CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-13 11:47:48 - Brees

EagleFWB (176)

Brees

Resigned a two year deal.... Talks of trying to get Jimmy Graham back

#2 2018-03-13 17:07:00 - Brees

tg300 (439)

Re: Brees

EagleFWB wrote:

Resigned a two year deal.... Talks of trying to get Jimmy Graham back

Wouldn't bet on Graham.

But what do I know.

#3 2018-03-13 17:08:58 - Brees

AndreWhere (1252)

Brees has been on short-term deals for a few years now. I guess that limits the Saints ability to play games with the salary cap, but it also insulates them against nasty cap-related surprises when Brees' play finally declines.

Saints are entering a (likely short) window of Super Bowl possibilities. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Brees and Payton get one more championship before they' leave New Orleans.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#4 2018-03-13 19:52:40 - Brees

AndreWhere (1252)

Been reading more about this. It's a 1-year commitment by the Saints at $27 million, with an option for next year at a similar salary.

Some people are acting like Brees did the Saints a favor by settling for slightly less money and a shorter commitment than Kirk Cousins just got.

I'm not sure about that. The dynamic is completely different. Neither the Saints nor Brees are in a place that's amenable to a big change. Both Benson and Brees perceive the presence of Father Time, and they both also want one more championship ring.

If Brees has another age-defying, All-Pro level season, the Saints will again be up to bat with a full count. If he doesn't, the Saints can void the deal, and Brees will be free to shop around. Considering how much money has been offered to people like Cousins, Nick Foles, Alex Smith, etc., I think Brees will have no problem attracting a big free agent deal if it comes to that.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

Board footer