CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#21 2017-12-28 23:28:41 - Ole Miss/State mindset

USMstang (303)

Re: Ole Miss/State mindset

F$U woulda kicked their asses yesterday too whether they will admit it or not.  Maybe not as bad but either of the welfare babies up North would have lost.

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

Liked by:

#22 2017-12-29 09:07:10 - Ole Miss/State mindset

99beers (303)

I'm not so sure about that.  OP and MooU have far exceeded us when it comes to talent on the field.  They have both improved to middle of the pack SEC teams.   I think either would have punked FSU, who was very poorly coached.  FSU has lost it's luster after moving to the ACC.  They should have dominated that conference, and never have.  They were brought down to the level that existed before they got there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

#23 2017-12-29 09:12:32 - Ole Miss/State mindset

Eaglebird Humperdink (142)

99beers wrote:

I'm not so sure about that.  OP and MooU have far exceeded us when it comes to talent on the field.  They have both improved to middle of the pack SEC teams.   I think either would have punked FSU, who was very poorly coached.  FSU has lost it's luster after moving to the ACC.  They should have dominated that conference, and never have.  They were brought down to the level that existed before they got there.

State would have killed FSU. But I think Ole Miss / FSU might have been a dead heat.

#24 2017-12-29 09:19:56 - Ole Miss/State mindset

AndreWhere (1252)

I think FSU was really good by the end of the year. The beginning of their season was disrupted by an injury to their QB and by multiple hurricanes. At the end of the year, they were rolling.

I don't think FSU would have any trouble with Ole Miss. The Rebears beat USA, UT-Martin, Vandy, Kentucky, ULL, and, in their crazy little Super Bowl, a MS State team that lost their QB. That's not exactly a murderer's row.

State-vs.-FSU would be a pretty good game. Not sure about that one.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#25 2017-12-29 10:01:34 - Ole Miss/State mindset

skyvoyager (177)

99beers wrote:

FSU has lost it's luster after moving to the ACC.  They should have dominated that conference, and never have.  They were brought down to the level that existed before they got there.

FSU won the ACC 12 of the first 14 years they were in the conference.  15 championships in the 26 years in the conference
plus 2 national championships.... we would love to be 'brought down to that level'

Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

#26 2017-12-29 11:33:14 - Ole Miss/State mindset

tg300 (439)

MSU with Fitz makes it a game.

MSU w/o Fitz is a blowout.

OP loses to FSU by 20.

#27 2017-12-29 12:51:14 - Ole Miss/State mindset

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Loserville beat FSU by 3. I’ll spot the dawgs 14 for Fitz....

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#28 2018-01-01 14:15:58 - Ole Miss/State mindset

beagle (173)

"Ole Miss and State should break free from the IHL."

"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#29 2018-01-01 14:22:21 - Ole Miss/State mindset

AndreWhere (1252)

beagle wrote:

Somebody said that? LMAO. Whoever said that doesn't understand how this shit works, at all.

#30 2018-01-01 14:52:13 - Ole Miss/State mindset

beagle (173)

AndreWhere wrote:
beagle wrote:

Somebody said that? LMAO. Whoever said that doesn't understand how this shit works, at all.

The IHL shitcanned Ole Miss' president in 2015 (can't remember the reason why). A lot of the Fondren neoliberals thought that USM and the other schools had too much power. MSU fans jumped in on this too, because while they hate OM, both schools are the in the cool kids' club and will defend their rival's honor against schools such as USM.

Basically, they want more power for Ole Miss and State and less power for USM, MUW, DSU, and the SWACs.

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#31 2018-01-01 18:02:57 - Ole Miss/State mindset

beagle (173)

“Rick Cleveland is a USM homer.”

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#32 2018-01-01 18:08:01 - Ole Miss/State mindset

beagle (173)

https://mobile.twitter.com/jperry_pearl … h.33728%2F

I like the guy that said blamed USM’s struggles on “the curse of Jeff Bower.”

If Bower was so awesome, why didn’t you guys hire him? Or any other school, for that matter?

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#33 2018-01-02 01:46:56 - Ole Miss/State mindset

beagle (173)

I like how a lot of them think USM football is an extremely difficult job, a la ULM, EMU, or New Mexico State. Yeah, we’re not close to where we used to be, but we’ve still had 21 winning seasons in 24 years. It’s a pretty good gig.

There was some thread on EliteDawgs (extremist State board) and a poster said that “everyone fails at USM.” How many coaches have we had finished their time in Hattiesburg with a losing record? I bet it’s not many.

Last edited by beagle (2018-01-02 01:48:18)

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#34 2018-01-02 20:11:05 - Ole Miss/State mindset

USMstang (303)

With exception of EJ, all the other coaches left or were fired with winning records!  The only thing some of them failed at was living up to our expectations.  Moo historically has no expectations so I'm not sure why this youngster is weighing in on a topic he knows zero about.

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

#35 2018-01-02 21:15:01 - Ole Miss/State mindset

beagle (173)

USMstang wrote:

With exception of EJ, all the other coaches left or were fired with winning records!  The only thing some of them failed at was living up to our expectations.  Moo historically has no expectations so I'm not sure why this youngster is weighing in on a topic he knows zero about.

Monken too, but that was because he had to clean up EJ's mess. If he had been the coach after Fedora, he would have left with a winning record as well.

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#36 2018-01-02 21:29:03 - Ole Miss/State mindset

99beers (303)

Lol, fedora left the mess fool.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

#37 2018-01-04 11:46:38 - Ole Miss/State mindset

beagle (173)

My all-time favorite North Mississippi sports take.

“USM didn’t get in the AAC because they have no fans.”

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#38 2018-01-04 11:48:49 - Ole Miss/State mindset

beagle (173)

There was a thread on a State board following the UK game discussing our dismal attendance for that contest. One of the Bulldog faithful remarked that it was shocking “given the size of a metro area like Hattiesburg.”

Yes, Hattiesburg, the booming metropolis of like 90,000 people when you also count OG and Petal.

Last edited by beagle (2018-01-05 01:07:49)

- PW Underwood (RIP)

#39 2018-01-05 01:38:10 - Ole Miss/State mindset

eaglenjxn (11)

Having spent two years in Oxford, I feel somewhat qualified to speak on the mindset of Ole Miss fans. 
First thing you have to remember about Ole Miss fans in North Mississippi is that West of Tupelo, it is a pretty isolated fanbase. It's not a high population area, and there aren't a lot of people traveling through. Most in the area are connected in some way to the university. So, it is pretty much nothing but Ole Miss fans with the occasional spillover State fan.  I assume State fans to the East of Tupelo are probably the same.  In the Memphis suburbs, there are more State fans and some Memphis basketball fans (who are inexplicably also Tennessee football fans)....but still, by far majority Ole Miss. Hattiesburg is not a close city--probably four hours (?) from Oxford.  Ole Miss and State fans in North Mississippi act like there aren't USM fans because they rarely see them. I could probably count the number of times I saw a USM logo on a car or person in North Mississippi on one hand.

I rarely got a reaction when wearing USM stuff or telling people I was a USM fan. If I did, it was usually surprise with an "I don't run into many of ya'll,"  because...well, they don't.  Occasionally, others were complimentary (I was up there during the 2011 season) or gave me sympathy (I was also up there during the 2012 season).

From my experience, the Ole Miss fanbase in the Jackson area is far more obnoxious than in Oxford--probably because they are less knowledgeable--but little of that is directed at USM.  As much as it pains the older fans to admit it, Ole Miss fans (with an occasional exception) are ignorant about USM and if they have any interest, it is positive.

From my experience, State fans are far more condescending toward USM. In the last 10 years, that fanbase has become insufferable.

Last edited by eaglenjxn (2018-01-05 01:42:49)

Liked by:

#40 2018-01-05 07:04:06 - Ole Miss/State mindset

AndreWhere (1252)

eaglenjxn wrote:

Memphis basketball fans (who are inexplicably also Tennessee football fans)

Reminds me of the people who follow USM baseball but don't really follow football and wouldn't be seen in Reed Green under any circumstance. They're not fans of USM athletics as a whole, and they're certainly not backers of USM as an overall institution. These people are fans in some sense, but they're low-value fans. They want to be associated with something successful because they think it'll run off on them. It's weak.

Personally I am a supporter of USM as an institution. If you told me, hypothetically, that football would drop to FCS but also that someone in the Polymer Science department would win a Nobel Prize, I'd take it.

eaglenjxn wrote:

Hattiesburg is not a close city--probably four hours (?) from Oxford.

This is why I have a problem with State and Ole Miss as rivals, and really have a problem with the concept of "states" in general. Before the Civil War, the states were sovereign entities that existed to protect their people from the federal government. That was stolen from us, and the states are just arbitrary bureaucratic groupings. They should really be called "provinces," which is what they are.

Because of that, it pisses me off when, for example, the Biloxi paper covers Alcorn State sports more than it covers Tulane sports, or the New Orleans paper writes up a story about the Northwestern State game but not the USM game.

USM's rivals ought to be Tulane in basketball and football, and UNO in baseball and basketball.

eaglenjxn wrote:

From my experience, State fans are far more condescending toward USM. In the last 10 years, that fanbase has become insufferable.

State and its fans are just obnoxious. 90% of State alumni who I've met are wet blankets with weird hang-ups and crazy apocalyptic religious views. Any obsession they have with SEC football is really at odds with their deeply held conviction that the messiah will soon reappear and lead the 188,888 chosen ones to a delightsome fellowship with Abraham's bosom (or whatever... I zone out after the third mention of Nebuchadnezzar), thus rendering the fact that State hasn't won an SEC football championship for 70+ years irrelevant.

Board footer