CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-25 15:06:17 - Updated Regional Projections

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Updated Regional Projections

D1 Baseball has us now as a 2 seed in Oxford.....up from a 3 seed last week. Odd they have UGA hosting in Athens and they are not even in their Top 25 currently. Looking at who they have hosting you have to admit that if we finish the regular season with 40 wins, capture the regular and post season CUSA titles, that we are not on the bubble to host.......and as one other projection has it.....us hosting with LSU in our regional.....

https://d1baseball.com/postseason/proje … -april-25/

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#2 2018-04-25 17:18:55 - Updated Regional Projections

AndreWhere (1252)

Re: Updated Regional Projections

I would like to think that a team that's easily in the top 16 in the polls would get to host, but for whatever reason the RPI just isn't there. Hosting seems like a long shot.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#3 2018-04-25 17:45:03 - Updated Regional Projections

stinkfist (764)

muh nate

muh polls

muhhh zero

it's a pretty simple equation relative to weighting.....

it's all about rpi.....muh polls only yield extra relish with that sauce............winning always  solves the problem....

Last edited by stinkfist (2018-04-25 17:46:49)

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

#4 2018-04-25 18:19:17 - Updated Regional Projections

USMstang (303)

Muh Russian collusion...now they're controlling college baseball

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

Liked by:

#5 2018-04-25 18:52:37 - Updated Regional Projections

AndreWhere (1252)

stinkfist wrote:

muh nate

muh polls

muhhh zero

it's all about rpi.....muh polls only yield extra relish with that sauce............winning always  solves the problem....

RPI is a very simple formula. If you're OK with sports being controlled by spreadsheets, and simple ones at that, keep slapping down anyone who talks about anything other than RPI.

I remember Larry Eustachy doing that once, and we all liked it. It's a legitimate thing.

Larry had a lot more ammunition on his belt than the people claiming USM is the thirtieth best college baseball team in the country, though. A team USM took a series from on the road, with a 15 run differential, is 16 spots ahead of USM in RPI. So FAU is going to host a regional? Does that mean they beat us in the conference tournament?

I'm not buying it. I'm the opposite of a homer when it comes to USM sports... but "muh RPI." smile

#6 2018-04-25 19:05:25 - Updated Regional Projections

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

We are the only team in the top 12 not hosting in this projection. As long as we continue to win we will continue to climb in all polls. We can only lose 2 CUSA games(and not in the same series) the rest of the way in order to win the regular season and be a legit top 10 team going into the tournament. We win the tournament I can’t see a top 10 team that sells every single regional ticket not getting the bid. UCONN, UK and UGA will not be more worthy in that scenario.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#7 2018-04-27 09:13:04 - Updated Regional Projections

eaglenjxn (11)

AndreWhere wrote:
stinkfist wrote:

muh nate

muh polls

muhhh zero

RPI is a very simple formula. If you're OK with sports being controlled by spreadsheets, and simple ones at that, keep slapping down anyone who talks about anything other than RPI.

I remember Larry Eustachy doing that once, and we all liked it. It's a legitimate thing.

Larry had a lot more ammunition on his belt than the people claiming USM is the thirtieth best college baseball team in the country, though. A team USM took a series from on the road, with a 15 run differential, is 16 spots ahead of USM in RPI. So FAU is going to host a regional? Does that mean they beat us in the conference tournament?

I'm not buying it. I'm the opposite of a homer when it comes to USM sports... but "muh RPI." smile

I'd prefer college baseball be controlled by spreadsheet than by subjective opinion of athletics administrators who watch no college baseball outside of maybe their own team playing 20 times per season.

There are too many teams and too many games for any person to truly know enough to have a valid subjective opinion. Hell, you can read Kendall Rogers and Aaron Fitt (probably the two biggest "college baseball experts") and you can tell they are just basing half their content on box scores and season statistics for teams.

Last edited by eaglenjxn (2018-04-27 09:13:47)

#8 2018-04-27 19:08:17 - Updated Regional Projections

AndreWhere (1252)

eaglenjxn wrote:

I'd prefer college baseball be controlled by spreadsheet than by subjective opinion of athletics administrators who watch no college baseball outside of maybe their own team playing 20 times per season.

Makes sense. I guess I'd like for the formula to be more sophisticated than the current RPI formula, though. The football formula at least takes polls into consideration. I don't think that's a bad thing. I actually liked it when the media got to elect a national champion in football. There's nothing wrong with the best story winning the national championship. That's how the Heisman works.

Board footer