CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-04 15:21:26 - Ready Player One

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Ready Player One

Don’t get to see many movies in the theater outside of Disney flicks since I have a 3yo but was able to see Ready Player One. Wasn’t going out of my way to see it but it was the only movie that worked with my schedule. First take is that it is a classic Spielberg movie not involving War or Tom Hanks..... very much like old school Goonies if Goonies was set in the year 2045 and into VR. Movie had tons of pop culture references from the 80’s and 90’s.....too many and I know I probably missed several due to the pace of the movie. It does a great job entertaining and definitely gives you a glimpse into what technology will be like within the next 10 years. If you think smartphones and iPads have taken social interaction to a new low just wait until VR becomes the norm and you will have a tough time separating ones avatar from the real person. Decent flick and worth a matinee price for admission.

ready-player-one-poster-art.jpg

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Liked by:

#2 2018-04-05 17:15:56 - Ready Player One

AndreWhere (1252)

Re: Ready Player One

I saw someone compare Ready Player One to The Wizard (late 80s Fred Savage Nintendo movie; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wizard_(film) )

I thought, "surely it's better than *that*."

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#3 2018-04-05 18:30:44 - Ready Player One

Never saw that movie.

It has some similar elements and overtones to The Last Starfighter.....in fact I think the ship from that movie is one of the pop culture cameos......along with that Lonestar RV ship from Spaceballs.....

WTvPAIN.gif

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#4 2018-04-05 19:09:15 - Ready Player One

AndreWhere (1252)

The Last Starfighter was good. It hasn't gotten the love (i.e. references) it deserves heretofore.

I watched Spaceballs in the theater... my family was big on going to the movies, whether they were appropriate for my young age or not. Some of the ones I remember are Wrath of Khan, Empire Strikes Back, Ishtar, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Howard the Duck, and Ferris Bueller... I spent a lot of my childhood with my mom's hand pressed firmly over my eyes.

#5 2018-04-05 20:17:49 - Ready Player One

AndreWhere wrote:

The Last Starfighter was good. It hasn't gotten the love (i.e. references) it deserves heretofore.

I watched Spaceballs in the theater... my family was big on going to the movies, whether they were appropriate for my young age or not. Some of the ones I remember are Wrath of Khan, Empire Strikes Back, Ishtar, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Howard the Duck, and Ferris Bueller... I spent a lot of my childhood with my mom's hand pressed firmly over my eyes.

Ishtar........good lawd......

Wrath of Kahn.....the “Steve Jobs” guy in Ready Player One has the Spock capsule from that movie.....and Cameron’s fathers Ferrari also made the movie. Based on your childhood you should probably check it out.

#6 2018-04-06 06:57:57 - Ready Player One

EagleFWB (176)

I read somewhere the other day that they were rumors of a Last Starfighter remake. That was a pretty cool flick. They'll probably screw it up.

#7 2018-04-06 07:37:30 - Ready Player One

EagleFWB wrote:

I read somewhere the other day that they were rumors of a Last Starfighter remake. That was a pretty cool flick. They'll probably screw it up.

I saw that as well. The guy who wrote Rogue One is behind the reboot. Thought Rogue One was a well developed story and I would put it in the top 4 of the SW movie library.

Liked by:

#8 2018-04-07 16:54:16 - Ready Player One

AndreWhere (1252)

EagleFWB wrote:

Well, I doubt it will be set in a trailer park like the original. The Tarantinos and Weinsteins of the world would never depict anything even remotely good happening in a trailer park.

#9 2018-04-10 10:29:40 - Ready Player One

AndreWhere wrote:

Well, I doubt it will be set in a trailer park like the original. The Tarantinos and Weinsteins of the world would never depict anything even remotely good happening in a trailer park.

Actually.......the main character from RPO lives in a trailer park......a trailer park of the future called The Stacks.....

readyplayerone-05222016.jpg

Board footer