CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-11 16:16:21 - Southern Miss Officially

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Southern Miss Officially

Got MTSU eliminated from March Madness....

Well done, Doc....well done

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#2 2018-03-11 16:57:29 - Southern Miss Officially

AndreWhere (1252)

Re: Southern Miss Officially

So all the at-large bids have been announced and CUSA is a one big "league" again? Sad.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#3 2018-03-11 17:16:49 - Southern Miss Officially

tg300 (439)

AndreWhere wrote:

So all the at-large bids have been announced and CUSA is a one big "league" again? Sad.

As usual.

#4 2018-03-11 17:27:53 - Southern Miss Officially

stinkfist (764)

tg300 wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

As usual.

that's what happens when the bottom tier is nothing more than juco caliber and you can't schedule quality OOC opposition....

two is the most couscous 3.0 will ever have an opportunity to achieve.....

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

#5 2018-03-11 17:42:04 - Southern Miss Officially

AndreWhere (1252)

stinkfist wrote:
tg300 wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

As usual.

that's what happens when the bottom tier is nothing more than juco caliber and you can't schedule quality OOC opposition....

two is the most couscous 3.0 will ever have an opportunity to achieve.....

Used to be a 4-bid league until the good teams left without paying exit fees.

#6 2018-03-11 17:47:22 - Southern Miss Officially

AndreWhere wrote:

teams left without paying exit fees.

tenor.gif

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#7 2018-03-11 17:51:12 - Southern Miss Officially

99beers (303)

What, we didnt make the big dance?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

#8 2018-03-11 18:02:39 - Southern Miss Officially

AndreWhere (1252)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

teams left without paying exit fees.

tenor.gif

It's true, as far as I understand things. Exit fees were owed only to the extent that media money already contracted for was impacted. Of course, no one ever cancelled a media contract with CUSA. The league just got screwed when the contracts were renegotiated.

This is why CUSA is not, and has never been, a "real" conference in the sense other conferences are.

Ever wonder why "P6" is suddenly this big, official AAC marketing thing, but when the same basic teams were called CUSA there was nothing like that? It's probably because the AAC has exit fees. They're actually trying to build something now.

#9 2018-03-11 18:18:04 - Southern Miss Officially

I get how we got screwed when we had to negotiate a new media rights deal with the new batch of directional schools but I saw articles where Tulane, Tulsa, etc were paying exit fees to CUSA and entrance fees to the AAC. I want it confirmed that we are still holding our charter member exit fee card and pay our original exit fee terms if/when we leave.

#10 2018-03-11 18:29:29 - Southern Miss Officially

AndreWhere (1252)

I get how we got screwed when we had to negotiate a new media rights deal with the new batch of directional schools but I saw articles where Tulane, Tulsa, etc were paying exit fees to CUSA and entrance fees to the AAC. I want it confirmed that we are still holding our charter member exit fee card and pay our original exit fee terms if/when we leave.

I've read all sorts of crap about those exit fees, both on message boards and in the print and online media. What I posted is not gospel truth, but it's the closest thing to gospel truth that I've been able to ferret out over the years. CUSA exit fees are an enigma worthy of the Kremlin, and the people you might expect to sort all this stuff out and write about it would rather do stories about Nick Saban doing the Macarena or whatever.

In any case, I doubt USM has any obligation to pay exit fees to CUSA.

#11 2018-03-11 18:36:45 - Southern Miss Officially

AndreWhere (1252)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n … 414183002/

Kermit Davis on his MTSU team, which he thinks is Sweet 16 caliber: "It is a tough world we live in (as a mid-major conference member). It’s a grind for us because you cannot slip up one bit. You lose just one game to a C-USA team and then all the pundits put us out."

Darn those mean old pundits!!

#12 2018-03-11 19:52:44 - Southern Miss Officially

Black Diamond Reb (418)

AndreWhere wrote:

Darn those mean old pundits!!

They hate diversity.

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#13 2018-03-11 20:22:55 - Southern Miss Officially

The NCAA has no play to help mid majors even if they wanted to. Days of it being about an even playing field for basketball post seasons are dying a quick death. Gonzaga is the Boise of basketball and no one else is getting a seat at the big table. We are a few short years away from several Power 5 programs walking away from the NCAA to do their own thing and legally they can and will. It no different than The Dallas Cowboys getting tired of “equal” league sharing with teams like the Buffalo Bills when everyone knows The Cowboys bring in 3 times the revenue on jersey sales and Pepsi sales. So, the Cowboys went and worked their own deals. Hell, last month The Cowboys gave the finger to the NFL ticket partner Ticketmaster and bought 15% of one of their competitors to sell Cowboy tickets. Once schools like Bama, Texas, USC, etc...can work a deal with Fox or Disney to create a non NCAA sanctioned league where players get paid and the revenue flood gates go directly to their savings accounts the NCAA and their billion dollar revenue for a, cough, non profit, go away.

#14 2018-03-11 20:28:26 - Southern Miss Officially

AndreWhere (1252)

The NCAA has no play to help mid majors even if they wanted to. Days of it being about an even playing field for basketball post seasons are dying a quick death. Gonzaga is the Boise of basketball and no one else is getting a seat at the big table. We are a few short years away from several Power 5 programs walking away from the NCAA to do their own thing and legally they can and will. It no different than The Dallas Cowboys getting tired of “equal” league sharing with teams like the Buffalo Bills when everyone knows The Cowboys bring in 3 times the revenue on jersey sales and Pepsi sales. So, the Cowboys went and worked their own deals. Hell, last month The Cowboys gave the finger to the NFL ticket partner Ticketmaster and bought 15% of one of their competitors to sell Cowboy tickets. Once schools like Bama, Texas, USC, etc...can work a deal with Fox or Disney to create a non NCAA sanctioned league where players get paid and the revenue flood gates go directly to their savings accounts the NCAA and their billion dollar revenue for a, cough, non profit, go away.

Mostly agree, but "P5" isn't relevant outside of football. The AAC isn't losing its seat at the table in basketball.

They may get a seat at the table in football as well. This is exactly why USM's failure to stick with the schools in what's now called the AAC was a fatal error.

I got criticized for saying so in 2012 on the other board, by a guy named "gdunn" among others, but getting left out of the AAC will have big implications for USM in an overall sense.

Liked by:

#15 2018-03-18 17:59:24 - Southern Miss Officially

AndreWhere (1252)

Looks like Davis is coaching MTSU in the NIT. They're losing @Louisville right now.

Kind of bush league that the NIT doesn't play all its games at a neutral site.

Board footer