CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-30 18:27:56 - Joe Simpson on batting practice hooliganism

AndreWhere (1252)

Joe Simpson on batting practice hooliganism

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2018/07/29/br … ce-attire/

He's issued an apology (through the team's media office), but his comments sure were entertaining at the time. I wasn't impressed by the Soap-Dodgers sloppy, unstockinged batting practice yesterday myself, but Joe was downright indignant:

SIMPSON: You know that I grew up in the Dodger organization and certainly was taught how to play professional baseball and do things the right way. I want you to look at some things that were going on today in batting practice here with the Dodgers. What do you see? T-shirts. You see Chase Utley with no socks and pants up over his knees. This was prevalent with their whole team. And I think about fans that come to SunTrust Park who are Dodgers fans and want to see their players. They had no idea who any of them were. Nobody had any kind of uniform or batting practice shirt with their name on their jersey. They look very unprofessional. I think I can say this because I know what the Dodger organization was all about-

CARAY: There’s the bunt, it is perfect.

SIMPSON: But if I were a Dodgers fan, I’d be embarrassed. And I don’t know how Major League Baseball allows such attire when the gates are open and the fans are watching. Chase Utley, I have nothing but respect for him, his whole career, thinking he’s a great player and I thought he always played the game the right way. That was an embarrassment what he had on today during practice.

CARAY: You think of all the merchandise Major League Baseball does with their batting practice uniforms and the batting practice jerseys, I’m with you. It’s called a uniform for a reason.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#2 2018-07-30 20:31:50 - Joe Simpson on batting practice hooliganism

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Re: Joe Simpson on batting practice hooliganism

Why apologize when he is right. Guys are making millions to play a game. Look the part if fans are allowed to watch batting practice. It’s not like pro golfers wear 80s rock band t shirts during practice rounds......

Last edited by Nugget's Ghostbuster (2018-07-30 20:32:46)

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#3 2018-07-30 20:36:11 - Joe Simpson on batting practice hooliganism

AndreWhere (1252)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

Why apologize when he is right. Guys are making millions to play a game. Look the part if fans are allowed to wat h batting practice. It’s not like pro golfers wear t shirts during practice rounds......

It was a pretty late, lukewarm apology.

I wonder if they behave the same way in Los Angeles, or if this was more of a "fuck it, this is Atlanta and we had a long plane ride" thing.

IDK. We can wear whatever we want where I work, but I've never worn anything other than a collared shirt and slacks. A couple of times I've worn tennis shoes, but at least one of those times I had a broken toe.

I've never understood the urge to look like shit in front of other people. Sometimes I wonder if it's some kind of passive / aggressive power play.

Last edited by AndreWhere (2018-07-30 20:37:09)

#4 2018-07-30 20:43:36 - Joe Simpson on batting practice hooliganism

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

I went from a suit four days a week to a start up for several years where our “leader” routinely had on cargo shorts and a Texas AM baseball shirt.

Let’s just say my start up burned through millions with zero results and the job with the suit went from $200 million to $800 million in revenue in just over four years.......

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#5 2018-07-30 20:51:27 - Joe Simpson on batting practice hooliganism

AndreWhere (1252)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

Let’s just say my start up burned through millions with zero results

Ugh, I don't like places like that. Was there a lot of self-help style Kool-Aid talk? I've worked at some start-up type places that were downright cult-like.

The place I work now is kind of in the middle. It's an established company with annual revenue around $500 million, but the engineering part at least has most of the perquisites of a startup, and some of the attitude.

Board footer