CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-28 12:00:55 - Just my opinion on this board

Ace Barker (260)
Website

Just my opinion on this board

This board is more sane than Eaglepost, Lanny's board or the Ga Tech Stagger boards combined. For a board that is wide open the posters are civil to one another and Oui were considered the bad people.

Ace...

#2 2018-11-28 16:09:29 - Just my opinion on this board

99beers (303)

Re: Just my opinion on this board

Yep. Its gotten rather boring eh.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

#3 2018-11-28 16:30:40 - Just my opinion on this board

AndreWhere (1252)

The CSNBBS board wasn't much fun after CUSA broke up. Nobody from USM wants to shoot marbles with a bunch of Sun Belt people. They're just in a completely different place from us.

Lanny is a certain kind of sports fan that I'm just not. He collects detail and lives for the day to day. He can tell you exactly how many career interceptions Perry Phenix had, and who the backup punters are, but he doesn't sweat things like realignment, budget or attendance too much. As long as there's a stadium or a practice to go to, he's happy.

Eaglepost, I liked a lot, even though no one ever bothered to approve my membership.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#4 2018-11-28 21:29:13 - Just my opinion on this board

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

RW34.gif

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#5 2018-11-29 05:22:48 - Just my opinion on this board

SoMs Eagle (189)

Ace Barker wrote:

This board is more sane than Eaglepost, Lanny's board or the Ga Tech Stagger boards combined. For a board that is wide open the posters are civil to one another and Oui were considered the bad people.

Ace...

Screw you, you moron....

#6 2018-11-29 07:28:02 - Just my opinion on this board

tg300 (439)

The Eaglepost Fb page has become populated with an inordinate amount of toppers, most of whom you can't even joke with.

Still have some fun poking the bear then watching the shit show.

#7 2018-11-29 08:23:49 - Just my opinion on this board

EagleFWB (176)

tg300 wrote:

The Eaglepost Fb page has become populated with an inordinate amount of toppers, most of whom you can't even joke with.

Had to leave that group... was driving me nuts!

#8 2018-11-29 08:38:43 - Just my opinion on this board

Ace Barker (260)
Website

EagleFWB wrote:
tg300 wrote:

Had to leave that group... was driving me nuts!

I made a female poster angry for not playing her game on how to improve the game day experience. I told her winning. She didn’t like the answer. She made a comment that I should not comment if that’s all I could write. She received the “You are not the boss of me”. She blocked me for life on Facebook forever. I am still crushed over it.

I dropped off shortly thereafter.

She is probably in the yoga class and signing up for the USM mom’s go camping with Jon.

Ace...

#9 2018-11-29 09:08:56 - Just my opinion on this board

Black Diamond Reb (418)

Some clinically certified Whackjobs on FB EP. Today's speakings are from the book of " Not a fan unless you give money" and I'm sure tomorrow will be " Everything is fine". It's practically the Koran of why USM is a struggling SUNWACUSA level program.

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#10 2018-11-29 09:47:30 - Just my opinion on this board

AndreWhere (1252)

Black Diamond Reb wrote:

Some clinically certified Whackjobs on FB EP. Today's speakings are from the book of " Not a fan unless you give money" and I'm sure tomorrow will be " Everything is fine". It's practically the Koran of why USM is a struggling SUNWACUSA level program.

I still laugh at "What USM needs is another Jeff Bowers." That's some signature-worthy material there.

Liked by:

#11 2018-11-29 10:43:49 - Just my opinion on this board

Black Diamond Reb wrote:

This issue starts at the top with Southern Miss. Listen to Jason Baileys interaction with Gilbert after the William Carey game on the latest TTT podcast. I believe the leaders don't want to even shake your hand unless you are on the latest list of EC donors. Just give and if you don't, just be quiet. You have no right to complain unless you are one of the 50 people in the stands last night at RGC. You can't discount those that have spent tens of thousands historically on this university and no longer want to just throw good money at a bad product without a measurable and communicated plan, especially when those in charge want to "lead from behind" and don't like to communicate. You are in the wrong job if you don't like to communicate, period. I would love those that love to point at your checkbook to tell me what the friggin plan is and when does it become urgent. Don't hand me a book that has soccer bench cushions for sale on page 56 for $2,000. I applaud your organizational skills but give me your 4 year plan since we are giving you $1.4 million and how you are going to measure it quarterly with the golden eagle nation.

I didn't realize my decades of financial support that started in the early 90's had an expiration date on it........

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#12 2018-12-01 08:43:04 - Just my opinion on this board

USMstang (303)

Nah, I donate and they don't give two shits what I think.  I had lunch with Gilbert and he was a condescending prick, more in how he looked at me than in what he said.  Honestly, he doesn't have much to say. I believe he is clueless and that's not just some "blue-collar" fan mentality.  Maybe they pay attention to the COC folks, I dunno.  I've spent a little time looking at some of the COC members to see how many are self-made and how many are trust fund babies.  It looks like we have too many trust-funders and those that are awarded a position on the Athletic Board of Directors due to corporate gifts (eg "my company gives $10K per year and they've chosen me for this position because I'm a non-boat rocking stooge). And many of the self-mades appear to be involved so they can pound their chests at the country club. 

I really think at this point that USM as a whole, not just our dumpster-fire athletic programs, are worse off than many understand.  We've been on cruise control To The Bottom for 3 decades.  I can't imagine it getting worse but I'm sure it will.  Not unlike the federal government being full of corrupt deep state shills, but we have no savior anywhere in sight in Mississippi to fight the Establishment.  Phil Bryant should go hide in shame for what has occurred at his alma mater.

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

#13 2018-12-01 08:51:46 - Just my opinion on this board

Ace Barker (260)
Website

USMstang wrote:

Nah, I donate and they don't give two shits what I think.  I had lunch with Gilbert and he was a condescending prick, more in how he looked at me than in what he said.  Honestly, he doesn't have much to say. I believe he is clueless and that's not just some "blue-collar" fan mentality.  Maybe they pay attention to the COC folks, I dunno.  I've spent a little time looking at some of the COC members to see how many are self-made and how many are trust fund babies.  It looks like we have too many trust-funders and those that are awarded a position on the Athletic Board of Directors due to corporate gifts (eg "my company gives $10K per year and they've chosen me for this position because I'm a non-boat rocking stooge). And many of the self-mades appear to be involved so they can pound their chests at the country club. 

I really think at this point that USM as a whole, not just our dumpster-fire athletic programs, are worse off than many understand.  We've been on cruise control To The Bottom for 3 decades.  I can't imagine it getting worse but I'm sure it will.  Not unlike the federal government being full of corrupt deep state shills, but we have no savior anywhere in sight in Mississippi to fight the Establishment.  Phil Bryant should go hide in shame for what has occurred at his alma mater.

I know a couple of “self mades” that have commented they don’t get a look. They have been in since the beginning so have already gr the $100K mark. Not sure if they renewed. One used to let USM folks use a property he had but has since stopped.

Ace...

Last edited by Ace Barker (2018-12-01 08:52:15)

#14 2018-12-01 09:47:20 - Just my opinion on this board

AndreWhere (1252)

USMstang wrote:

Watching USM since 2011 has been kind of like restoring an old car or house. You peel back another layer, you see exactly how bad the rot is.

I hope it's not as bad for the University as a whole as it is for sports, though. There have been some bad decisions for sure. Shelby Thames and Martha were both just awful.

Bennett hasn't self-destructed like those two but he's mediocre. Can't really articulate what USM wants to be or why, but he's done a few good things, like saving ROTC (I don't credit Hammond 100% for that, at all) and getting 2 real engineering programs.

From afar, it also seems like some of the chaos of Saunders / Thames in places like the business school has ratcheted down.

#15 2018-12-01 09:48:07 - Just my opinion on this board

EagleFWB (176)

Stang I think you're right about it being more than just athletic program. I'm going through a situation right now with my oldest daughter who's a senior in HS... I won't hijack this thread with details, but I've been very disappointed in the way the school is handling her musical recruitment.

I definitely see a similarity happening and it makes me wonder if it's University wide.

#16 2018-12-01 09:50:52 - Just my opinion on this board

admin (289)
Administrator

EagleFWB wrote:

I've been very disappointed in the way the school is handling her musical recruitment.

That was supposed to be something USM was good at sad

#17 2018-12-01 11:30:41 - Just my opinion on this board

We are our own worst enemy

#18 2018-12-01 12:38:25 - Just my opinion on this board

Black Diamond Reb (418)

EagleFWB wrote:

I've been very disappointed in the way the school is handling her musical recruitment.

Is she working on her campfire spirituals?

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#19 2018-12-01 16:45:51 - Just my opinion on this board

EagleFWB (176)

admin wrote:
EagleFWB wrote:

That was supposed to be something USM was good at sad

The short version is that last January she went to USM All South for concert bands. She was the first chair principal player for her instrument out of every one there. Yet as of right now we have not received any letters or recruitment etc. From USM...and she's already been accepted to the school. We get mail daily from schools all over the country.. Not USM..... And her mother was a member of the Pride.

That's the short version. Their lack of effort just really surprises me.

#20 2018-12-01 16:55:27 - Just my opinion on this board

Sorry to hear that, FWB. I would give the department a call and find out. Still time left to get her in front of other programs if USM is dropping the ball.

Board footer