CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#61 2019-02-06 11:05:58 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

stinkfist (764)

Re: Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

Black Diamond Reb wrote:

Question 5 for the long suffering: Did you really think this would play out in any way other than classic TTT ?

those dayum kickoffs are never going to find the EZ ever again ....

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

#62 2019-02-06 11:06:15 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

SoMs Eagle (189)

stinkfist wrote:
Mao Tse-gore wrote:

Snivelling PC cowards....TTFTMF!

on the bright side, SoMsEagle can now save his money, J-Lo is engaged, and we will continue to sift through the dumpster looking for more TTT...

Thanks for pointing out the bright side. I needed that.....

#63 2019-02-06 11:08:00 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

Lloydlake (139)

Demolish the upper decks.
Apply for SWAC membership.

Liked by:

#64 2019-02-06 11:13:17 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Everyone Relax......give it a few more days and we will be fine. Homecoming 2019 is right around the corner....

70245726173Homecoming.png

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#65 2019-02-06 11:14:08 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

stinkfist (764)

SoMs Eagle wrote:
stinkfist wrote:
Mao Tse-gore wrote:

Snivelling PC cowards....TTFTMF!

on the bright side, SoMsEagle can now save his money, J-Lo is engaged, and we will continue to sift through the dumpster looking for more TTT...

Thanks for pointing out the bright side. I needed that.....

we both did bubby...

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

#66 2019-02-06 11:15:47 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

SoMs Eagle (189)

Hop is gone at the first lateral offer. We won’t be able to hire a high school coach after this as long as Bennett is here. Total disaster.

Someone who does that sort of thing needs to start a #fireRodneyBennett site.

Liked by:

#67 2019-02-06 11:22:35 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

Trump fan (14)

Bennett hasn’t done shit,,,, academics are down, he took the flag downC and he’s not fore the rape oc

#68 2019-02-06 12:08:10 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

TheChosenOne (295)

Will it do any good? Probably not, at least got it off my chest.

Date: February 6, 2019 at 11:54:43 AM CST
To: jeff.mitchell@usm.com
Cc: randy.applewhite@usm.com, rodney.bennett@usm.com
Subject: State of The Union - Football Addition

Jeff,
At the conclusion of the 2018 football season I had decided to not renew my eagle club membership until Coach Dawson exited the program. Upon his release the decision was still open however, enjoying our fall Saturday’s at the Rock,  we were heavily considering renewing. Recent events surrounding Art Briles instantly gave me the belief it is a new day at Southern Miss. The university and athletic department decided to take football serious again. Waiting for the official word I was ready to lock in seats and considering increasing my donation to recognize the university’s renewed commitment to football.

For whatever reason our university President decided, once again, to deplete any hope in revitalizing our football team. What was thought to be a new day at Southern Miss turned into same ole nothing. The use of strong wording will not do any good at this point. But the university did make a irreversible error in judgement in its decision.

Jeff, I wish you well and good luck in your new position, rather it be temporary or permanent. But this fiasco will cost the university greatly. Apparently ‘paying fans’ opinion and voices are not heard nor welcome. How you over come this I have no clue. I will reframe from further comment relating to my future as a paid supporter until emotions have settled.

Good luck,

#69 2019-02-06 12:41:36 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

Hop is going to leave USM soon. No way to reconcile this cluster based on how this played out in the media. Public opinion is now on Lamonts side if it’s true Hop didn’t consult with his leaders. You can’t play the, “let him hire who he wants” card with Art Briles, sorry, you just can’t without bringing in Lamont first. Will you be at The Rock if Fedora is back? I can’t think of any other way to pull this program out of the fire right now outside of Fedoras return.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#70 2019-02-06 12:46:32 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

EagleFWB (176)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

Hop is going to leave USM soon. No way to reconcile this cluster based on how this played out in the media. Public opinion is now on Lamonts side if it’s true Hop didn’t consult with his leaders. You can’t play the, “let him hire who he wants” card with Art Briles, sorry, you just can’t without bringing in Lamont first. Will you be at The Rock if Fedora is back? I can’t think of any other way to pull this program out of the fire right now outside of Fedoras return.

Monkens return!  but yeah, Fedora would be great. I do agree that Hop's days are probably numbered. Probably get this next season and not much else...If that.

#71 2019-02-06 13:09:05 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

Well written response, ChosenOne. What we have going on today is a million moving parts in the middle of a signing day. This is almost like CNN and MSNBC running with a story and a headline before its fully baked. We need to collectively let the dust settle and have Bennett, as the President, fully explain to the alumni base what is going on once today, and perhaps a few more, have passed.

I am guilty of jumping to internet conclusions but want to be fair to all parties involved. If the SBNation article is accurate that Hopson did not consult with university leadership prior to bringing in Briles then Hopson should be terminated with cause. Regardless of what his contract states regarding authority on hiring, you simply can't play that card with Art Briles. I would expect Hopsons contract to have language that protects the university from actions that negatively impact the university and this would fall under that umbrella for termination. Putting out a public statement against your leadership didn't help Hopson today, either, but he knew that before he hit "send".
One can easily connect the dots that todays public disagreements stem from something greater than this moment with Art Briles, IMO, between Hopson and Bennett. This doesn't happen the way it happened if there wasn't something more going on prior to this potential hire. Hopson will not make it to the spring game. Its just not possible to let this continue for another season based on the actions of this week.

The bridge between USM and Bower has also suffered some significant damage as well. It appears Bower helped in some capacity with bringing Briles into the fold. Debbie Bower was very vocal with her public support for hiring Art. I imagine Jeff will be stepping aside as well once the predicted fallout hits Hopson directly.

I can only see a move that brings back Fedora as the only alumni adhesive at this point, today, if Hopson is terminated. One would imagine that Bennett is contacting him prior to any termination, to gauge his interest in returning to Hattiesburg. He is available, and I don't believe salary will be an issue, especially considering his exit compensation from Chapel Hill.

ChosenOne, would that make you reconsider a return to The Rock if that happens?

Liked by:

#72 2019-02-06 13:10:19 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

Mao Tse-gore (412)

But, King Flamingo gave Gilbert, Jr.  "the keys to the car", what rock is he hiding under.

We still suck bigtime.
There's a big difference between optimism and an altered state of reality.
Not another dime, not another mile, not another minute.
MSFlag.gif

#73 2019-02-06 13:19:58 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

TheChosenOne (295)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

Well written response, ChosenOne. What we have going on today is a million moving parts in the middle of a signing day. This is almost like CNN and MSNBC running with a story and a headline before its fully baked. We need to collectively let the dust settle and have Bennett, as the President, fully explain to the alumni base what is going on once today, and perhaps a few more, have passed.

I am guilty of jumping to internet conclusions but want to be fair to all parties involved. If the SBNation article is accurate that Hopson did not consult with university leadership prior to bringing in Briles then Hopson should be terminated with cause. Regardless of what his contract states regarding authority on hiring, you simply can't play that card with Art Briles. I would expect Hopsons contract to have language that protects the university from actions that negatively impact the university and this would fall under that umbrella for termination. Putting out a public statement against your leadership didn't help Hopson today, either, but he knew that before he hit "send".
One can easily connect the dots that todays public disagreements stem from something greater than this moment with Art Briles, IMO, between Hopson and Bennett. This doesn't happen the way it happened if there wasn't something more going on prior to this potential hire. Hopson will not make it to the spring game. Its just not possible to let this continue for another season based on the actions of this week.

The bridge between USM and Bower has also suffered some significant damage as well. It appears Bower helped in some capacity with bringing Briles into the fold. Debbie Bower was very vocal with her public support for hiring Art. I imagine Jeff will be stepping aside as well once the predicted fallout hits Hopson directly.

I can only see a move that brings back Fedora as the only alumni adhesive at this point, today, if Hopson is terminated. One would imagine that Bennett is contacting him prior to any termination, to gauge his interest in returning to Hattiesburg. He is available, and I don't believe salary will be an issue, especially considering his exit compensation from Chapel Hill.

ChosenOne, would that make you reconsider a return to The Rock if that happens?

Excellent comment. Regardless The Who or the why this has been a major cluster fudge. Regardless how he came to campus this could have been a home-run hire.

Will admit Hopson should vet Briles through the AD and Prez before stepping foot on campus. In favor or not everyone should be on same page realizing the PR this could bring, and did.

How this plays out in terms of donations and attendance can’t be seen until the fall. For me, I just want to see the university make an effort to win. If they’re not going to take it serious I question why should you or I.

#74 2019-02-06 13:57:10 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

Mao Tse-gore (412)

IMHO:

Even if Hop was out of order, Bennett, in his panicked and vindictive squashing of the idea, alone forged it into the constitutional crisis and embarassment it has become.

A prudent thoughtful leader would have had the foresight to sit everyone down and form a more diplomatic message that would not have reflected so poorly on the University, and dealt with any procedural corrections behind the scenes.

This debacle exists purely because of the poor judgement Bennett exhibited in his selfish reaction, not Hop's initiative, and he should answer for it.

We still suck bigtime.
There's a big difference between optimism and an altered state of reality.
Not another dime, not another mile, not another minute.
MSFlag.gif

Liked by:

#75 2019-02-06 14:02:18 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

SoMs Eagle (189)

The Hat laughs in our face.
Hopson leaves for a million dollar P5 DC job.
Bennett hires another El12.
The stands are empty....again.
All of Hops good recruits leave.
We suck forever.
We get replaced in CUSA by South Alabama.
Bennett is high on happy.

The wrong guy is getting the ax.

#76 2019-02-06 15:11:39 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

AndreWhere (1252)

Just read Hopson's statement- what a wackjob!

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#77 2019-02-06 15:12:58 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

Mao Tse-gore wrote:

IMHO:

Even if Hop was out of order, Bennett, in his panicked and vindictive squashing of the idea, alone forged it into the constitutional crisis and embarassment it has become.

A prudent thoughtful leader would have had the foresight to sit everyone down and form a more diplomatic message that would not have reflected so poorly on the University, and dealt with any procedural corrections behind the scenes.

This debacle exists purely because of the poor judgement Bennett exhibited in his selfish reaction, not Hop's initiative, and he should answer for it.

Agree 1000% Bennett has culpability in this situation. He is the leader and his brief, calculated response left one side of the story intentionally untold and gave himself zero accountability for everything that happened on the campus he Presides over. There was zero coverage offered to Hopson or USM Athletics in Bennetts statement.....zero.

That said he now operates on the "right side" in the arena of public opinion, which politicians relish. I have seen nothing but admiration for Bennett from every single news media outlet, locally and nationally, on this story. On the flip side Hopson is on the island of misfit toys right now, right, wrong or indifferent. Bennett will not take any blame for his decision outside of the small faction of those historically entangled at USM that are "in the know" on his lack of support for USM athletics. Even a name like Bower is utterly useless when trying to influence Bennetts next move. Even car dealers won't defend Hopson because you can't just do that publicly and expect to win anyones opinion.

So what does Bennett do with his new found savior image of the #metoo movement? He is clearly still jaded by Jon Gilberts departure so his ego just got a much needed refueling by this pissing match in the media.

#78 2019-02-06 17:17:23 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

tg300 (439)

Have heard that Bennett was out of the loop before Briles was brought to campus.

No fucking way that is true.

He's a spineless twit that ebbs and flows with the PC bullshit of the current day.

Fuck him.

I have never been a Hop fan as a head coach.

There is huge room for improvement there.

I do respect him for not swallowing this PC turd sandwich and being quiet.

Kudos sir.

#79 2019-02-06 17:25:41 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

TheChosenOne (295)

If Bennett did not have gave knowledge can’t imagine Hopson or other coaches being pissed.  Can’t see reason Briles spent three days in the burg. 

Unless Hopson just went absolute roug something isn’t adding up.

#80 2019-02-06 17:41:32 - Art Briles set to become our new offensive coordinator

99beers (303)

Shut up with the stupid fedora shit please.  We can’t pay him nor staff members he would request.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Georgia Tech SwagFag can eat zombie feces...loser. #PoundSand

Board footer