACUSA wins.

Raise and Extension

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#16 2017-12-28 19:08:21 - Couldn't compete with Dumpster fire Tennessee, what did ya'll expect..

8-5 in year two is good....not great. It’s on par with Fedora and Bower but because so many hate Hop(and Bower) it’s worse just because....

Bower lost to a horrible Va Tech and Northern Illinois in year 2
Fedora lost to UAB and a Sun Belt team in year 2

Year 3 for Bower was an epic failure and Fed laid one of the biggest eggs on ESPN to start year 3 by a score almost identical to yesterday’s beating....

Hop deserves the latitude from this fan base to complete year 3 before we condemn him as so many have....good lawd.....

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#17 2017-12-28 19:18:03 - Couldn't compete with Dumpster fire Tennessee, what did ya'll expect..

AndreWhere (1252)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

it’s worse just because....

There have been positives under Hop, but I don't agree with that.

Bower, and the program he ran, got better for about 10 years. It was not "steady" as I originally posted, but over his first 10 years the improvement was real.

Fedora picked up from there and, early setbacks aside, continued to elevate the program.

I just don't see that from Hopson. What's the ultimate goal? What's the ultimate trajectory?

Again, I'm still supporting the program, even when it's inconvenient and expensive. This is not about that.

Last edited by AndreWhere (2017-12-28 19:26:52)

#18 2017-12-28 19:28:58 - Couldn't compete with Dumpster fire Tennessee, what did ya'll expect..

The entire Eagle Nation was ready to fire Fedora after game 1 in year 3. Everyone had him labeled as a failure, possibly more than Hop, after  41-13 loss to an unranked USC on national tv for the college season opener. That was following two 7-6 seasons and a loss to the Sun Belt in the New Orleans Bowl. Fedora put it all together, somewhat, in year 4....

At the very least, Hop deserves next season before he is labeled. Gut feelings or saying it’s just different or I don’t see it doesn’t apply.....because you certainly didn’t see it year 3, game 1 from Fedora on national tv....

Liked by:

#19 2017-12-28 19:37:57 - Couldn't compete with Dumpster fire Tennessee, what did ya'll expect..

AndreWhere (1252)

The entire Eagle Nation was ready to fire Fedora after game 1 in year 3.

I know, good point. That's when I joined CSNBBS, and it was to bitch about Fedora.

At the very least, Hop deserves next season before he is labeled.

Deserved or not, he'll get it. Stay tuned... I'm hoping for the best and expecting less than the best. It's really all you can sanely do at this point.

#20 2017-12-28 19:43:33 - Couldn't compete with Dumpster fire Tennessee, what did ya'll expect..

AndreWhere wrote:

The entire Eagle Nation was ready to fire Fedora after game 1 in year 3.

I know, good point. That's when I joined CSNBBS, and it was to bitch about Fedora.

At the very least, Hop deserves next season before he is labeled.

Deserved or not, he'll get it. Stay tuned... I'm hoping for the best and expecting less than the best. It's really all you can sanely do at this point.

Hop could get to 11 wins next season and it still won’t be enough for some........

Liked by:

Board footer