CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#41 2018-08-21 20:06:26 - Trying to decide

Black Diamond Reb (418)

Re: Trying to decide

Ace Barker wrote:

One could write a book on some of the nonsense that goes on at USM's athletic department.

Way ahead of you Chief ...

Mitchell is the co-author of a textbook entitled Sport, Ethics and Leadership.

https://southernmiss.com/news/2018/8/21 … th=general

Last edited by Black Diamond Reb (2018-08-21 20:07:17)

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

Liked by:

#42 2018-08-21 20:16:37 - Trying to decide

AndreWhere (1252)

Ace Barker wrote:
Black Diamond Reb wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

Of all those people, and me, guess who actually went to games?

Obviously the slow one after the Boise debacle.

Let's see. Bower wanted to go to Boise early because coaches in the south said, "go a day early and do your walk through,  get used to the altitude". G said no. G put them on an old L1011 or DC10 charter that had an engine fire when they landed. Scared the living crap out of the team. They showed up the night before the game. I went. The team struggled obviously. It was awful. Blame Jeff all you want but G had a big hand in a lot of things. Of course, you can write, "suck it up and play ball." I never played but as understand a lot of it is mental.

Let's cut funding for recruiting. Let's not pay for stamps. Let's not pay for phone bills. Let's leave the mud hole and Jeff's father put in a temporary building for the players to dress in. I am not saying Jeff was perfect. Nobody is but a lot of these administrators tied his hands. That mud hole (field house) that went on hold did a lot of damage to recruiting. "Who else you got?"

He planned to stay two years (2009).  G, Shelby, some oil guy and the car dealers fought him. Shelby, G's wife and other administrators "loosing" their cool publicly? Bad form. Martha was doing "other stuff" when this all went down and was caught off guard. It was the perfect storm.

My opinion is he should have taken another job any place and started over. years before.  I have told him that many times. I would have been happy, he would have been happy, USM fans would have been happy and we could have had Ellis Johnson earlier. The car dealers and G got their cocktail lounges and that in the end is all that matters to them. No better conference, no better teams, just sit and "we are gonna be fine."

I am not writing anymore on the subject. It was handled wrong way before Jeff was fired. It's in the past and I don't care anymore financially. One could write a book on some of the nonsense that goes on at USM's athletic department. Piss away boys!

Only my thoughts. I made most of it up.

Ace...

This is a truly awesome post and I love it.

The DC-10 was a fundamentally flawed aircraft that never should have existed. I have referred to it in meetings as an example of how engineers get shit wrong.

I'm less familiar with the L1011 but I doubt that's because it was any better.

I am tempted to encase the board in amber and preserve it as a fossil for future archaeologists.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#43 2018-08-21 20:32:31 - Trying to decide

EagleFWB (176)

Good post Ace! .... Glad to finally see you vent a little bit about it after all these years.

#44 2018-08-21 20:35:08 - Trying to decide

Ace Barker (260)
Website

Oui love to blame Bower and other coaches after him but in my opinion, “loosing” Bobby Collins to SMU was the first nail in the coffin and “loosing” Bill McClellan to G was the final nail. Any thoughts of something better ended on that day.

Ace ...

#45 2018-08-21 20:47:14 - Trying to decide

Black Diamond Reb (418)

The Terry Don fiasco gets to be thrown in there somewhere.

"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."

#46 2018-08-21 20:53:41 - Trying to decide

Ace Barker (260)
Website

Black Diamond Reb wrote:

Yes. Eye forgot about him. Man o man.

Ace...

#47 2018-08-21 20:59:16 - Trying to decide

stinkfist (764)

Black Diamond Reb wrote:

so does Schnelly pi'stachio'....

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

#48 2018-08-22 00:54:47 - Trying to decide

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Who is Jeff?

He should have taken The Wyoming job. It’s beautiful out there.

I like Jeff. Met him in that awful weight room in 92. I lived in Roswell when I enrolled at USM and eventually lived the next town over from Gainesville after graduating. Always approachable. He was the right coach at the right time. He should have left after 99 when he was at his peak value. Don’t know if anyone really came calling for him (definitely not UGA) but I agree that would have been good for both parties if he did take another team in 2000.

Unless we would have ended up with Thompson as our coach........then that would have straight up sucked....I still remember him proposing to his wife while she was doing the news.....Sorry, ECU......

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#49 2018-08-22 02:38:50 - Trying to decide

Ace Barker (260)
Website

Wyoming, Baylor, Houston and yes UGA were the ones I heard of. Iowa State was in there somewhere later. Some thought USA but I recall he was stumping for someone else. Now he enjoys his retirement, being a Grand dad, family and the college championship deal which I think this is his last year. It must be summer. He seems to get brought up once a year.

Ace...

#50 2018-08-22 03:46:28 - Trying to decide

Ace Barker (260)
Website

Back on the subject of this post, I pull for South Carolina. 

Ace...

#51 2018-08-22 06:49:35 - Trying to decide

tg300 (439)

Ace Barker wrote:

Oui love to blame Bower and other coaches after him but in my opinion, “loosing” Bobby Collins to SMU was the first nail in the coffin and “loosing” Bill McClellan to G was the final nail. Any thoughts of something better ended on that day.

Ace ...

This

#52 2018-08-22 06:56:10 - Trying to decide

tg300 (439)

Fighting eagle wrote:

Let me guess, that tg 300 guy was one of them. Never had a lengthy or meaningful conversation with the man or played a round of golf with him but he was a great person . Ignorant .

That tg300 guy never had any real interaction with the guy til waaaay after his coaching days were over.

He is very approachable as many do when he is out in the roost hanging out with his daughter and grandkids.

Was he an ass during his coaching days?  Don't know.  Don't care.

#53 2018-08-22 07:04:33 - Trying to decide

stinkfist (764)

tg300 wrote:
Fighting eagle wrote:

Let me guess, that tg 300 guy was one of them. Never had a lengthy or meaningful conversation with the man or played a round of golf with him but he was a great person . Ignorant .

That tg300 guy never had any real interaction with the guy til waaaay after his coaching days were over.

He is very approachable as many do when he is out in the roost hanging out with his daughter and grandkids.

Was he an ass during his coaching days?  Don't know.  Don't care.

what corch wasn't an 'ass' when you were playing??? by the time you get to HS athletics, it's almost a given.....at least it was back in my day....

as a comparison, Monk was way more of an ass than Bower both on camera and off.....but at the EZ drinking vodkas and red bull, he was a blast.....

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

Liked by:

#54 2018-08-22 10:29:00 - Trying to decide

skyvoyager (177)

Ace Barker wrote:
Black Diamond Reb wrote:

Ace...

didn't 2 guys accept then turn down the AD job in the same year before Mclellan finally took the job?

phillips and shaffer?

Last edited by skyvoyager (2018-08-22 10:29:39)

Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

#55 2018-08-22 16:05:22 - Trying to decide

Ace Barker (260)
Website

skyvoyager wrote:
Ace Barker wrote:
Black Diamond Reb wrote:

Ace...

didn't 2 guys accept then turn down the AD job in the same year before Mclellan finally took the job?

phillips and shaffer?

I think so. 

Dollar Bill always said, "This is a tough place." He had a heart of gold. If he found out you needed help, he would help people. He loved his Grey Goose vodka. I think that was the brand. He told me when he arrived, "USM needs to be in a conference'" He put together CUSA. I have to believe had he been here when the AAC formed that USM would not be in CUSA anymore. I talked to him later on after he left. All I will say is, it was a head shaker.

His brother Dick was a nice guy as well. I lived down the road from him on Corley Mill Rd in Lexington, SC. Dollar Bill always seemed to have time for my questions and just visiting with him. Being from SC and my Dad attending Clemson seemed to let me talk to him. I rode with him in his Jaguar and talked about his replacement when I was on the committee. Straight up and no nonsense man.

Ace...

#56 2018-08-22 16:31:37 - Trying to decide

B&GBU (259)

Ace Barker wrote:
skyvoyager wrote:
Ace Barker wrote:

Ace...

phillips and shaffer?

I think so. 

Dollar Bill always said, "This is a tough place." He had a heart of gold. If he found out you needed help, he would help people. He loved his Grey Goose vodka. I think that was the brand. He told me when he arrived, "USM needs to be in a conference'" He put together CUSA. I have to believe had he been here when the AAC formed that USM would not be in CUSA anymore. I talked to him later on after he left. All I will say is, it was a head shaker.

His brother Dick was a nice guy as well. I lived down the road from him on Corley Mill Rd in Lexington, SC. Dollar Bill always seemed to have time for my questions and just visiting with him. Being from SC and my Dad attending Clemson seemed to let me talk to him. I rode with him in his Jaguar and talked about his replacement when I was on the committee. Straight up and no nonsense man.

Ace...

He had gravitas.

"Did you ever consider that the next level would be a lower one?"

Liked by:

#57 2018-08-22 18:13:03 - Trying to decide

Black Diamond Reb (418)

Ace Barker wrote:

Dollar Bill put together CUSA.

Have been told Roland Dale's relationship with the then Tulane brass greased the path for Southern to be part of C-USA.

Liked by:

#58 2018-08-22 19:18:50 - Trying to decide

AndreWhere (1252)

Black Diamond Reb wrote:
Ace Barker wrote:

Have been told Roland Dale's relationship with the then Tulane brass greased the path for Southern to be part of C-USA.

Very plausible. I generally subscribe to the theory that USM people pre-Giannini actually had friends, while people post-Giannini just hid out in garages and avoided other humans. I'm sure they typed up some very nice memoranda.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#59 2018-08-22 19:34:55 - Trying to decide

Ace Barker (260)
Website

AndreWhere wrote:
Black Diamond Reb wrote:
Ace Barker wrote:

Very plausible. I generally subscribe to the theory that USM people pre-Giannini actually had friends, while people post-Giannini just hid out in garages and avoided other humans. I'm sure they typed up some very nice memoranda.

The right folks were in place. The car dealers wanted someone they could control. Dollar Bill was not one.

Ace...

#60 2018-08-22 21:23:45 - Trying to decide

99beers (303)

Dollar Bill was a chicken shit piece of crap and turned on the man that helped get him hired and hid and ran when the carpet conference happened in bow ties office.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

Board footer