CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-04 23:24:53 - To The Top Talk 9/4/18- Marchant Kenney

BoxingEagle (69)

To The Top Talk 9/4/18- Marchant Kenney

New episode of @To The Top Talk is up now! Our guest this week is former Southern Miss Football linebacker Marchant Kenney! Also, we recap USM vs Jackson State and preview the upcoming game against ULM Football. #SMTTT

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/9-4 … 33855&mt=2

Google Play: https://play.google.com/music/m/Dnxgw7h … son_Bailey

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/tothetoptalk/tttt090418

#2 2018-09-05 00:06:19 - To The Top Talk 9/4/18- Marchant Kenney

AndreWhere (1252)

Re: To The Top Talk 9/4/18- Marchant Kenney

This edition has a pretty special interview with Marchant Kenney. If I heard right, his mom literally jumped to her death off of the Huey P. Long bridge and his dad got caught up in the same counterfeiting ring as Billy Cannon and died in prison. A foster family and a nun recognized Kenney's talent and helped him escape these things. They all talk about the win @LSU in 1995, Cedric Walthaw, etc.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#3 2018-09-05 07:44:21 - To The Top Talk 9/4/18- Marchant Kenney

BoxingEagle (69)

AndreWhere wrote:

This edition has a pretty special interview with Marchant Kenney. If I heard right, his mom literally jumped to her death off of the Huey P. Long bridge and his dad got caught up in the same counterfeiting ring as Billy Cannon and died in prison. A foster family and a nun recognized Kenney's talent and helped him escape these things. They all talk about the win @LSU in 1995, Cedric Walthaw, etc.

You are exactly right. I knew about Marchant living in a boys home but my mouth was wide open while he was talking about his parents. Unreal what he went through. Thoroughly enjoyed this one.

#4 2018-09-05 09:56:21 - To The Top Talk 9/4/18- Marchant Kenney

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

I recall him being one of the guys holding up some of those newly planted hedges in Athens after we beat UGA. I was at the gold medal game for soccer like 4 weeks before returning to Athens for the Southern Miss game. They literally just replanted those famous hedges before we took a few with us........

uga_vs_usm_1996.jpg

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#5 2018-09-05 10:16:23 - To The Top Talk 9/4/18- Marchant Kenney

AndreWhere (1252)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

I recall him being one of the guys holding up some of those newly planted hedges in Athens after we beat UGA. I was at the gold medal game for soccer like 4 weeks before returning to Athens for the Southern Miss game. They literally just replanted those famous hedges before we took a few with us........

uga_vs_usm_1996.jpg

I was looking for that picture. I thought it was in the 1997 yearbook (the one with Seymour running back the interception is) but I couldn't find it. Could be in "Rock Solid" maybe?

#6 2018-09-05 10:30:54 - To The Top Talk 9/4/18- Marchant Kenney

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

I found it on google images.......

Just listened to the interview.....great stuff!

Love what Marchant said about picking USM. He had offers from Southern Miss and Texas Tech. He said if you didn't get an offer from the SEC you go to Southern Miss......

He said the hardest he cried was after that 95 Bama game (Surtain getting turned around, I almost threw up in the stands) and he cried after the 95 ECU game because it kept us out of the Liberty Bowl with that fake field goal attempt.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Liked by:

#7 2018-09-05 15:37:19 - To The Top Talk 9/4/18- Marchant Kenney

skyvoyager (177)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

I found it on google images.......

Just listened to the interview.....great stuff!

Love what Marchant said about picking USM. He had offers from Southern Miss and Texas Tech. He said if you didn't get an offer from the SEC you go to Southern Miss......

He said the hardest he cried was after that 95 Bama game (Surtain getting turned around, I almost threw up in the stands) and he cried after the 95 ECU game because it kept us out of the Liberty Bowl with that fake field goal attempt.

good stuff indeed

painful memories.... funny how 1 game here or there in the bower era would have made a HUGE difference.
ECU loss on a fake field goal, kicks us out of a bowl
loss to Houston kicks us out of a bowl ( we lost that game something like 56-49 with that defense )
bama game, lose on a 4th and 22 pass
bad losses to louisville, memphis, tulane costed us 2,3 more conference championships

Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

#8 2018-09-05 16:42:32 - To The Top Talk 9/4/18- Marchant Kenney

AndreWhere (1252)

That 1995 ECU game was the first USM football game I attended in person.

That team lost a bunch of close games. They were 10 total points away from going 10-1.

#9 2018-09-07 09:29:14 - To The Top Talk 9/4/18- Marchant Kenney

SoMs Eagle (189)

AndreWhere wrote:

That team lost a bunch of close games. They were 10 total points away from going 10-1.

That ECU loss was ALL on bower. I remember us calling a time out to ice a kicker who even John Cox knew had never made a field goal over 30 yards in his career. They go to the sidelines and have time to cook up a last chance fake and what do we do....TTT.

#10 2018-09-07 09:36:23 - To The Top Talk 9/4/18- Marchant Kenney

skyvoyager (177)

SoMs Eagle wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

That ECU loss was ALL on bower. I remember us calling a time out to ice a kicker who even John Cox knew had never made a field goal over 30 yards in his career. They go to the sidelines and have time to cook up a last chance fake and what do we do....TTT.

like in 82 when we lost to florida state at home.... fsu lines up for a field goal, we are yelling watch the fake, watch the fake
and we did.... we watched the fake.... touchdown florida state

Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

#11 2018-09-07 10:07:02 - To The Top Talk 9/4/18- Marchant Kenney

AndreWhere (1252)

skyvoyager wrote:
SoMs Eagle wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

like in 82 when we lost to florida state at home.... fsu lines up for a field goal, we are yelling watch the fake, watch the fake
and we did.... we watched the fake.... touchdown florida state

Reminds me of some shit my dad used to say about "Weight Watchers."

Board footer