CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-27 18:32:29 - Artificial turf at Pete Taylor Park?

AndreWhere (1252)

Artificial turf at Pete Taylor Park?

Saw someone on Facebook claiming this is happening, at a cost of $1,200,000. Anyone know if there's any truth to this?

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#2 2019-03-27 19:06:02 - Artificial turf at Pete Taylor Park?

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Re: Artificial turf at Pete Taylor Park?

Saw that as well. Once it’s paid for it will be less cost to maintain for the maintenance crew. I hate fake turf in baseball. I get the decision because we are poor and the cost for a new drainage system is too expensive when you factor in future maintenance costs compared to ground up rubber....

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#3 2019-03-27 19:13:00 - Artificial turf at Pete Taylor Park?

stinkfist (764)

AT is bullshite with the bat and the ball....

why not turf the ranch....oh yeah, they shut that down...

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

#4 2019-03-27 19:19:16 - Artificial turf at Pete Taylor Park?

AndreWhere (1252)

Turf is more economical over time, but the up-front cost just makes me shake my head.

Surely there's a plan gathering dust somewhere to finish the chairback seating at Reed Green. I still think that would cost a fraction of what this new turf is costing. If donors are willing to earmark money for baseball but not for Reed Green, these donors should get, at a minimum, an earnest talking to. There's a level of donor influence that's not compatible with success.

$1.2 million would also go a long way to getting some better football coaches on staff, or retaining the ones already on staff if they actually do perform.

#5 2019-03-27 19:27:39 - Artificial turf at Pete Taylor Park?

stinkfist (764)

AndreWhere wrote:

Turf is more economical over time, but the up-front cost just makes me shake my head.

Surely there's a plan gathering dust somewhere to finish the chairback seating at Reed Green. I still think that would cost a fraction of what this new turf is costing. If donors are willing to earmark money for baseball but not for Reed Green, these donors should get, at a minimum, an earnest talking to. There's a level of donor influence that's not compatible with success.

$1.2 million would also go a long way to getting some better football coaches on staff, or retaining the ones already on staff if they actually do perform.

https://csnbbs.com/thread-873664.html

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

#6 2019-03-27 19:36:38 - Artificial turf at Pete Taylor Park?

AndreWhere (1252)

stinkfist wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

https://csnbbs.com/thread-873664.html

So there's a vote in less than a month that would establish a city tax that would throw some money at RGC. What are the odds this passes? Has getting the boot from the old Metro club finally gotten the message across? I wouldn't think so, but we'll see soon enough.

And I'm not sold on the $25,000,000 job. Just fix the glaring weaknesses (I keep mentioning one) and then take the rest and fix some glaring weaknesses relevant to other sports.

#7 2019-03-27 20:07:55 - Artificial turf at Pete Taylor Park?

If the tax bill doesn’t pass, nothing will change for the next 10 years. Interesting interview this morning on 680 in Atlanta with Jay Bilas. They asked him why a school like Virginia Tech is successful in the ACC but not Georgia Tech located in a talent rich state like Georgia in basketball. His first answer was that GT is poor....which is correct. They are operating in a deficit right now with paying out former coaches. The second point Bilas made was Russell Athletic. He said all of these top recruits going to these camps are playing in Nike gear. He asked the hosts name one kid that wants to go to a program with Russell Athletic. Bilas knows they are no longer with Russell but they had been over the past several years. Last, he said Tech has the worst facilities in the ACC. This surprised me because of the somewhat recent updates to McCamish. He said compared to all of the other schools GT is last in the conference when it comes to practice and game facilities.

Based on that interview USM checked off each failure box Bilas mentioned regarding GT.....

Last edited by Nugget's Ghostbuster (2019-03-27 20:08:25)

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Liked by:

#8 2019-03-27 20:23:59 - Artificial turf at Pete Taylor Park?

AndreWhere (1252)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

If the tax bill doesn’t pass, nothing will change for the next 10 years. Interesting interview this morning on 680 in Atlanta with Jay Bilas. They asked him why a school like Virginia Tech is successful in the ACC but not Georgia Tech located in a talent rich state like Georgia in basketball. His first answer was that GT is poor....which is correct. They are operating in a deficit right now with paying out former coaches. The second point Bilas made was Russell Athletic. He said all of these top recruits going to these camps are playing in Nike gear. He asked the hosts name one kid that wants to go to a program with Russell Athletic. Bilas knows they are no longer with Russell but they had been over the past several years. Last, he said Tech has the worst facilities in the ACC. This surprised me because of the somewhat recent updates to McCamish. He said compared to all of the other schools GT is last in the conference when it comes to practice and game facilities.

Based on that interview USM checked off each failure box Bilas mentioned regarding GT.....

Their facilities really aren't special by ACC standards, and their fans will tell you Russell has been a drag.

Poor, though? I don't know. I think that's another parallel with USM. When you're throwing $1.2 million at baseball while people say your basketball arena reminds them of Hoosiers / Mongolia, when you're hiring a football coach who thinks the waist crosses the belly button, when you're even returning calls from Russell Athletic... do you have a poverty problem, or a decision making problem that happens to be impacting your finances?

Last edited by AndreWhere (2019-03-27 20:24:48)

#9 2019-03-28 07:22:56 - Artificial turf at Pete Taylor Park?

Mao Tse-gore (412)

$1,200,000.00 vs redoing a few french drains?

We still suck bigtime.
There's a big difference between optimism and an altered state of reality.
Not another dime, not another mile, not another minute.
MSFlag.gif

#10 2019-03-28 08:06:30 - Artificial turf at Pete Taylor Park?

AndreWhere (1252)

Mao Tse-gore wrote:

$1,200,000.00 vs redoing a few french drains?

Makes you wonder who's paying for all those baseball diamonds you see all over the place.

#11 2019-03-28 09:02:46 - Artificial turf at Pete Taylor Park?

Mao Tse-gore (412)

I don't know anything about it, but they are probably networked under the entire field, not just around the edges, so the existing turf probably has to come up anyway. Baseball, apple pie, and the stench of hot plastic.

We still suck bigtime.
There's a big difference between optimism and an altered state of reality.
Not another dime, not another mile, not another minute.
MSFlag.gif

#12 2019-03-28 10:18:32 - Artificial turf at Pete Taylor Park?

Hopefully we are taking the time to learn about the differences in artificial turf across baseball vs going with the lowest bid. This has been a sticking point here in Texas regarding the Rangers new ballpark scheduled to open in one year. Everyone was waiting for the Rangers to make a decision on real or fake grass for about a year until they finally announced fake about two months ago. They had a meeting with the public and season ticket holders last month with the VP of Shaw Sports Turf who is installing the new field. It is amazing how many different synthetic turfs exist across MLB. The fabric padding is the key component when looking at how the ball responds or bounces off the synthetic turf as well as player safety. Thats where most of the expense comes in. Curious who made the call on going fake and how much or little research they put in with the decision.

#13 2019-03-31 18:08:52 - Artificial turf at Pete Taylor Park?

EagleFWB (176)

The correct answer is NO!

#14 2019-03-31 20:08:53 - Artificial turf at Pete Taylor Park?

Tanya (155)

Hopefully we are taking the time to learn about the differences in artificial turf across baseball vs going with the lowest bid.

research.

I needed a good laugh this weekend. Thank you.

#15 2019-03-31 20:26:23 - Artificial turf at Pete Taylor Park?

AndreWhere (1252)

Tanya wrote:

Hopefully we are taking the time to learn about the differences in artificial turf across baseball vs going with the lowest bid.

research.

I needed a good laugh this weekend. Thank you.

"Hope" is a four letter word around these parts.

Board footer