CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#21 2018-10-18 10:27:44 - Bower or LFed....

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Re: Bower or LFed....

AndreWhere wrote:
Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

Why is losing to a 3 win Tulane team better than losing a dominant UNT team? Because UNT isn't a traditional 1A program? Ok.....

That's a big part of it. Also, a defense we thought was pretty damn good gave up 30 points.

It's also a bit depressing that we have to play at places like that so much now, and how poor the crowds are. TV is gone. The overall profile of the program and its ability to serve as an ambassador for USM have been greatly eroded. You make a good case, but sports bars aren't firing up the Rokus on Saturday, and that means we're pretty much screwed in terms of perception.

Did we give up 30 points, sure. We had the best conf qb in check for 3 qtrs until we simply ran out of gas late in the 4th. We essentially gave up 3 TD's and 170 yards in the last 15:30 of the game including the garbage TD on the last play of the game for UNT with 30 seconds left.
Not sure how a fairly new stadium in TX is more depressing than 10K in an empty Superdome for a game against Tulane in the 90's. Been to plenty of those and always laughed at how terrible it was because it represented nothing similar to college football.
Almost none of our games back in early Bower days were on TV unless you did pay per view for the Bama game. For the most part you had to go or rely on the radio. Maybe thats not a bad thing.......

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#22 2018-10-18 10:58:31 - Bower or LFed....

skyvoyager (177)

AndreWhere wrote:

Why is losing to a 3 win Tulane team better than losing a dominant UNT team? Because UNT isn't a traditional 1A program? Ok.....

That's a big part of it. Also, a defense we thought was pretty damn good gave up 30 points.

It's also a bit depressing that we have to play at places like that so much now, and how poor the crowds are. TV is gone. The overall profile of the program and its ability to serve as an ambassador for USM have been greatly eroded. You make a good case, but sports bars aren't firing up the Rokus on Saturday, and that means we're pretty much screwed in terms of perception.

Almost none of our games back in early Bower days were on TV unless you did pay per view for the Bama game. For the most part you had to go or rely on the radio. Maybe thats not a bad thing.......

Not much tv in those days but 1 of the first big tv games was against Pitt at home on thursday night....TTT loss.

Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

#23 2018-10-18 11:57:39 - Bower or LFed....

skyvoyager wrote:

Not much tv in those days but 1 of the first big tv games was against Pitt at home on thursday night....TTT loss.

I remember Dr Punch who was the sideline guy for ESPN back in the day talking about how they had to bring in lights in order for the game to be on TV. I also remember that we finally decided to invest in some spray paint and do something in those endzones prior to the Pitt game. With a few rare exceptions that game is one of many that define how Southern Miss simply can never handle success.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#24 2018-10-18 13:18:59 - Bower or LFed....

skyvoyager (177)

skyvoyager wrote:

I remember Dr Punch who was the sideline guy for ESPN back in the day talking about how they had to bring in lights in order for the game to be on TV. I also remember that we finally decided to invest in some spray paint and do something in those endzones prior to the Pitt game. With a few rare exceptions that game is one of many that define how Southern Miss simply can never handle success.

Yep espn had to bring in lights...mclellan ( i believe ) had the west upper deck closed off so the east side would fill up and make the stadium look full on tv as the espn cameras were all on the west side.

I was at the game but taped it.  When I re-watched the game, I remember once when coming back from a break the espn announcer said that they were at a sold out stadium...LOL

It did look full on TV but i bet there were only 25/26 thousand there that night.

Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

#25 2018-10-18 14:01:41 - Bower or LFed....

Good read (talks about 93 Pitt game) and very relevant today.......

https://southernmiss.rivals.com/news/we … re-before-

#26 2018-10-18 14:21:51 - Bower or LFed....

skyvoyager (177)

Good read (talks about 93 Pitt game) and very relevant today.......

https://southernmiss.rivals.com/news/we … re-before-

good read but depressing..... that team had no business going 2-8-1

the pitt game was a bad omen for the whole season

#27 2018-10-18 16:21:03 - Bower or LFed....

AndreWhere (1252)

In hindsight, it was probably unwise getting too hyped up about a team that would start Tommy Waters at QB. I guess people were expecting improvement, or maybe sort of a "game manager."

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#28 2018-10-19 13:52:43 - Bower or LFed....

The Anti-Hop were at it again last night, crying over the missed hire of Blake Anderson with Arky St playing Ga State on ESPN last night. Anyone would have been better than EJ including Blake but do we believe he was a better hire than Monken when round 2 came around? No........
Blake has done ok in Jonesboro but hardly the world beater one would have hoped for in Hattiesburg. He has won 1 outright Belt title, tied for another, and finished 3rd and 4th in his other seasons and is already two losses into Belt play this season and eliminated from a title. He is 1-3 in bowls losing to Toledo, La Tech and MTSU in the post season. He is 0-7 against the P5. Keep in mind, he inherited a program in good shape from Freeze, Malzahn and Harsin. All of this and he is making $250K more than Hop.

#29 2018-10-19 15:16:07 - Bower or LFed....

skyvoyager (177)

The Anti-Hop were at it again last night, crying over the missed hire of Blake Anderson with Arky St playing Ga State on ESPN last night. Anyone would have been better than EJ including Blake but do we believe he was a better hire than Monken when round 2 came around? No........

round 2? no but he certainly had a better chance to keep it going instead of the dumpster fire known as pappy buttermilk e12loss

#30 2018-10-19 16:26:43 - Bower or LFed....

tg300 (439)

Blake has done ok in Jonesboro but hardly the world beater one would have hoped for in Hattiesburg. He has won 1 outright Belt title, tied for another, and finished 3rd and 4th in his other seasons and is already two losses into Belt play this season and eliminated from a title. He is 1-3 in bowls losing to Toledo, La Tech and MTSU in the post season. He is 0-7 against the P5. Keep in mind, he inherited a program in good shape from Freeze, Malzahn and Harsin. All of this and he is making $250K more than Hop.

I am both anti hop and anti blake.

He would have been better than EJ by a long shot.

Monken was the right choice that time around.

Martha shit the bed.

#31 2018-10-19 19:18:28 - Bower or LFed....

USMstang (303)

I want to know who told that stupid cunt to hire EJ.  People try to pin that shit on Hammond but I know a QB wouldn't do that stupid shit.  Besides, all those MFers were completely under the spell of Gianinni so we know he had a major influence.  I wish someone had the balls enough to step up and say, "I was wrong, I really thought that imposter could do the job".

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

#32 2018-10-20 10:19:43 - Bower or LFed....

99beers (303)

USMstang wrote:

Let me clarify why Son of Dixie used "the only stat that mattered".  It's not so much when, why, where, or how any of it happened but that other people noticed it as well as our own fans.  Sure we had folks showing up to games but we weren't selling the place out either and it's because Bower was not winning the so called big games.  SoD noticed a very easy and simple to predict pattern among our fair-weather fans...if we win the early season game, the stadium is packed until we lose and then it starts dwindling down, especially when mediocrity is on display.  Open at Bama and lose, the place will be less than half-full for the beatdown against SELA.

And its true whether we like it or not...we only beat the shitty $ec teams during his long "legendary" tenure.  SoD didn't stop tracking "the only stat that matters" when JB left either.  He tracked it until he succumbed to Golden Eagle apathy upon the debacles of Martha/RG/Fedora choosing Hawaii/EJ/no-balls-Bennett/Hammond short contract/etc.

Actually I was the one that compiled bowers stats against p5 opponents.  Sod just ran with it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

Liked by:

#33 2018-10-20 10:24:46 - Bower or LFed....

99beers (303)

Btw, bower was okay.  Monken was okay.  Lfed was okay.   Hopson is a fucking idiot.

#34 2018-10-20 13:56:28 - Bower or LFed....

Welcome back, beers!

#35 2018-10-20 15:13:53 - Bower or LFed....

99beers (303)

Scout board was boring.  Good info but lame.

#36 2018-10-22 06:43:15 - Bower or LFed....

USMstang (303)

99beers wrote:

Apparently the Lanny board died so it's getting folks from over there.  Glyn and Drew do a good job with scouting info for sure.  What's funny tho is that the usual percentage of homers is down on Hop as well.  Losing to shit teams brings out the best in everyone!   lol

#37 2018-10-22 20:15:41 - Bower or LFed....

AndreWhere (1252)

USMstang wrote:
99beers wrote:

Apparently the Lanny board died so it's getting folks from over there.

Is that a technical thing, or did people just stop posting there?

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#38 2018-10-22 21:10:21 - Bower or LFed....

USMstang (303)

AndreWhere wrote:
USMstang wrote:
99beers wrote:

Apparently the Lanny board died so it's getting folks from over there.

Is that a technical thing, or did people just stop posting there?

I left there years ago so "technically" it was dead to me then.  Based on comments I've seen on the Scout board by folks who recently joined, they lament that it's gone to the shitter with some new non-USM (which means non-tater totten homer) dude running the show.  I take that to mean that they've stopped posting there. 

Them's some quick learners there.

Board footer