CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-29 12:11:45 - Point of Reference

Mao Tse-gore (412)

Point of Reference

For USM, winning the CUSA tourney is not progress.

We were already in the NCAA field until we bogeyed three holes late blowing that and the reg. season championship.

The tourney run, as impressive as it was, was only a repair - double eagle to get back to par.

Winning the regional, however, would be progress.

We still suck bigtime.
There's a big difference between optimism and an altered state of reality.
Not another dime, not another mile, not another minute.
MSFlag.gif

#2 2019-05-29 15:01:57 - Point of Reference

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Re: Point of Reference

Amen....

Its one of the biggest jokes on some other boards where people are asking where all the Berry haters went.....

Simply stated, being good keeps you employed.......pretty much in any profession.....until it becomes cost prohibitive.

I would ask Jeremy and the Eagle fanbase with rose colored glasses this simple question....If you knew 10 years ago when you hired Berry that you would miss 4 out of 10 tournaments and not have a single win against a 1 or 2 seed over a 10 year period would you still hire Berry for the next 10 years simply because he won regular season and tourney CUSA titles?

At Southern Miss, just passing the grade is what is expected, nothing more. Here are a few points from his contract extension a few years ago after missing four straight regional tournaments....

"Despite missing the NCAA Baseball Tournament for the fourth straight year, Southern Mississippi head baseball coach Scott Berry's job is not only safe but his contract will be extended apparently.

The Hattiesburg American reported Tuesday morning that USM Athletics Director Bill McGillis indicated that Berry, whose contract is set to expire on June 30th, will remain with the Golden Eagles

"It will definitely be extended, and I'm looking forward to his continued leadership," -USM Athletics Director Bill McGillis

The Golden Eagles' season officially ended Monday when the team was left out of the NCAA Tournament for the fourth straight season. Prior to that, Southern Miss had played in nine consecutive NCAA Tournaments.

"We were not rewarded for our strong regular season this year but I'm confident we'll be a Regional team again," McGillis told The Hattiesburg American. "That's our expectation, and I believe coach Berry is fully capable of leading us there.

Last edited by Nugget's Ghostbuster (2019-05-29 15:02:53)

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#3 2019-05-29 16:10:54 - Point of Reference

tg300 (439)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

Amen....

Its one of the biggest jokes on some other boards where people are asking where all the Berry haters went.....

Simply stated, being good keeps you employed.......pretty much in any profession.....until it becomes cost prohibitive.

I would ask Jeremy and the Eagle fanbase with rose colored glasses this simple question....If you knew 10 years ago when you hired Berry that you would miss 4 out of 10 tournaments and not have a single win against a 1 or 2 seed over a 10 year period would you still hire Berry for the next 10 years simply because he won regular season and tourney CUSA titles?

At Southern Miss, just passing the grade is what is expected, nothing more. Here are a few points from his contract extension a few years ago after missing four straight regional tournaments....

"Despite missing the NCAA Baseball Tournament for the fourth straight year, Southern Mississippi head baseball coach Scott Berry's job is not only safe but his contract will be extended apparently.

The Hattiesburg American reported Tuesday morning that USM Athletics Director Bill McGillis indicated that Berry, whose contract is set to expire on June 30th, will remain with the Golden Eagles

"It will definitely be extended, and I'm looking forward to his continued leadership," -USM Athletics Director Bill McGillis

The Golden Eagles' season officially ended Monday when the team was left out of the NCAA Tournament for the fourth straight season. Prior to that, Southern Miss had played in nine consecutive NCAA Tournaments.

"We were not rewarded for our strong regular season this year but I'm confident we'll be a Regional team again," McGillis told The Hattiesburg American. "That's our expectation, and I believe coach Berry is fully capable of leading us there.

EP Fb toppers would have you drawn and quartered by midnight for this post.

#4 2019-05-29 16:58:05 - Point of Reference

B&GBU (259)

tg300 wrote:

They are like children gorging themselves on rotten candy.

"Did you ever consider that the next level would be a lower one?"

#5 2019-05-29 18:39:34 - Point of Reference

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

The old fogy money and mindset when Berry goes 0-2 this weekend in Baton Rouge.....

cd550abcf3c494c153ff69a9b99463e6-273495.gif?io=square

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Liked by:

#6 2019-05-29 20:49:52 - Point of Reference

Fake Ellis Johnson (11)

I’ve been wondering what would the narrative have been if the ump had rung Franklin up on that 0-2 pitch that was all over the strike zone.

2EE6EF14-DB7B-474D-A31F-53F9DAB340BE.png

Liked by:

#7 2019-05-30 05:41:31 - Point of Reference

tg300 (439)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

The old fogy money and mindset when Berry goes 0-2 this weekend in Baton Rouge.....

cd550abcf3c494c153ff69a9b99463e6-273495.gif?io=square

Win

#8 2019-05-30 06:46:49 - Point of Reference

Mao Tse-gore (412)

B&GBU wrote:
tg300 wrote:

They are like children gorging themselves on rotten candy.

It is not negative to now have a higher expectations.

We still suck bigtime.
There's a big difference between optimism and an altered state of reality.
Not another dime, not another mile, not another minute.
MSFlag.gif

Board footer