CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-16 08:32:11 - Gilbys mentor just got a new job

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Gilbys mentor just got a new job

His loyal friend Dave Hart has been named a “special” advisor for the Chancellor at ECU......since he is essentially the acting AD maybe a baseball or football game could be coming our way......or maybe he will hire his old buddy to be the permanent AD.....

giphy.gif

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#2 2018-03-16 09:52:15 - Gilbys mentor just got a new job

AndreWhere (1252)

Re: Gilbys mentor just got a new job

Hopefully Brer Pirate throws us right into the briar patch. Gilbert's main achievement at USM has been to inspire a new appreciation for his predecessors.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

Liked by:

#3 2018-03-16 10:55:32 - Gilbys mentor just got a new job

The guy that runs BGN was just on The Chuck Oliver Show in ATL. The interview was fairly worthless because he wasn’t honest with the question about what’s going on with our attendance. Heath Hinton said our fans are starting to comeback like the days of Fedora......dude, we went the exact opposite last season.

The best part of the discussion was Chuck Oliver(Auburn grad) talking about who we are and what every La Tech, WKU, etc....are trying to be but they can’t because they don’t have our history and what we have already accomplished beating Bama, Auburn, FSU, etc... total respect for us and he basically condemned schools like UGA who have a cupcake schedule and need to schedule a school like us just so the fans can actually enjoy the game knowing our history instead of playing a school like Furman.

Gilby needs to operate with this kind of mentality even if he had nothing to do with our past. It’s the only thing we have going for us. Maybe that’s why FSU played us in Shreveport.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#4 2018-03-16 11:13:53 - Gilbys mentor just got a new job

AndreWhere (1252)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

The guy that runs BGN was just on The Chuck Oliver Show in ATL. The interview was fairly worthless because he wasn’t honest with the question about what’s going on with our attendance. Heath Hinton said our fans are starting to comeback like the days of Fedora......dude, we went the exact opposite last season.

The best part of the discussion was Chuck Oliver(Auburn grad) talking about who we are and what every La Tech, WKU, etc....are trying to be but they can’t because they don’t have our history and what we have already accomplished beating Bama, Auburn, FSU, etc... total respect for us and he basically condemned schools like UGA who have a cupcake schedule and need to schedule a school like us just so the fans can actually enjoy the game knowing our history instead of playing a school like Furman.

Gilby needs to operate with this kind of mentality even if he had nothing to do with our past. It’s the only thing we have going for us. Maybe that’s why FSU played us in Shreveport.

Yeah, Chuck's pretty great. I wish everyone knew what he knew, but for 6 years now people have been seeing USM's name next to FIU, WKU, etcetera. It's one of the main reasons I wish USM would ditch CUSA. There is a reputation and an identity there but it's buried under the CUSA manure pile.

Nothing pisses me off more than when Bryan Hoyt bitches at Chuck for talking about a non-P5 team. That's not an issue on Chuck's own show, of course.

Liked by:

#5 2018-03-16 16:53:40 - Gilbys mentor just got a new job

Ace Barker (260)
Website

I have never understood our love fest with ECU.

Ace...

#6 2018-03-16 16:55:08 - Gilbys mentor just got a new job

Ace Barker (260)
Website

Who in the Hell is Chuck?

Ace...

#7 2018-03-16 17:03:34 - Gilbys mentor just got a new job

admin (289)
Administrator

Ace Barker wrote:

Who in the Hell is Chuck?

Ace...

Chuck Oliver is pretty much the only sports media person in Atlanta who knows what he's talking about. I guess Bo Bock qualifies, too, but they've relegated him to a pretty obscure station.

I don't know if you'd call Chuck a USM fan, but he was spotted wearing a USM shirt recently. I think it was the day of the UGA-Bama college football playoff, or maybe the day they announced the CFP match-ups.

#8 2018-03-16 17:28:16 - Gilbys mentor just got a new job

AndreWhere (1252)

Ace Barker wrote:

I have never understood our love fest with ECU.

Ace...

There have been a lot of games between the two teams over the years, some of them pretty memorable. That said, our similarities have gradually disappeared over the last 20 years or so.

The 2012 home football opener vs. ECU will always stand out in my mind as a memorable landmark on USM's road to obscurity. It was a fun game day until Dry Cell McButterfingers fumbled it away. Nothing I've seen at M.M. Roberts since then has in any way resembled that day.

Last edited by AndreWhere (2018-03-16 17:28:49)

#9 2018-03-16 18:30:41 - Gilbys mentor just got a new job

CajunEagle (44)

In an effort to get away from all the Katrina madness in 2005, 5 of us flew to Raleigh.....(yeah, our arms were tired) then drove up to Howdy-Doody stadium for their game with USM on Oct.,1st.  Security took my pocket knife and nail clippers, and never gave them back.  Beat the crap out of them, like 33-7 (sumpin like that).  Never seen so many stankin assholes congregated in one place..........except in Houston.

#10 2018-03-16 18:37:51 - Gilbys mentor just got a new job

CajunEagle wrote:

Never seen so many stankin assholes congregated in one place..........

Next time we play in the swamp take it in.......worst fans in the country and its not even close.......

#11 2018-03-16 18:51:19 - Gilbys mentor just got a new job

admin (289)
Administrator

Just emailed Chuck Oliver my thanks for covering USM and he immediately responded with his own take on why he follows USM. If you ever feel like listening to sports radio and you've already heard all you need to know about Ed Orgeron doing the Macarena, give Chuck a listen.

#12 2018-03-16 18:52:36 - Gilbys mentor just got a new job

admin (289)
Administrator

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:
CajunEagle wrote:

Never seen so many stankin assholes congregated in one place..........

Next time we play in the swamp take it in.......worst fans in the country and its not even close.......

Fresno State? New York Jets?

There are some real jerks out there.

LSU fans certainly make their case.

Board footer