CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-25 15:15:54 - Reality of New Stadiums and Arenas in small towns......

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Reality of New Stadiums and Arenas in small towns......

Saw this piece regarding MGM Park in Biloxi but it serves as a cautionary tale for Hattiesburg and USM regarding RGC. Long story short, a feasibility study was done prior to the first shovel digging on MGM Park, projecting 4100 people per game which The Shuckers have not come close to....in fact they are almost half of that projection at 2300 per game. Since Biloxi is on the hook for a $1.2 million bond payment each year for the stadium they are having to come out of the general fund around $600K+ to payoff the stadium. With 17 years remaining on the 22 year deal, that means Biloxi is on pace to lose north of $13 million on the ballpark.

RGC is going to get just north of $3 million from the taco tax. That might get you power washing, paint, a few more chairbacks for Dunwoody and a couple of 40 inch Insignia TV's on sale at Best Buy for the concourses.....Thats about it.

RGC is too big for a school our size. You need a 5K venue that has a few more bells and whistles and less maintenance. Hell, SMU is almost in downtown Dallas and Moody is only 7K in size. Villanova plays in a 6500K arena...... USM should be in something about 40% smaller than its current capacity. That type of renno is going to cost you around a conservative 30-35 million.....

Longwood is building a new 3000K arena around $20 million.....maybe we can use their contractor......

http://www.wlox.com/2019/04/23/mgm-park … ff-biloxi/

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#2 2019-04-25 16:12:35 - Reality of New Stadiums and Arenas in small towns......

stinkfist (764)

Re: Reality of New Stadiums and Arenas in small towns......

while I get the gist, nobody is looking for a Jerry Jones styled redux...

what matters is upgrading to all chair back seating (which would reduce capacity with comfort), then upgrading internal facilities....

~1.3 MM/yr doesn't get much these days....

however, if they're smart they'll borrow on a low interest loan for the guaranteed time frame and fix some shite....and the OSB duck blinds gotta go....that's as small time as it gets...

if the tax stays in place, so be it for further maintenance and upgrading...

the current version of hoops and graduations don't pay the bills...

Last edited by stinkfist (2019-04-25 16:14:44)

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

#3 2019-04-25 16:53:18 - Reality of New Stadiums and Arenas in small towns......

B&GBU (259)

Redo the shitiers, concessions, and FGS replace the dingy green THC encrusted ceiling vinyl. Party ball or laser lights for the halftime burlesque show.

"Did you ever consider that the next level would be a lower one?"

#4 2019-04-25 16:53:30 - Reality of New Stadiums and Arenas in small towns......

AndreWhere (1252)

The capacity is fine.  RGC was full more than a few times during the latter part of Eustachy's tenure, and during Tyndall's as well. RGC was also a successful concert venue before it became obsolete.

I'm not sure I'd want the full-blown McGillis upgrade anyway. Surely there is more bang for the buck to be had elsewhere. You don't build that arena when your football coaches are pulling down some of the lowest salaries in FBS.

I'd like to see chairbacks, amenity upgrades, and maybe some cosmetic fixes. The ceiling is somehow uglier than you see at other arenas.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#5 2019-04-26 05:59:55 - Reality of New Stadiums and Arenas in small towns......

tg300 (439)

AndreWhere wrote:

The capacity is fine.  RGC was full more than a few times during the latter part of Eustachy's tenure, and during Tyndall's as well. RGC was also a successful concert venue before it became obsolete.

I'm not sure I'd want the full-blown McGillis upgrade anyway. Surely there is more bang for the buck to be had elsewhere. You don't build that arena when your football coaches are pulling down some of the lowest salaries in FBS.

I'd like to see chairbacks, amenity upgrades, and maybe some cosmetic fixes. The ceiling is somehow uglier than you see at other arenas.

The green tile bathrooms are about to be hip again.

#6 2019-04-26 07:52:35 - Reality of New Stadiums and Arenas in small towns......

Bleacher Eagle (44)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

RGC is too big for a school our size.

I don't think anybody will argue with you about this point. It just needs a massive overhaul to increase the fan experience. We can actually decrease capacity a pretty good bit by replacing all the bench seating with Loge Boxes and chairbacks. Tack on some new restrooms and it'll be fine for another 20 years.

Speaking of "too big for a school our size", I'd also say The Rock's capacity is too large. It would be a much better atmosphere if capacity were down around 28-30k. Replacing all the bench seating in the lower levels with chairbacks would help. Attendance is dropping across the country. It's a better experience to attend games at smaller venues with a packed house, than larger venues with thousands of empty seats.

#7 2019-04-26 08:14:46 - Reality of New Stadiums and Arenas in small towns......

tg300 (439)

Bleacher Eagle wrote:

I don't think anybody will argue with you about this point. It just needs a massive overhaul to increase the fan experience. We can actually decrease capacity a pretty good bit by replacing all the bench seating with Loge Boxes and chairbacks. Tack on some new restrooms and it'll be fine for another 20 years.

Speaking of "too big for a school our size", I'd also say The Rock's capacity is too large. It would be a much better atmosphere if capacity were down around 28-30k. Replacing all the bench seating in the lower levels with chairbacks would help. Attendance is dropping across the country. It's a better experience to attend games at smaller venues with a packed house, than larger venues with thousands of empty seats.

More duck blinds?

#8 2019-04-26 08:31:51 - Reality of New Stadiums and Arenas in small towns......

Mao Tse-gore (412)

Too big for a school with our current level of success.

We still suck bigtime.
There's a big difference between optimism and an altered state of reality.
Not another dime, not another mile, not another minute.
MSFlag.gif

#9 2019-04-26 09:12:50 - Reality of New Stadiums and Arenas in small towns......

Shrink it......you had your best record at 27-10 5 years ago.....lost only twice at home the entire season and still couldn’t sellout RGC. Memphis and BYU kinda came close to selling out and we are not playing schools like back in the Metro anymore. I’ve been to a game when USM was nationally ranked at home in the early 90’s and even if that happens again you won’t see a sold out arena because technology has evolved.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#10 2019-04-26 09:54:22 - Reality of New Stadiums and Arenas in small towns......

skyvoyager (177)

Saw this piece regarding MGM Park in Biloxi but it serves as a cautionary tale for Hattiesburg and USM regarding RGC. Long story short, a feasibility study was done prior to the first shovel digging on MGM Park, projecting 4100 people per game which The Shuckers have not come close to....in fact they are almost half of that projection at 2300 per game. Since Biloxi is on the hook for a $1.2 million bond payment each year for the stadium they are having to come out of the general fund around $600K+ to payoff the stadium. With 17 years remaining on the 22 year deal, that means Biloxi is on pace to lose north of $13 million on the ballpark.

RGC is going to get just north of $3 million from the taco tax. That might get you power washing, paint, a few more chairbacks for Dunwoody and a couple of 40 inch Insignia TV's on sale at Best Buy for the concourses.....Thats about it.

RGC is too big for a school our size. You need a 5K venue that has a few more bells and whistles and less maintenance. Hell, SMU is almost in downtown Dallas and Moody is only 7K in size. Villanova plays in a 6500K arena...... USM should be in something about 40% smaller than its current capacity. That type of renno is going to cost you around a conservative 30-35 million.....

Longwood is building a new 3000K arena around $20 million.....maybe we can use their contractor......

http://www.wlox.com/2019/04/23/mgm-park … ff-biloxi/

What was the attendance number they were projecting for Trustmark park to beak even for the Braves?
I thought it  was in the 4,000 range but don't remember.

Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

#11 2019-04-26 16:26:55 - Reality of New Stadiums and Arenas in small towns......

AndreWhere (1252)

Shrink it......you had your best record at 27-10 5 years ago.....lost only twice at home the entire season and still couldn’t sellout RGC. Memphis and BYU kinda came close to selling out and we are not playing schools like back in the Metro anymore. I’ve been to a game when USM was nationally ranked at home in the early 90’s and even if that happens again you won’t see a sold out arena because technology has evolved.

It will probably shrink somewhat as a natural result of some of the improvements that happen. I wouldn't artificially shrink it any more than that. While the reality right now is that half of RGC's capacity would probably be adequate, it's a good idea (and is in fact customary outside of South LA / MS) to aspire for better things. Let's not just toss that out.

Last edited by AndreWhere (2019-04-26 16:27:06)

#12 2019-04-26 19:39:19 - Reality of New Stadiums and Arenas in small towns......

I personally think all sports venues should shrink due to technology and costs. Best baseball park I have ever been to is PNC for the Pirates. Place seats just north of 30K. When I would go to Pirate games at Three Rivers, the place was overwhelming and terrible for baseball. Smaller is better IMO if it’s USM or if it’s the Dallas Mavericks.....as tech continues to evolve you are going to have more empty seats across the country.

#13 2019-04-26 20:19:17 - Reality of New Stadiums and Arenas in small towns......

stinkfist (764)

it shrinks with chair back seating....

give the media and pep band the req'd open area...

blow up the duck blinds and create some preferred 'whatever-ism'....

re-open the ROWDY RAIL DADGUMMIT!!!

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

#14 2019-04-27 17:41:01 - Reality of New Stadiums and Arenas in small towns......

Ace Barker (260)
Website

stinkfist wrote:

what matters is upgrading to all chair back seating (which would reduce capacity with comfort), then upgrading internal facilities....

however, if they're smart they'll borrow on a low interest loan for the guaranteed time frame and fix some shite....and the OSB duck blinds gotta go....that's as small time as it gets...

I heard USM is still having trouble paying the Giannini End Zone That can never be expanded and the Cocktail Lounges. USM sold the Cocktail Lounges pretty cheap. Just writhing what I have heard.

Ace...

Liked by:

#15 2019-04-27 18:33:08 - Reality of New Stadiums and Arenas in small towns......

Ace Barker wrote:
stinkfist wrote:

I heard USM is still having trouble paying the Giannini End Zone That can never be expanded and the Cocktail Lounges. USM sold the Cocktail Lounges pretty cheap. Just writhing what I have heard.

Ace...

I’ve said it before that top deck is a party landing in waiting.....just look at what CSU did with their beer garden in their new stadium. Leverage our relationship with Jimmy Buffett and make that top deck into a Margaritaville and sell passes for access and some watered down drinks and Coronas.......

but what the hell do I know about marketing........

#16 2019-04-27 19:18:37 - Reality of New Stadiums and Arenas in small towns......

TheChosenOne (295)

Ace Barker wrote:
stinkfist wrote:

Ace...

This is 100% accurate and Ace you’re just being Nice. You know it to be fact

#17 2019-04-28 08:14:28 - Reality of New Stadiums and Arenas in small towns......

It’s not that difficult, USM......really, it isn’t........

DSC_5085.JPG

#18 2019-04-28 12:01:45 - Reality of New Stadiums and Arenas in small towns......

tg300 (439)

Ace Barker wrote:
stinkfist wrote:

Ace...

It's the gift that keeps on giving, Clark.

I'd still like to throat punch that prick.

#19 2019-04-28 13:57:11 - Reality of New Stadiums and Arenas in small towns......

Mao Tse-gore (412)

“These are the seasons of emotion and like the wind they rise and fall
This is the wonder of devotion - I see the torch we all must hold.
This is the mystery of the quotient, quotient - Upon us all, upon us all a little rain must fall.
It's just a little rain oh yeah”

We still suck bigtime.
There's a big difference between optimism and an altered state of reality.
Not another dime, not another mile, not another minute.
MSFlag.gif

Liked by:

#20 2019-04-28 16:17:19 - Reality of New Stadiums and Arenas in small towns......

AndreWhere (1252)

Mao Tse-gore wrote:

“These are the seasons of emotion and like the wind they rise and fall
This is the wonder of devotion - I see the torch we all must hold.
This is the mystery of the quotient, quotient - Upon us all, upon us all a little rain must fall.
It's just a little rain oh yeah”

Like Penny Lane, USM is not invited to the party at the end of the movie.

Board footer