CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-11 10:55:09 - Now Watch the "Journalists" Hide....

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Now Watch the "Journalists" Hide....

First, Paddy McGeek needs to apologize. He won't and will hide behind other reporters work and just claim that he was, "reporting" what others were saying. He didn't seek facts before either sharing anothers story or confirm any answers before publishing what was clearly a lie. He is the Southern Miss beat reporter and should have used better judgement instead of caving to outside competition.

Nicole Auerbach- The Athletic. She led the witch hunt with her published article of facts that Hop was unilaterally bringing in Briles and athletes with rape accusations. Her boss/colleague, Stewart Mandel, and other writers for The Athletic, supported her lies and trashed a good mans name. Will she retract her statements? Probably not, because they can continue to hide behind unnamed sources.....

Steve Godrey and Richard Johnson- SB Nation - Published the story about Hop not seeking approval from the administration which further fueled other journalists to trash USM and Jay Hopson. Lets see if they change their tune or hide behind unnamed sources.

Lets watch now that Bennett has finally issued a statement that contradicts all of these clowns and see how they scramble to save face.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Liked by:

#2 2019-02-11 11:53:42 - Now Watch the "Journalists" Hide....

B&GBU (259)

Re: Now Watch the "Journalists" Hide....

“Coach Hopson assured me of his commitment to overseeing a program that upholds the values of The University of Southern Mississippi,” the statement reads. “I know Coach Hopson to be a man of high ethics and integrity, and I assured him of the University’s dedication to continuing a winning tradition.”

“Our conversation included many topics, including the events of the past week,” Bennett said. “As a matter of practice, Coach Hopson seeks approval from and works in good faith with athletic administration on prospective student athletes who have special or unique circumstances for admission to the University, which is consistent with University protocol in student-athlete recruitment. Additionally, Coach Hopson notified the University of his desire to meet with Art Briles, which is his right to do so as a head football coach and is in line with normal University processes. After an intentional and thorough review of Mr. Briles, candidacy, I expressed my reservations, and ultimately that review led to the decision that Mr. Briles was not a viable candidate.”

The scrutiny should be on Bennett not Hopson, and I'm not sure that behind the scenes it isn't.
mini_hat.jpg

Last edited by B&GBU (2019-02-11 14:16:13)

"Did you ever consider that the next level would be a lower one?"

#3 2019-02-11 11:54:26 - Now Watch the "Journalists" Hide....

AndreWhere (1252)

Bennett's statement to the Sun Herald:

https://www.sunherald.com/sports/colleg … 86515.html

In summary: Hop asked to interview Briles. Hop interviewed Briles. I decided we shouldn't hire him.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

Liked by:

#4 2019-02-11 12:04:26 - Now Watch the "Journalists" Hide....

AndreWhere (1252)

If you think Briles should never be allowed to coach college ball again, then you should be happy with the result, right?

If you think he shouldn't ever be allowed to interview with anyone, well, that's just weird. Seems to me the process worked as intended.

Only people not happy are USM fans who wanted Briles as OC. It would be cruel to be mad at them, though.

#5 2019-02-11 12:04:49 - Now Watch the "Journalists" Hide....

Fighting eagle (114)

I and one other here told you this. Why would you believe the reports in these rags instead of the 2 people here who actually know people within the athlwtic department?

#6 2019-02-11 12:09:25 - Now Watch the "Journalists" Hide....

Fighting eagle (114)

AndreWhere wrote:

If you think Briles should never be allowed to coach college ball again, then you should be happy with the result, right?

If you think he shouldn't ever be allowed to interview with anyone, well, that's just weird. Seems to me the process worked as intended.

Only people not happy are USM fans who wanted Briles as OC. It would be cruel to be mad at them, though.

You seem to enjoy inflaming every thing here. You have a vivid imagination. But never very accurate with your posts.

#7 2019-02-11 12:15:25 - Now Watch the "Journalists" Hide....

Ace Barker (260)
Website

My issue with Bennett is he has no integrity. To say he had no knowledge and put his head coach through this nonsense was wrong. He should have said in his comments last week that we interviewed him and did not approve, not I didn't know about it. That's my issue on this whole deal. I do not think the process worked and not because Briles wasn't hired. Bennett got a lot of personal earfuls last week.

That guy on the coast may as well work for SB Nation. I don't read anything he writes including this article. I still get my USM sporting news through Tim Doherty.

Ace...

#8 2019-02-11 12:17:56 - Now Watch the "Journalists" Hide....

AndreWhere (1252)

Fighting eagle wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

You seem to enjoy inflaming every thing here. You have a vivid imagination. But never very accurate with your posts.

What am I so wrong about? If Bennett was ever OK with the hire, he heard enough to change his mind. He has that right.

Am I supposed to be super pissed that we don't get Briles? I'm just not. It seems like a lazy way to get a good OC. "Oh, we can get this guy cheap because he's widely hated."

Is it fair to Briles? I don't think so. But USM doesn't exist in a vacuum.

#9 2019-02-11 12:19:26 - Now Watch the "Journalists" Hide....

Fighting eagle wrote:

I and one other here told you this

I can't figure out who the other one is........

I have it narrowed down to the guy that owes someone a Belgian pilsner named after the Christmas star or the other guy that is still waiting for online cable access

Wait a second.......do you have cable access?

200.gif?cid=3640f6095c548fe56d4b397836913f53

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#10 2019-02-11 12:20:14 - Now Watch the "Journalists" Hide....

Fighting eagle (114)

Bennet never said he did nit know. That was written but not true. Is it really that  hard to imagine the media reporting false information ? I will stick to listening to the people who  the athletic department for my information and all of you can read the papers.

#11 2019-02-11 12:23:33 - Now Watch the "Journalists" Hide....

Ace Barker wrote:

I still get my USM sporting news through Tim Doherty.

Ace...

Funny enough Tim beat Patty Melt to the Bennett statement even though it was released through the Sun Herald.

Can we just ask USM to just run it through Tim and Rick going forward. Paddy gets handed way too many things without doing any work IMO.

#12 2019-02-11 12:31:17 - Now Watch the "Journalists" Hide....

For everyone condemning Bennett, I get it. But answer this.......name one President outside of the University of Houston that actually has done a solid for their athletic program. You never hear the following words spoken in college athletics...."The University President is awesome when it comes to our football success."......Its always the opposite of that and Bennett is no exception.

This is why you have an AD. We don't have one right now so Bennett is getting the press. If we had one, the AD would have released the statement on Briles, not the President. Now Bennett's name would have been in the statement because he wants the love, but the message would have come from the AD.

Where was Mitchell one should ask? Well he was busy giving softball updates all weekend. Pass.......

#13 2019-02-11 12:36:27 - Now Watch the "Journalists" Hide....

Fighting eagle (114)

Mitchell is the interim. Some people think he will be the AD which is laughable if you knew Bennett
The same people thought that Jeff Hammond would be the AD.

#14 2019-02-11 12:40:09 - Now Watch the "Journalists" Hide....

Fighting eagle (114)

Everything runs through Bennett during the interim.  Mitchell is just there to release information. He has absolutely no power to do much if anything.

#15 2019-02-11 12:45:53 - Now Watch the "Journalists" Hide....

AndreWhere (1252)

Fighting eagle wrote:

Bennet never said he did nit know. That was written but not true. Is it really that  hard to imagine the media reporting false information ? I will stick to listening to the people who  the athletic department for my information and all of you can read the papers.

Bennett did sit on the truth too long and it doesn't reflect well on him.

#16 2019-02-11 12:45:58 - Now Watch the "Journalists" Hide....

Fighting eagle wrote:

He has absolutely no power to do much if anything.

042117_ross_donuts_med_w79p8f0q.gif

#17 2019-02-11 12:53:21 - Now Watch the "Journalists" Hide....

Fighting eagle (114)

Bennett heard all of the weekend rumors. He made a statement this morning as soon as he got to his desk this Monday morning. This is what I was referring to about your postings. You enjoy inflaming every situation out of proportion.

#18 2019-02-11 13:34:36 - Now Watch the "Journalists" Hide....

Ace Barker (260)
Website

Fighting eagle wrote:

I and one other here told you this. Why would you believe the reports in these rags instead of the 2 people here who actually know people within the athlwtic department?

I doubt it is me. Anything I have posted on this particular subject came from a former coach. I typically don't post anything I hear from him but in this case I did. I wasn't the only one but that was on another forum. I didn't glean anything out of the paper.  It doesn't matter as it appears things are blown over and everyone is happy. Life and USM move on to the next hurdle. I plan to go back to posting as little as possible.

Ace...

Last edited by Ace Barker (2019-02-11 13:35:55)

#19 2019-02-11 14:14:55 - Now Watch the "Journalists" Hide....

AndreWhere (1252)

Fighting eagle wrote:

Bennett heard all of the weekend rumors. He made a statement this morning as soon as he got to his desk this Monday morning. This is what I was referring to about your postings. You enjoy inflaming every situation out of proportion.

Pfft yeah, clearly USM athletics are in good hands. I'll shut up and let you and your buddies do your job unmolested.

Moron.

#20 2019-02-11 14:26:39 - Now Watch the "Journalists" Hide....

He is still deflecting......and he even deleted this tweet right after he posted it. I guess he is waiting for SB Nation to post an apology so he can just copy and paste it as his own......

Dufus.png

Board footer