CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-14 11:41:06 - To The Top Talk - UAB Recap and La Tech Preview

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

To The Top Talk - UAB Recap and La Tech Preview

Good listen regarding a range of topics including not kicking at the end of regulation, offensive play calling and the guys also discuss the decision by Dilbert to not play a 12th game.

Agree with their assessment of Tate. The kid is a fighter. Seven sacks and he just kept fighting. One would think Jack gets the ball if healthy against La Tech but are we about to lose a redshirt on Tate or does the Cuban Cannon become the backup for the remainder of this season? Tate has officially played in 4 games after last weekend.

One point that is a valid one regarding the decision to not play a 12th game. Lets say Southern Miss wins out and sits at 6-5. If they are selected for a bowl its going to be New Mexico or New Orleans, both played on 12/15. Do you give these kids a few weeks off at the end of the season before a bowl or do you just keep playing with one week off between the 12th game and a bowl game? Flip side is that if you lose 1 of the final 2 then it doesn't matter since you are then eliminated from a bowl game.

http://www.jamiearrington.net/tothetoptalk/

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Liked by:

#2 2018-11-14 11:56:18 - To The Top Talk - UAB Recap and La Tech Preview

tg300 (439)

Re: To The Top Talk - UAB Recap and La Tech Preview

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

Good listen regarding a range of topics including not kicking at the end of regulation, offensive play calling and the guys also discuss the decision by Dilbert to not play a 12th game.

Agree with their assessment of Tate. The kid is a fighter. Seven sacks and he just kept fighting. One would think Jack gets the ball if healthy against La Tech but are we about to lose a redshirt on Tate or does the Cuban Cannon become the backup for the remainder of this season? Tate has officially played in 4 games after last weekend.

One point that is a valid one regarding the decision to not play a 12th game. Lets say Southern Miss wins out and sits at 6-5. If they are selected for a bowl its going to be New Mexico or New Orleans, both played on 12/15. Do you give these kids a few weeks off at the end of the season before a bowl or do you just keep playing with one week off between the 12th game and a bowl game? Flip side is that if you lose 1 of the final 2 then it doesn't matter since you are then eliminated from a bowl game.

http://www.jamiearrington.net/tothetoptalk/

First, not scheduling it drastically cuts down your chances of becoming bowl eligible.

Second, extra practices for bowls are where teams improve exponentially for the next year.

No bogus ass logic will negate those two.

I don't care what they say, there is no excuse.

Poor leadership and poor followers if they carry water for this goofball.

#3 2018-11-14 12:30:30 - To The Top Talk - UAB Recap and La Tech Preview

Black Diamond Reb (418)

If selected.

The flip side is if.

We've all heard this album.

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#4 2018-11-14 12:53:21 - To The Top Talk - UAB Recap and La Tech Preview

AndreWhere (1252)

Some interesting stuff:

Gilbert didn't want to schedule a 12th game until the Eagles were mathematically eliminated from the C-USA "conference" championship race. (Oh, who gives a flip...)

Tate Whatley could still redshirt if Abraham comes back.

Cancel your beIN / Sling subscription. (Thanks for the reminder. That had definitely slipped my mind.)

The team (and staff) just don't have a "knack for winning close games." A comparison to the 2014 team is made and how it turned the corner the next year.

Hopson will probably always suck at things like timeouts and clock management.

Darius Mayberry looks like a real RB but Dawson just didn't stick with him.

Jamie and Jason want to see Abraham come back and play against his old team and preserve Whatley's redshirt.

Basketball team plays @Troy tomorrow night and you can watch it on ESPN+.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#5 2018-11-14 17:09:03 - To The Top Talk - UAB Recap and La Tech Preview

TheChosenOne (295)

Hearing Daws_n will not be renewed for 2019. Ain’t making no promises but came from solid birdie

Hopson has shown promise and then does something absolutely stupid negating the good. Cutting Daws_n will show some promise. If (yea i already know, BDR) Hopson doesn’t cut Daws_n, well, just dammit.....

Liked by:

#6 2018-11-14 17:20:24 - To The Top Talk - UAB Recap and La Tech Preview

AndreWhere (1252)

TheChosenOne wrote:

Hearing Daws_n will not be renewed for 2019. Ain’t making no promises but came from solid birdie

Good info.

My take: Dawson's OK but he's definitely not killing it. He seems to run a pretty by-the-book Air Raid scheme.

I'm starting to wonder if the sun is setting on that Air Raid shit. A good OC would be searching for the next big wave and trying to get in front of it, not running the same old Hal Mumme mesh pass and the same old Hal Mumme tunnel screen.

Dawson's a big believer in "execution" and sometimes that's a cop out. Scheme matters, and creativity matters.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#7 2018-11-14 17:45:50 - To The Top Talk - UAB Recap and La Tech Preview

I imagine him not returning is more financial in nature and not performance based knowing this athletic department. Since terms on his current salary and contract have never been disclosed it’s not hard to connect the dots. Hop needs to lock up these recruits because Dawson will end up at another G5 program 5 minutes after leaving and will be calling these recruits immediately. We need to find some cash and do one hellva sales job on a good OC at those coaching conventions because the talent is there for someone to take this gig and find another job in 3 years at a P5 school at triple the salary if he delivers......

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#8 2018-11-14 17:55:11 - To The Top Talk - UAB Recap and La Tech Preview

admin (289)
Administrator

I imagine him not returning is more financial in nature and not performance based knowing this athletic department. Since terms on his current salary and contract have never been disclosed it’s not hard to connect the dots. Hop needs to lock up these recruits because Dawson will end up at another G5 program 5 minutes after leaving and will be calling these recruits immediately. We need to find some cash and do one hellva sales job on a good OC at those coaching conventions because the talent is there for someone to take this gig and find another job in 3 years at a P5 school at triple the salary if he delivers......

I put in a public records request after his contract expired and was told by a USM attorney that he didn't have a new contract yet. Since then, Hop go a raise and a bit more money to throw at assistants... enough money to get Dawson close to what the Kentucky severance was paying him if nobody else got a raise (which I doubt).

I can put in another inquiry if people care, but I suspect that he's only making marginally more than Billings is. The question is, who would pay him more? What's his resume? He flopped at Kentucky and then did kind of OK at USM?

#9 2018-11-14 18:00:12 - To The Top Talk - UAB Recap and La Tech Preview

AndreWhere wrote:
TheChosenOne wrote:

Good info.

My take: Dawson's OK but he's definitely not killing it. He seems to run a pretty by-the-book Air Raid scheme.

I'm starting to wonder if the sun is setting on that Air Raid shit. A good OC would be searching for the next big wave and trying to get in front of it, not running the same old Hal Mumme mesh pass and the same old Hal Mumme tunnel screen.

Dawson's a big believer in "execution" and sometimes that's a cop out. Scheme matters, and creativity matters.

Hire someone on the OC staff at Houston, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St or Texas Tech. Just make sure they bring their playbook.....

#10 2018-11-15 07:35:46 - To The Top Talk - UAB Recap and La Tech Preview

tg300 (439)

admin wrote:

I put in a public records request after his contract expired and was told by a USM attorney that he didn't have a new contract yet. Since then, Hop go a raise and a bit more money to throw at assistants... enough money to get Dawson close to what the Kentucky severance was paying him if nobody else got a raise (which I doubt).

I can put in another inquiry if people care, but I suspect that he's only making marginally more than Billings is. The question is, who would pay him more? What's his resume? He flopped at Kentucky and then did kind of OK at USM?

This is my question.  If there were a program out there that desired him, he would be there.

Kind of like all the Bower rumors.

All hat, no cattle.

#11 2018-11-15 10:16:30 - To The Top Talk - UAB Recap and La Tech Preview

Ace Barker (260)
Website

tg300 wrote:
admin wrote:

He is retired and plans to stay that way no matter how much you may like him to return.

Ace...

#12 2018-11-15 10:26:44 - To The Top Talk - UAB Recap and La Tech Preview

skyvoyager (177)

Ace Barker wrote:
tg300 wrote:
admin wrote:

He is retired and plans to stay that way no matter how much you may like him to return.

Ace...

darn

Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

#13 2018-11-15 12:09:43 - To The Top Talk - UAB Recap and La Tech Preview

tg300 (439)

Ace Barker wrote:
tg300 wrote:
admin wrote:

Ace...

Return?  Funny

I was talking about all the rumors about him leaving for greener pastures while the program was sliding downhill here.

Board footer