CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-30 14:43:04 - Just Dumb

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Just Dumb

UAB just gave Bill Clark a ridiculous extension which defines whats wrong with college football. 5 year extension that starts at $1.45 million and goes up to $1.65 million in the final year. Is he a good coach? Maybe..... Lets see how he does when he doesn't have the benefits the NCAA cut their program to relaunch. You lost to a bad Coastal Carolina team by 3 touchdowns. You have lost both of your final games by a combined score of 68-23. You needed life support for your seniors to beat a freshman USM team in OT at home. You average, at best, 20K a game and that is being extremely generous.

You are the definition of overrated and paying a coach that kind of money when you have minimal success and no support shows that your student fees are going to fund this failure. Good luck with that move......

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#2 2018-11-30 15:47:47 - Just Dumb

AndreWhere (1252)

Re: Just Dumb

That's 4 or 5 times what USM is paying Scrappy. We are toast.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#3 2018-11-30 17:10:57 - Just Dumb

AndreWhere wrote:

We are toast.

Not really. You have to know who you are and be confident with that. Bower did more with less for most of his time at USM. He was paid below what others received that had far less success. Only time I can think he legitimately tried to leverage his deal was when he interviewed with Wyoming. Hop is comfortable with his salary. If he wins CUSA which he isn't far from doing he will be good with a 25% increase and extension.

When you set the bar so far up your arse like UAB is doing its absolutely dumb. Clarks name might come up in a few openings but it wouldn't take much for those trying to hire him to see UAB for what it has been the last few years. Take away all the benefits they have been given and put them on a level recruiting field and see how he does. Don't give him a half a million more per season at this point. Good lawd.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#4 2018-11-30 17:18:40 - Just Dumb

tg300 (439)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

We are toast.

Not really. You have to know who you are and be confident with that. Bower did more with less for most of his time at USM. He was paid below what others received that had far less success. Only time I can think he legitimately tried to leverage his deal was when he interviewed with Wyoming. Hop is comfortable with his salary. If he wins CUSA which he isn't far from doing he will be good with a 25% increase and extension.

When you set the bar so far up your arse like UAB is doing its absolutely dumb. Clarks name might come up in a few openings but it wouldn't take much for those trying to hire him to see UAB for what it has been the last few years. Take away all the benefits they have been given and put them on a level recruiting field and see how he does. Don't give him a half a million more per season at this point. Good lawd.

We do set the bar low.

That's one thing going for us.

#5 2018-11-30 17:32:54 - Just Dumb

AndreWhere (1252)

My angst over Hopson and his salary really doesn't have all that much to do with what other schools in "Conference" USA are paying. What really disappoints me is the way whatever ambition USM ever had has just evaporated since 2011.

Conference realignment just sucked the life out of USM. You're looking at a bunch of people who were told loudly and in no uncertain terms that they weren't good enough. When that happens, you can get mad and double down on becoming who you want to be, or you can get sad and spend the next seven years barely going through the motions. USM- as an institution and as a fandom- chose the second path, and it really pisses me off.

I think the football team will be relatively good over the next 2-3 years. But expect any good season to be marred by a head-scratching loss or two, because USM has that disease in its blood, and Jay Hopson is the last person on Earth who'll ever cure it. Instead, he'll get to 9 or 10 wins, maybe, and it will buy him another 5 or 10 years of quiet mediocrity.

Bower Jr. (with apologies to Jeff Bower- the original's always better).

#6 2018-11-30 17:35:31 - Just Dumb

Black Diamond Reb (418)

If he wins SUNWACUSA he will be good with a raise and extension.

DogPoop.jpg

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#7 2018-11-30 17:48:30 - Just Dumb

Ace Barker (260)
Website

AndreWhere wrote:

My angst over Hopson and his salary really doesn't have all that much to do with what other schools in "Conference" USA are paying. What really disappoints me is the way whatever ambition USM ever had has just evaporated since 2011.

Conference realignment just sucked the life out of USM. You're looking at a bunch of people who were told loudly and in no uncertain terms that they weren't good enough. When that happens, you can get mad and double down on becoming who you want to be, or you can get sad and spend the next seven years barely going through the motions. USM- as an institution and as a fandom- chose the second path, and it really pisses me off.

I think the football team will be relatively good over the next 2-3 years. But expect any good season to be marred by a head-scratching loss or two, because USM has that disease in its blood, and Jay Hopson is the last person on Earth who'll ever cure it. Instead, he'll get to 9 or 10 wins, maybe, and it will buy him another 5 or 10 years of quiet mediocrity.

Bower Jr. (with apologies to Jeff Bower- the original's always better).

It started for me in 2000.

Ace...

Liked by:

#8 2018-11-30 17:52:37 - Just Dumb

stinkfist (764)

tg300 wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

We are toast.

We do set the bar low.

Xi14.gif

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

#9 2018-11-30 18:09:02 - Just Dumb

B&GBU (259)

stinkfist wrote:
tg300 wrote:

We do set the bar low.

Slipped on dog crap I suppose.

Xi14.gif

"Did you ever consider that the next level would be a lower one?"

#10 2018-11-30 18:57:57 - Just Dumb

skyvoyager (177)

UAB just gave Bill Clark a ridiculous extension which defines whats wrong with college football. 5 year extension that starts at $1.45 million and goes up to $1.65 million in the final year. Is he a good coach? Maybe..... Lets see how he does when he doesn't have the benefits the NCAA cut their program to relaunch. You lost to a bad Coastal Carolina team by 3 touchdowns. You have lost both of your final games by a combined score of 68-23. You needed life support for your seniors to beat a freshman USM team in OT at home. You average, at best, 20K a game and that is being extremely generous.

You are the definition of overrated and paying a coach that kind of money when you have minimal success and no support shows that your student fees are going to fund this failure. Good luck with that move......

Uabeeee has ~35 seniors and ~25 juniors....
The party is over

Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

#11 2018-11-30 20:56:24 - Just Dumb

AndreWhere (1252)

Ace Barker wrote:

It started for me in 2000.

Ace...

That team could have competed for a national championship with a good QB.

(EDIT: or a better offensive line, or a healthy Derrick Nix)

Last edited by AndreWhere (2018-12-01 07:15:00)

#12 2018-11-30 21:03:46 - Just Dumb

Well Mike Houston just pulled the Lucy football move on Charlotte. Told them he wanted the job until two things happened....

1) Louisville started dancing with Scott Satterfield
2) ECU scrambled and fired Coach Mo

Now Houston is playing them against each other. Many believe he is getting App St to come up on their money so he can take that job since they are in good shape and it’s closer to his family......vs the total rebuild in Greenville.

#13 2018-11-30 21:25:14 - Just Dumb

AndreWhere (1252)

Well Mike Houston just pulled the Lucy football move on Charlotte. Told them he wanted the job until two things happened....

1) Louisville started dancing with Scott Satterfield
2) ECU scrambled and fired Coach Mo

Now Houston is playing them against each other. Many believe he is getting App St to come up on their money so he can take that job since they are in good shape and it’s closer to his family......vs the total rebuild in Greenville.

That's surprising but it also makes sense. Houston is too hot a commodity for UNCC.

Satterfield to Louisville seems like a bit of a stretch. He's never had much success outside of Appalachian State and comes off as kind of a hillbilly Hopson / Orgeron type in his press conferences. Maybe I'm just an elitist prick.

#14 2018-11-30 21:50:30 - Just Dumb

I think it’s why all of these bad coaches are being retained this offseason. Not many options out there. Usually you don’t see a Sun Belt coach go to a deep pocket ACC program. Hell even the Utah St coach went to Texas Tech. Someone like CBS graded out the coaches who took new gigs this past season. Only two graded well, Jimbo and Herm, most were terrible like Chip Kelly and Kevin Sumlin. Just not worth the big contract payouts for early termination.

Board footer