CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#61 2018-01-02 22:20:57 - Offseason baseball thread

beagle (176)
Member
From: Cloverleaf Mall parking lot
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 1,260

Re: Offseason baseball thread

Are Berry and nastybunch the same people?

USM, which opens the season with a three game series vs. Mississippi State in Hattiesburg on Feb. 16-18, plans to release its full schedule when opponents and game times have been settled for the Stephen F. Austin tournament.

“I just hate losing the three home games,” USM head coach Scott Berry said. “I’m sure it’s going to cost us for sure. That’s three gates and everything that goes into a game day in terms of revenue.”

Last edited by beagle (2018-01-02 22:21:39)


"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

Offline

Liked by:

#62 2018-01-02 22:22:13 - Offseason baseball thread

AndreWhere (279)
Member
From: Dunwoody, GA
Registered: 2017-08-24
Posts: 2,809
Website

Re: Offseason baseball thread

beagle wrote:

Are Berry and nastybunch the same people?

USM, which opens the season with a three game series vs. Mississippi State in Hattiesburg on Feb. 16-18, plans to release its full schedule when opponents and game times have been settled for the Stephen F. Austin tournament.

“I just hate losing the three home games,” USM head coach Scott Berry said. “I’m sure it’s going to cost us for sure. That’s three gates and everything that goes into a game day in terms of revenue.”

Has he ever coached football or basketball?


Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

Online

#63 2018-01-02 22:48:33 - Offseason baseball thread

Black Diamond Reb (133)
Member
From: Palmers Crossing, Mississippi
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 539

Re: Offseason baseball thread

beagle wrote:

“I just hate losing the three home games,” USM head coach Scott Berry said. “I’m sure it’s going to cost us for sure. That’s three gates and everything that goes into a game day in terms of revenue.”

He knows what's important. The 13th grade brigade isn't to be trifled with.


"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."

Offline

Liked by:

#64 2018-01-03 21:06:22 - Offseason baseball thread

beagle (176)
Member
From: Cloverleaf Mall parking lot
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 1,260

Re: Offseason baseball thread

We released the schedule (finally!). Still waiting to see which teams (3 of SFA, Bradley, South Dakota State, and UT-Arlington) we will face in Nacogdoches from Feb 23-25.

http://www.southernmiss.com/sports/m-bas...sched.html

Last edited by beagle (2018-01-05 02:07:23)


"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

Offline

#65 2018-01-05 11:55:05 - Offseason baseball thread

beagle (176)
Member
From: Cloverleaf Mall parking lot
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 1,260

Re: Offseason baseball thread

Hill Denson being inducted in the ABCA HOF tonight.

https://twitter.com/belhavenbase/status … 5630202881


"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

Offline

#66 2018-01-07 18:35:49 - Offseason baseball thread

beagle (176)
Member
From: Cloverleaf Mall parking lot
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 1,260

Re: Offseason baseball thread

Never heard of this site, but they discussed the opening series a little in their countdown to 2/16. This is a very State alum thing for me to point out (those assholes love pointing out very minor details in attendance counting, particularly when it comes to Southern Miss), but they did short us about 300 people when mentioning our average 2017 attendance.

https://collegebaseballcentral.com/coll … iss/16757/

Last edited by beagle (2018-01-07 20:04:34)


"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

Offline

#67 2018-01-07 18:45:54 - Offseason baseball thread

beagle (176)
Member
From: Cloverleaf Mall parking lot
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 1,260

Re: Offseason baseball thread

Speaking of which, the NCAA recently released their 2018 record book with official attendance figures from the 2017 season. We finished #16 in the country with 3,369 a game. Only non-P5 school that did better than we did was ULL.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/baseball_ … attend.pdf


"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

Offline

Liked by:

#68 2018-01-08 12:48:25 - Offseason baseball thread

beagle (176)
Member
From: Cloverleaf Mall parking lot
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 1,260

Re: Offseason baseball thread

They have announced the schedule for the SFA Tournament. We’ll play 4 games.

http://sfajacks.com/schedule.aspx?path=baseball

Fri, Feb. 23 - Bradley (11am)
Fri, Feb. 23 - South Dakota State (3pm)
Sat, Feb. 24 - UT-Arlington (11am)
Sun, Feb. 25 - Stephen F. Austin (4:30pm)

All opponents are now set. Still waiting on game times from Alabama, Ole Miss, and Marshall. Location for Marshall isn’t set yet, per our release. They haven’t released their schedule yet. We might play in Beckley (summer league park) or Huntington (YMCA field) if Charleston isn’t available.

Last edited by beagle (2018-01-08 12:54:29)


"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

Offline

Liked by:

#69 2018-01-08 16:01:17 - Offseason baseball thread

beagle (176)
Member
From: Cloverleaf Mall parking lot
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 1,260

Re: Offseason baseball thread

beagle wrote:

They have announced the schedule for the SFA Tournament. We’ll play 4 games.

http://sfajacks.com/schedule.aspx?path=baseball

Fri, Feb. 23 - Bradley (11am)
Fri, Feb. 23 - South Dakota State (3pm)
Sat, Feb. 24 - UT-Arlington (11am)
Sun, Feb. 25 - Stephen F. Austin (4:30pm)

All opponents are now set. Still waiting on game times from Alabama, Ole Miss, and Marshall. Location for Marshall isn’t set yet, per our release. They haven’t released their schedule yet. We might play in Beckley (summer league park) or Huntington (YMCA field) if Charleston isn’t available.

Minor correction: we’ll play 3 games (not 4) in Nacogdoches, per the USM site. We won’t play Bradley.

Fri, Feb. 23 - South Dakota State (3pm)
Sat, Feb. 24 - UT-Arlington (11am)
Sun, Feb. 25 - Stephen F. Austin (4:30pm)

http://www.southernmiss.com/sports/m-ba … sched.html

Also, our schedule now has the Marshall series listed in Beckley, WV instead of Charleston, where most Marshall conference games are played. This will be our first ever trip to Beckley.

Last edited by beagle (2018-01-08 16:05:09)


"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

Offline

#70 2018-01-09 20:04:40 - Offseason baseball thread

beagle (176)
Member
From: Cloverleaf Mall parking lot
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 1,260

Re: Offseason baseball thread

Sandlin named 1st Team All-American by Perfect Game. Wallner 2nd team.

https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/Vi … icle=14782

Although Sandlin may not match the other pitchers on the First Team when it comes to sheer velocity, few can match the success he has enjoyed the past two seasons serving as the closer at Southern Miss. He recorded 12 saves in 26 relief appearances in 2016 on his way to earning Freshman All-American honors, and saved another eight as a sophomore while going 10-2 in 29 appearances, striking out 80 in 56 2/3 innings. He does the most of his damage by filling up the strike zone with upper-80s to low-90s fastballs from a very low and deceptive nearly sidearm slot. His ability to shorten games by more than just an inning at a time allowed Southern Miss to go 50-16 in 2017, and serve as a Regional host, with even bigger expectations for the Eagles heading into 2018.

Couple dates to look out for ....

1/10 - Perfect Game preseason top 25 released
1/12 or 1/13 - College Baseball Daily CUSA preview posted
1/16 - D1 preseason top 25 released
1/24 - Perfect Game top 100 sophomore prospects (Wallner watch)

CBD, D1, PG, and the CUSA coaches will all have preseason polls for our league. I’ll try to put together a composite poll of the 4 preseason rankings for the conference when everyone has released their preview. Decent chance we’ll be the composite favorite (first time ever?).

Last edited by beagle (2018-01-09 20:06:25)


"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

Offline

#71 2018-01-09 20:08:58 - Offseason baseball thread

AndreWhere (279)
Member
From: Dunwoody, GA
Registered: 2017-08-24
Posts: 2,809
Website

Re: Offseason baseball thread

beagle wrote:

CUSA coaches

I had actually been looking for that particular poll. Guess it doesn't exist yet.


Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

Online

#72 2018-01-10 09:48:04 - Offseason baseball thread

eaglenjxn (9)
Member
Registered: 2018-01-04
Posts: 21

Re: Offseason baseball thread

beagle wrote:

Sandlin named 1st Team All-American by Perfect Game. Wallner 2nd team.

https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/Vi … icle=14782

Although Sandlin may not match the other pitchers on the First Team when it comes to sheer velocity, few can match the success he has enjoyed the past two seasons serving as the closer at Southern Miss. He recorded 12 saves in 26 relief appearances in 2016 on his way to earning Freshman All-American honors, and saved another eight as a sophomore while going 10-2 in 29 appearances, striking out 80 in 56 2/3 innings. He does the most of his damage by filling up the strike zone with upper-80s to low-90s fastballs from a very low and deceptive nearly sidearm slot. His ability to shorten games by more than just an inning at a time allowed Southern Miss to go 50-16 in 2017, and serve as a Regional host, with even bigger expectations for the Eagles heading into 2018.

Couple dates to look out for ....

1/10 - Perfect Game preseason top 25 released
1/12 or 1/13 - College Baseball Daily CUSA preview posted
1/16 - D1 preseason top 25 released
1/24 - Perfect Game top 100 sophomore prospects (Wallner watch)

Getting a little greedy here given that, IMO, Sandlin was our most valuable player last year:

One thing I would love to see from him:  As much work as he gave us last year, if he could lower his pitch count, there's no telling how much we could have gotten out of him.  His stuff is off the charts nasty.  I know part of that is a product of being a strikeout pitcher...but even then, he goes deep into counts (2-2 or 3-2).  I would not mind seeing his strikeout numbers go down a little, replacing those with weak ground balls.

Offline

#73 2018-01-10 09:59:14 - Offseason baseball thread

beagle (176)
Member
From: Cloverleaf Mall parking lot
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 1,260

Re: Offseason baseball thread

USM is among those that were “under consideration” for the Perfect Game Top 25. Just missed the cut.

https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/Vi … icle=14784

Ole Miss #11
Mississippi State #25
No South Alabama, ULL, Rice, etc.


"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

Offline

#74 2018-01-10 11:31:45 - Offseason baseball thread

beagle (176)
Member
From: Cloverleaf Mall parking lot
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 1,260

Re: Offseason baseball thread

Ticket policy announced for State series.

http://www.southernmiss.com/sports/m-ba … 18aac.html


"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

Offline

#75 2018-01-10 13:00:07 - Offseason baseball thread

AndreWhere (279)
Member
From: Dunwoody, GA
Registered: 2017-08-24
Posts: 2,809
Website

Re: Offseason baseball thread

Looks like someone talked Gilbert out of his "personal seat license" idea.


Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

Online

#76 2018-01-10 14:00:16 - Offseason baseball thread

tg300 (148)
Member
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 584

Re: Offseason baseball thread

And the bitch fest from moo u fans begins NOW.

That is some convoluted shit though.

Offline

#77 2018-01-10 14:10:42 - Offseason baseball thread

Black Diamond Reb (133)
Member
From: Palmers Crossing, Mississippi
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 539

Re: Offseason baseball thread

tg300 wrote:

That is some convoluted shit.

So if you bought a ticket to the basketball game vs. Rust and a bag of boiled peanuts at any home SUNWACUSA football game you can buy a general admission ticket on Wednesday from 12:30-12:47 if you wear your "Sothern" Miss tee shirt from the Florida State massacre? But you can only pick it up at will call for the Sunday game?

I can't wait.

Last edited by Black Diamond Reb (2018-01-11 09:20:20)


"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."

Offline

#78 2018-01-10 14:42:37 - Offseason baseball thread

Eaglebird Humperdink (134)
Member
Registered: 2017-09-11
Posts: 523

Re: Offseason baseball thread

Black Diamond Reb wrote:
tg300 wrote:

That is some convoluted shit.

So if you bought a ticket to the basketball game vs. Rust and a bag of boiled peanuts at any home SUNWACUSA home football game you can buy a general admission ticket on Wednesday from 12:30-12:47 if you wear your "Sothern" Miss tee shirt from the Florida State massacre? But you can only pick it up at will call for the Sunday game?

I can't wait.

I've got my Little Orphan Annie decoder ring set to TTT. Count me in.

Offline

#79 2018-01-10 21:57:23 - Offseason baseball thread

beagle (176)
Member
From: Cloverleaf Mall parking lot
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 1,260

Re: Offseason baseball thread

Couple Staters are already bitching on the Facebooks.

https://www.facebook.com/MSStateBasebal … 2419115111

I've gone back and forth on this, but I'm fine with us locking those guys out of the tickets. Their fans do nothing but shit on our university, alums, and students. Why should we reward them by giving them tickets to our home games? We should give them ~100 tickets for the families of players but that's it.

I know they can't play in Starkville, but if they really wanted a series where their fans could attend they could have scheduled a 3-game series at Trustmark against Indiana State or somebody.

Last edited by beagle (2018-01-10 22:02:04)


"We played 12 SEC games when I was here, and 14 of those were on the road!"

- PW Underwood (RIP)

Offline

#80 2018-01-11 00:39:59 - Offseason baseball thread

Black Diamond Reb (133)
Member
From: Palmers Crossing, Mississippi
Registered: 2017-08-25
Posts: 539

Re: Offseason baseball thread

beagle wrote:

Their fans do nothing but shit on our university, alums, and students.

Do elaborate.


"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."

Offline

Board footer