CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-13 10:46:00 - Big Changes to Ford and Possibly the Mustang

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Big Changes to Ford and Possibly the Mustang

I owned a 35th anniversary Mustang back in 1999. It was a cool car but overall was a piece of junk. Only lasted about 60K miles before I had to move on from it. Ford is ending production on most of its car lineup next year including the Focus, Taurus, and Fiesta. The Fusion will be around for a short time but will end at some point as well. Mustang is the lone car survivor long term. Lots of speculation that Ford will build a 4 door Mustang to compete with Audi, Lexus, etc.... Not sure if a longer base would suit the look of the Mustang but if you throw a V8 in it I'm sure it will get people behind the wheel......

ford-mustang-4door-newlead-1541533216.jpg

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#2 2018-11-13 19:03:01 - Big Changes to Ford and Possibly the Mustang

AndreWhere (1252)

Re: Big Changes to Ford and Possibly the Mustang

They've been toying with the idea of a 4-door Mustang since day one. I say make it, but call it something else (Falcon?) and leave off the horse badges.

Then again, most people are probably just going for the Mustang name and have no idea what's under the skin... so maybe not.

I've had an '85 4 cylinder, a '95 5.0, an '00 with a 6 cylinder that I bought new for my wife, and an '01 GT that was my dragstrip toy.

I have a pretty high opinion of the '99+ models. They're not trying to look retro. They're tough; 90+ passes in the quarter mile with a best ET of 13.990 (100% stock) and I never broke anything other than the gas pedal.

Cons: shitty leather upholstery and way too much chassis / body slop.

I won't miss other Ford cars much. As far as FWD sedans go, GM always seemed to do a better job than Ford. Some of those 3800 Buick-powered cars will just hang around forever.

Last edited by AndreWhere (2018-11-13 19:03:59)

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#3 2018-11-13 21:07:18 - Big Changes to Ford and Possibly the Mustang

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

I imagine the GT was a great toy to drive. Friend of mine had a 2000 GT. His was red but looked more orange to me. Wife and I bought one of the last Taurus SHO cars before they stopped production on it back in the late 90s. That was a fun car to drive back in the day. It reminded me of my dads company car back in the late 80’s. Pontiac Bonneville SSE. That was quick for a 4 door.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#4 2018-11-15 21:03:19 - Big Changes to Ford and Possibly the Mustang

USMstang (303)

I am categorically against a fuckin 4-door Stang!  Leave the sedan to Lincoln.  I have an '04 GT that runs like a raped ape still with nearly 150K miles on it.  I've done the correct mods to it like the Eibach Pro Street suspension with sway bars that bring it down from factory 4WD level by nearly 1 1/2", 315/35s out back with 275/45s up front, some bolt-ons, and a few other tweaks.  It still dominates the Stoplight Grand Prix as a weekender now.  I still need to install the headers & stage 1 cams that I've had in my damn garage for more than 2 years.  Hopefully very soon now that it's cool again and I have a new workshop behind my business.

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

#5 2018-11-15 21:15:53 - Big Changes to Ford and Possibly the Mustang

AndreWhere (1252)

USMstang wrote:

I am categorically against a fuckin 4-door Stang!  Leave the sedan to Lincoln.

I tend to agree. 4-door Wranglers still piss me off. The fact that sell well only pisses me off more.

USMstang wrote:

I have an '04 GT that runs like a raped ape still with nearly 150K miles on it.  I've done the correct mods to it like the Eibach Pro Street suspension with sway bars that bring it down from factory 4WD level by nearly 1 1/2", 315/35s out back with 275/45s up front, some bolt-ons, and a few other tweaks.

Have you shored up the unibody with subframe connectors or something? I've been out of the Mustang game for a while now, but I suspect some body bracing would be a good idea if that's your setup.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

Board footer