CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-14 18:35:49 - My stereo setup

AndreWhere (1252)

My stereo setup

I've never been into the surround sound thing, with all those little speakers everywhere. I like a stereo setup, ideally with a subwoofer.

This is my equipment at the moment:

Insignia 200W amp (Sherwood clone; https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-2 … d=4156007)

Cerwin-Vega bookshelf speakers (http://www.cerwinvega.com/home-audio/bo … sl-5m.html).

Dayton Audio DS-1200 12" subwoofer (https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-au … r--300-629).

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#2 2018-11-14 19:50:40 - My stereo setup

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Re: My stereo setup

So do you run audio files from a PC through your receiver using a hdmi converter? I have been using a 12 year old Sony receiver with equally old Bose cubes but I am thinking of ditching a receiver all together when I upgrade my equipment.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#3 2018-11-14 19:58:45 - My stereo setup

Just read the specs........Bluetooth.....

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#4 2018-11-15 17:15:45 - My stereo setup

AndreWhere (1252)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

Yeah, I mostly use Bluetooth to play music from my phone. I also have a Nakamichi DR-3 cassette deck which connects via RCA connectors. I use a long 3.5mm cable to connect my laptop.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#5 2018-11-19 09:12:49 - My stereo setup

I purchased the Sonos Sub yesterday since it was an early access Black Friday item at Best Buy. Literally you have to wait until Black Friday each year if you ever want to get anything Sonos at a reduced price......similar to Apple products.

I am going to setup a 3.1 configuration in our family room. I will hide the sub in our entertainment cabinet and have the Sonos Beam serving as the soundbar. I started “collecting” Sonos components 3 years ago this month and I am finally adding the sub. Will be curious to see how it compares to the much older Bose Acoustimass setup I have for my main movie experience.

7B42DBA6-03C4-4FA9-A576-53915AE7D329.jpeg

#6 2018-11-24 07:54:21 - My stereo setup

Sub arrived on Tuesday afternoon. Installed it in the family room on Wednesday. We have what I estimate is a 400 lb armoire that my wife bought in the mid 90’s and she refuses to part with. It limits the size of the tv you can utilize but does a good job hiding any equipment/components. Sonos markets the sub as one that doesn’t vibrate so my hope was to avoid that horrible rattle during any action movies or songs with heavy bass when hiding the sub inside the cabinet. Because the armoire is heavy you want to only move it once to pull through power cords and return it in place flush with the back wall. That mission failed since I could still hear a rattle when the volume was around 50%. I removed the sub from and placed it behind the cabinet since it is fairly narrow. That solved the issue.
The sub was definitely worth it. I have it working with the Sonos Beam sound bar and Apple TV. Movies are now legit in the family room. I also can easily pair it with a nearby Sonos Play 5 speaker in the same room dedicated to music since the sub can be moved to another speaker wirelessly thru the app and the sound has never been better. Worth the armoire hassle. It actually sounds better than my Bose system I have in our upstairs theater so that room will now get less use unless my daughter needs to watch her Disney or Nick jr shows because movies are only going to be played on the new setup until further notice........

3-1-entertainment-set-beam-black.png?sw=400&sh=400&sm=fit

Last edited by Nugget's Ghostbuster (2018-11-24 07:57:43)

#7 2018-11-29 14:22:11 - My stereo setup

AndreWhere wrote:
Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

Yeah, I mostly use Bluetooth to play music from my phone. I also have a Nakamichi DR-3 cassette deck which connects via RCA connectors. I use a long 3.5mm cable to connect my laptop.

I decided to rework my main system in our media room last night. I was running a 2006 Sony 100W 7.1 with only two HDMI pass through inputs. I have a 2006 Bose Acoustimass sub/speaker set config for movies. I would say over the past 4+ years two of the receiver speaker inputs have been creating a crackle sound that drives me up a wall when the volume is around 50%. Everything else is the media room is fairly current tech. I run TV(Hulu) through a 4th generation Apple TV and a Ultra 4K Blu Ray for my movie collection. I even sync the column lights and rear TV light strip to whatever lighting is coming off the tv. The sound is the last piece that needs attention.

I got a Sony 4K Receiver yesterday https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-725w- … Id=6187502. First difference....the weight. The 2006 receiver is probably 7-10 lbs heavier. The footprint of the new receiver is much smaller as well. Having the ability to run 4K HDR video through the receiver straight to your media device is awesome. Even the intuitive receiver sound setup through the tv is legit. Did the sound check and used the ending of Thor Ragnarok (scene with Immigrant Song by Zeppelin) to test. No more crackle. Nice using HDMI ARC to control TV and devices on one remote as well. Small investment seems to bring me up to present day quality. I will have to test the Bluetooth feature this weekend for music.

Board footer