CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#21 2018-12-06 19:32:09 - The Prez on AD search.

stinkfist (764)

Re: The Prez on AD search.

whoever we hire, he's gonna have his hands full - and he'll know it before he comes knockin'....

the question that should be asked is, if you were on the prowl for an open AD slot, would you consider Southern Miss as an option in today's market as it currently exists?

I would have a hard time answering yes to that one...

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

#22 2018-12-06 19:40:03 - The Prez on AD search.

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

It could be a she.......

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#23 2018-12-06 19:48:00 - The Prez on AD search.

stinkfist (764)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

It could be a she.......

or maybe an lmnop'r...

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

#24 2018-12-07 08:39:11 - The Prez on AD search.

skyvoyager (177)

99beers wrote:
skyvoyager wrote:
Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

Why does the AAC need to expand? They are in the final hour of finalizing their new media rights deal so why would they add another program that will take another percentage of the revenue pie?  The AAC has 8 of 12 full members in the top 50 Neilsen markets, Navy is also in the Top 50, and all are in the top 100. We are 160+. They are currently receiving 2 million per school per year with their expiring deal. Market size is no longer the primary factor but it is still a factor with their media rights holders.

UCF and The American are in a good spot, as they can negotiate their TV deal with their stock rising, where the SEC, Big Ten, ACC, Pac-12 and Big 12 have to wait another four years before they go back to the media rights negotiating table. Nobody, I mean nobody, knows how we will all consume sports content 5 years from today so this AAC media deal will be the last of its kind if they go forward with ESPN. They have zero need to add another program right now. Paying them 10 million in cash won't open the door either since thats small potatoes based on where they are expected to go to 4-5 million per school per year with their new tv deal.

but the aac is dead.... i know i read it on this board.

no asshole. You read dead end.

yep dead end.....over 2 million a year tv deal instead of $200,000, games on tv instead of internet streaming, bowl games
instead of staying home, games against ucf instead of florida international airport

Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

#25 2018-12-07 11:35:55 - The Prez on AD search.

The primary pitfall we must avoid with our next hire is bringing in a Southern Miss guy or a P5 lower management suit from another Athletic Department. They only have a myopic or limited view based on the old, traditional way of approaching college athletics. This type of hire will only satisfy the dying legacy base at Southern Miss. That group is only interested in trying to recreate the past which is extremely short sighted. We should never use or refer to the AAC as our goal or measuring stick. USM needs to be a new standard bearer for tomorrows game which is evolving and unique to anything else we see today, especially inside the state of Mississippi. I want us to look beyond Tulsa, Temple and ECU regardless of where we sit today.

The next AD needs to come from the private business sector, preferably someone with background in raising VC funding. USM Athletics needs to be viewed and treated as a start up concept with previous brand recognition to leverage. The new AD needs to represent the investors(state corporations, donors) as well as the student athletes and active alumni. He needs to monitor the progress of this "company" they have invested in, thus ensuring the sustainability and growth of their investment.

Our AD MUST HAVE a pre-designed exit strategy that enables investors to reap benefits so they can, in turn, re-invest in the growth of other aspects of USM, within 5 years. This AD needs to be in the position of AD no longer than 5 years because if this AD is successful, the business landscape will have changed once again between now and 2023 and you want to insert another experienced corporate business type AD to bring new insight and direction based on the new trends in business and sports.

This hire is about tomorrows game, experience, students and sports content evolution, not about those in the 40+ age demographic that feel abandoned by bad decisions of past administrations. Boycotting games, withholding financial support and abandoning message boards after a loss isn't part of our solution, period. This type of donor isn't our future target audience. They can either adopt a new approach and be part of the solution or just continue to stay away. This AD can shake their hand at games but if its about leveraging a relationship or funds in order to get your way it isn't how our new AD will operate. Plenty of corporate money inside Mississippi we haven't approached and need to tap into in order to grow.

As much as we are justified with our criticism of CUSA, I will tell you this is the same change they are starting to implement. The new CUSA HQ was recently built to accommodate the league's new direction, including a stepped-up focus on all things digital. Even small changes like our new basketball conference schedule is outside the box in order to improve the number of teams that can qualify for post season bids. Those current corporations that control media coverage and bowl sponsorships are not interested in conferences or schools in the G5. We are forced to pursue a different approach because we don't have a choice. Tier 2 companies like Globe Life want to invest in us because Tier 1 companies like Liberty Mutual are spending where the biggest exposure exists(P5). We need to find more tier 2 investors to help us accomplish our goals and grow. They exist, and all have spending budgets within our conference footprint.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Liked by:

#26 2018-12-07 11:44:16 - The Prez on AD search.

Fighting eagle (114)

Liberty just hired Hugh Freeze to go along with the ex Baylor AD that was involved in all of that sex misconduct stuff. And we play them in 2 years.

#27 2018-12-07 11:56:34 - The Prez on AD search.

Fighting eagle wrote:

Liberty just hired Hugh Freeze to go along with the ex Baylor AD that was involved in all of that sex misconduct stuff. And we play them in 2 years.

Freeze did several speaking engagements at Liberty both pre and post scandal. The Bible teaches us to forgive those that have sinned so if anyone can play that card at his opening presser I think it’s Liberty. Glad to see a past alum land on his feet after that long fall from grace.....

#28 2018-12-07 12:49:58 - The Prez on AD search.

TheDudeAbides (59)

AndreWhere wrote:

GREAT letter, but...

Why would he go to places like Birmingham and Houston but not New Orleans? What on Earth does he think he'll find in Houston?

And I'm afraid Stinkfist is likely right. There was a path forward for USM. It was called the AAC, and the opening was something like 5 or 6 years ago. "We" decided we'd rather keep shooting marbles with the kiddos because growing up is scary.

That said, there is a blueprint written into the history books. Ditch your faux conference that's really a zero exit fee / zero revenue scheduling alliance. Play 7 road games per year, as many of them @ P5 schools as possible. And get a coach who can win enough of those games to rebuild USM's legacy and fan base.

Absolutely nothing short of that will accomplish anything worthwhile. And my blueprint probably won't work, either. Too many people want us to sit still at the kiddy table.

Here’s what he will be looking for in Houston. Alums in the oil and gas industry that have gone radio silent since Hammond stopped coming over. Go where the money is.

#29 2018-12-07 15:36:56 - The Prez on AD search.

Mao Tse-gore (412)

AndreWhere wrote:

There was a path forward for USM. It was called the AAC, and the opening was something like 5 or 6 years ago. "We" decided we'd rather keep shooting marbles with the kiddos because growing up is scary.

Would love to know the truth. What I recall was that only large population centers/TV markets were sought.

We still suck bigtime.
There's a big difference between optimism and an altered state of reality.
Not another dime, not another mile, not another minute.
MSFlag.gif

#30 2018-12-07 16:43:11 - The Prez on AD search.

AndreWhere (1252)

Mao Tse-gore wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

There was a path forward for USM. It was called the AAC, and the opening was something like 5 or 6 years ago. "We" decided we'd rather keep shooting marbles with the kiddos because growing up is scary.

Would love to know the truth. What I recall was that only large population centers/TV markets were sought.

There are many gradations to the truth between "they didn't want us" and "we didn't want them." A real athletic conference has things like exit fees and revenue sharing. It's a business contract to be negotiated. All we know is that the AAC and USM never signed one.

We can speculate about how and why. But there was never any hope of USM sports remaining what they were in 2011-2012 after USM got left behind in CUSA. I said it then, and over time others have come to realize it.

The other thing that should be obvious in retrospect is the importance of investing in your coaches. On 12/1/2011, USM's head coaches were Larry Fedora and Larry Eustachy. A year later, they were Donnie Tyndall and you-know-who, and suddenly no one wanted to touch USM with a 10' pole.

Not exactly pouring a strong foundation there, poor-mouthing be damned.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#31 2018-12-07 18:07:39 - The Prez on AD search.

B&GBU (259)

Mao Tse-gore wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

Ockham's razor.

"Did you ever consider that the next level would be a lower one?"

#32 2018-12-07 18:14:26 - The Prez on AD search.

AndreWhere (1252)

B&GBU wrote:
Mao Tse-gore wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

Ockham's razor.

They kicked the poorest school out of their peer group? I can buy that. That's a pretty simple explanation.

#33 2018-12-07 20:25:46 - The Prez on AD search.

TheChosenOne (295)

Interim AD, Jeff Mitchell, has spoken

Golden Eagle Fans,

My family and I are thrilled to be home in the great state of Mississippi! The Southern Miss community has warmly welcomed us, and we are excited to contribute to the University and to Hattiesburg.

Today, the University celebrated Fall commencement. Over the course of two ceremonies, twenty-one student-athletes received their degrees while five enjoyed their walk across the stage after completing their course work last semester. As a reminder, we are in the education business, and all of our new graduates exemplify the spirit of Southern Miss. We are proud, indeed!

I look forward to working with you to establish a way forward for Southern Miss athletics. We have a significant opportunity to clearly define who we are as a department and to prepare and execute a roadmap for future success.  Our student-athletes and staff ask for your unwavering support during this time of introspection and opportunity.  Throughout, we will be diligent in our efforts to educate our student-athletes, to enhance the competitiveness of our sports programs, and to engage our community. We are in this together!

As we create a better Southern Miss athletics department, I have provided our staff with four expectations by which to abide, and I ask that you honor them, too.

-       Be positive.  (This is a behavior we can control.)
-       Communicate.  (It is remarkable what we can accomplish when we talk to each other.)
-       Help each other.  (There is strength in numbers.)
-       Possess a growth mindset.  (We will be open to change and development).

We cannot become a better version of Southern Miss athletics without our fans.  Here are several ways you can support us:

-       Wear the Black and Gold with pride.
-       Support our 360 student-athletes by attending our athletics events.
-       Buy season tickets to our events and encourage your friends/neighbors to join you;
-       Become a member of the Eagle Club; and
-       Speak optimistically about this great university - we have a very bright future.

We have a men’s and women’s basketball doubleheader on Tuesday, December 11, and a marquee women’s basketball game next Friday, December 14, against Mississippi State. I look forward to seeing at Reed Green Coliseum!

To The Top,

Jeff Mitchell
Interim Director of Athletics

#34 2018-12-07 21:52:21 - The Prez on AD search.

99beers (303)

Fuck thAt bla bla shit. Do something.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

Liked by:

#35 2018-12-07 22:34:43 - The Prez on AD search.

99beers wrote:

Fuck thAt bla bla shit. Do something.

Come on......you already violated like three of his requests outlined in paragraph number 4........and probably some of paragraph 5..........

#36 2018-12-07 22:44:06 - The Prez on AD search.

99beers (303)

Introspection? Opportunity?  Road map?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

#37 2018-12-08 08:02:10 - The Prez on AD search.

AndreWhere (1252)

They need one of those maps that shows you where the pirates his their treasure.

#38 2018-12-08 10:48:39 - The Prez on AD search.

TheChosenOne (295)

He’d do better following the Presidents message. Put some fire in the belly comments. This crap is just the traditional B.S.   would rather read ‘shits bout to get real up in here. Either jump on or get the hell out the way. Train is bout to pull out’.

#39 2018-12-08 12:27:10 - The Prez on AD search.

B&GBU (259)

Self absorption in their little encounter group, along with elements of condescension, sanctimony, trite paperback management jargon and myopia - Gilbert, Jr.

"Did you ever consider that the next level would be a lower one?"

#40 2018-12-08 13:28:32 - The Prez on AD search.

AndreWhere (1252)

B&GBU wrote:

Self absorption in their little encounter group, along with elements of condescension, sanctimony, trite paperback management jargon and myopia - Gilbert, Jr.

All the things that drove me away... I'd probably still be running if it weren't for front license plate requirements and gun restrictions.

Board footer