CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-19 14:48:37 - One Billion Dollars......

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

One Billion Dollars......

I actually spoke with the Associate CUSA Commissioner about this last Thursday and I told him it was predicted to be around $7 million a year per school....he didn’t think it was going to be that rich.....guess he was wrong.

FF5F9795-B08F-441C-B00C-61924819E8DB.jpeg

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#2 2019-03-19 14:59:44 - One Billion Dollars......

Bleacher Eagle (44)

Re: One Billion Dollars......

That's a great deal right now, but 12 years is a long time especially considering how rapidly television/streaming options are changing. That seems like a bit of gamble by both the AAC & ESPN.

12 years prior to today, the iPhone hadn't even been released.

#3 2019-03-19 15:13:17 - One Billion Dollars......

I predict conference realignment will kill that deal before new Tech is created. I believe Bama will become an independent within 5 years and have a media rights deal that will eclipse that entire AAC contract. Ohio St will follow Bama’s lead.

Last edited by Nugget's Ghostbuster (2019-03-19 15:14:06)

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#4 2019-03-19 15:27:35 - One Billion Dollars......

AndreWhere (1252)

Wow. How's that CUSA plan working out now? Still monitoring the sitchee-ation?

Last edited by AndreWhere (2019-03-19 15:28:13)

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#5 2019-03-19 17:40:11 - One Billion Dollars......

Black Diamond Reb (418)

Bleacher Eagle wrote:

12 years prior to today, SUNWACUSA was never going to come to fruition at Southern Miss.

saundersdepo.jpg

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#6 2019-03-19 21:31:33 - One Billion Dollars......

AndreWhere (1252)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

I actually spoke with the Associate CUSA Commissioner about this last Thursday and I told him it was predicted to be around $7 million a year per school....he didn’t think it was going to be that rich.....guess he was wrong.

FF5F9795-B08F-441C-B00C-61924819E8DB.jpeg

tenor.gif

#7 2019-03-20 06:11:06 - One Billion Dollars......

Mao Tse-gore (412)

I actually spoke with the Associate CUSA Commissioner about this last Thursday and I told him it was predicted to be around $7 million a year per school....he didn’t think it was going to be that rich.....guess he was wrong

Judy, Jr.

We still suck bigtime.
There's a big difference between optimism and an altered state of reality.
Not another dime, not another mile, not another minute.
MSFlag.gif

#8 2019-03-20 13:31:21 - One Billion Dollars......

Mao Tse-gore (412)

We still suck bigtime.
MSFlag.gif

Liked by:

#9 2019-03-21 07:27:44 - One Billion Dollars......

SoMs Eagle (189)

Shudder the place and move on.
OK, who were we gonna be fans of now? Old Miss? Miss Stake? Corndog U? East Carolina? Make your pick boys and girls....

#10 2019-03-21 08:11:16 - One Billion Dollars......

AndreWhere (1252)

SoMs Eagle wrote:

Shudder the place and move on.
OK, who were we gonna be fans of now? Old Miss? Miss Stake? Corndog U? East Carolina? Make your pick boys and girls....

I just hope for good things at USM even though athletics have become a joke. D-III would suit us better now. The CUSA thing is played out. It was a nice little vehicle for Louisville, TCU, etc. but the grown up table is full now, and the local yokels' gonads didn't drop in time to get a chair.

#11 2019-03-21 08:13:57 - One Billion Dollars......

If you knew nothing else was going to change in CUSA over the next 24 months and the Sunbelt opened the door today, would you walk through it?

#12 2019-03-21 08:49:55 - One Billion Dollars......

AndreWhere (1252)

If you knew nothing else was going to change in CUSA over the next 24 months and the Sunbelt opened the door today, would you walk through it?

No. Same basic kind of conference. I don't buy the "natural rivals" crap. Nobody's getting out of bed to watch USM vs. any Giannini clown college.

#13 2019-03-21 09:06:00 - One Billion Dollars......

AndreWhere wrote:

No. Same basic kind of conference. I don't buy the "natural rivals" crap. Nobody's getting out of bed to watch USM vs. any Giannini clown college.

The regional play puts more money back in our pockets since the media payout is even. You have one platform for all sports vs divided between CBS, Stadium and Facebook. Going to the Belt means two teams will have to leave CUSA, us and probably another regional player like La Tech. Baseball doesn't take a hit if you trade out Rice with Coastal Carolina.

Who knows, they are almost identical but change can be a good thing.......

#14 2019-03-21 09:22:06 - One Billion Dollars......

AndreWhere (1252)

AndreWhere wrote:

The regional play puts more money back in our pockets since the media payout is even. You have one platform for all sports vs divided between CBS, Stadium and Facebook. Going to the Belt means two teams will have to leave CUSA, us and probably another regional player like La Tech. Baseball doesn't take a hit if you trade out Rice with Coastal Carolina.

Who knows, they are almost identical but change can be a good thing.......

The media thing is interesting. I cannot fathom why I have to oscillate between Facebook, ESPN+, CUSA.tv, Stadium, and who knows what else to watch USM. I'm paying $4.99 per month to this guy, $7.99 to that guy... WTF man? I'd probably pay $50 for something comprehensive and reliable. If the Sun Belt has that problem figured out, it just goes to show you that someone like Karl Benson really can make a difference vs. any old warm body.

In order of preference:

1. Independence
2t. Any other G4 conference
2t. Drop the D-1 charade and go to D-II, III, or NAIA
2t. Drop sports
5. More CUSA

#15 2019-03-21 10:04:56 - One Billion Dollars......

Mao Tse-gore (412)

"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean...". We slip into a pink tutu.

We still suck bigtime.
MSFlag.gif

#16 2019-03-21 10:17:42 - One Billion Dollars......

CUSA's only remaining play is to merge with the Sun Belt. Instead we sit around waiting for someone else to make the first move so we can react vs being proactive. I found it interesting after talking to CUSA that Frisco is in the lead to serve as the new HQ for the AAC next year. Had no idea they were moving from Rhode Island. CUSA/Judy will now have a daily reminder in her backyard of how far behind she is and I expect her slot with shiny new Frisco venues for tournaments will now be pushed behind the AAC when it comes to availability. Heck, Frisco announced yesterday that The Star is now hosting the championship for the Alliance Football league. Took it away from Vegas at the last minute. Frisco isn't going to give Judy the time of day once the AAC moves in.....

The MWC negotiating window for their new media rights deal begins next month. CBS has the first rights to negotiate. Schools are currently getting $1.1 million per year. They are concerned that what happened to CUSA will happen to them(Going from $1.1 million to $200K). They also know that they may end up going heavy digital just like CUSA. Bottom line, they don't know what to expect starting in April when they can begin negotiating.

MWC was heavy on taking Rice and UTEP two years ago in order to expand their footprint. Rice because of its overall academic reputation and UTEP because they keep calling the MWC every year to see if they will take them. In fact, the MWC released a statement in 2016 saying that the MWC conference school leaders met and it was agreed no expansion modifications were necessary at the present time. Well, now might be the time when media rights are on the table. Someone at USM historically has looked at the travel cost in the MWC vs what we are paying today. I can't imagine the travel cost is so dramatic that we wouldn't consider the MWC if the opportunity was presented.

We just need to do something because time is of the essence....

#17 2019-03-21 10:28:38 - One Billion Dollars......

Black Diamond Reb (418)

CUSA's only remaining play is to merge with the Sun Belt.

Again? Where do you think SUNWACUSA came from? You think anyone who isn't already following this garbage is going to gravitate to SUNWACUSA Jr. ?

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

Liked by:

#18 2019-03-21 10:32:11 - One Billion Dollars......

Black Diamond Reb wrote:

You think anyone who isn't already following this garbage is going to gravitate to SUNWACUSA Jr. ?

You could add the Southland Conference in the mix. Also based in Frisco next to Judy and that might get you another spot in March Madness without POD Play........

#19 2019-03-21 18:02:50 - One Billion Dollars......

AndreWhere (1252)

Rice because of its overall academic reputation and UTEP because they keep calling the MWC every year to see if they will take them.

Shoot, UTEP sounds just as smart as Rice in that narrative.

Someone at USM historically has looked at the travel cost in the MWC vs what we are paying today. I can't imagine the travel cost is so dramatic that we wouldn't consider the MWC if the opportunity was presented.

USM has just never performed well out in that part of the country, at least not in football. I'm thinking of games at Cal, Boise State, and even that Hawaii Bowl in 2011. It's tough to go halfway across the country and beat someone's ass when you've historically gone places like Tuscaloosa, Birmingham, and New Orleans for road games. Different style of play, different climate... a different country, in a lot of ways.

I always fall back on the DNA metaphor. What's USM's DNA? Independent. Underdog. Road warrior. USM quickly became the opposite of all of that when CUSA was created, and it's been extremely detrimental.

#20 2019-03-21 19:24:06 - One Billion Dollars......

I hear you. Just wanting a change. The risk is so minimal at this point I just want someone to do something.....Independence, a better regional play, MWC.......just do something already.

Liked by:

Board footer