CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-13 13:44:03 - New NFLNetwork TV deal...

Bleacher Eagle (44)

New NFLNetwork TV deal...

Is gonna be worth about 40K per team. Not even sure if that'll cover production costs:

https://twitter.com/LaTechReport/status … 6321408000

Liked by:

#2 2019-06-13 16:42:35 - New NFLNetwork TV deal...

Noodles (29)

Re: New NFLNetwork TV deal...

Think the NFL Network is covering production. It's a tier three contract. Not bad for what it is, and the exposure is pretty great. Recruits should love the sound of the NFL Network.

#3 2019-06-13 17:06:53 - New NFLNetwork TV deal...

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Truth be told kids today don't care or pick a school based on how many times they might be seen on ESPN, NFL Network, Facebook or Twitter. Every single game is available in some capacity for streaming. ABC, CBS and ESPN only mattered when they were the only ones showing games. I can now watch Furman play South Dakota St in womens volleyball on the ESPN app if I want to from my living room in Texas so as long as I have a data plan I can see just about anything.

USM has a Radio, Television and Film school. I should be able to watch every single sporting event, arts event, planning meeting, graduation, etc.... from my same living room with an annual pass offered by USM that is produced by the RTF school. Undergraduates should be getting valuable on the job training and course credit for producing any/all these events. Equipment is dirt cheap with todays technology to broadcast audio and video in 1080p. I would pay $100 annually to have Seymour TV.

Instead of us worrying about the measly 40K in revenue from the NFL Network, why doesn't our leadership worry about the $1.3 million they are leaving on the table if they target everyone that is an active member of the alumni association for Seymour TV.

Good lawd, if they put in just half the effort they put forth in trying to get my personal information for that dumb alumni directory each year imagine what they could accomplish by creating a fairly inexpensive and far more lucrative venture to connect us with USM Athletics........

tenor.gif

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#4 2019-06-13 20:28:34 - New NFLNetwork TV deal...

AndreWhere (1252)

You may be right about cable TV sports, outside of a few big, prime-time, important games.

Time was, everyone woke up on Saturday and checked out what college football games were coming on. Nowadays, I just don't know. I think apparel sales probably drive program profile as much as anything.

I don't really know any teenage boys, so I can't say for certain.

I do like the NFL Network deal because it means I can watch USM without screwing around with a Roku and dealing with CUSA-level production values.

It would surprise me if there's really any money being left on the table. "People who want to stream USM sports" is a very, very niche market.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#5 2019-06-14 07:16:30 - New NFLNetwork TV deal...

Bleacher Eagle (44)

Noodles wrote:

Think the NFL Network is covering production. It's a tier three contract. Not bad for what it is, and the exposure is pretty great. Recruits should love the sound of the NFL Network.

I hope you're correct about the production costs. As far as exposure, I don't think it really matters. Streaming is becoming such a common thing, that I don't think a 16-18 year old recruit would thing twice about watching a game streamed on Netflix vs watching a game on the NFL Network. It's such common practice for them, I just don't think it has an affect. Dan Patrick was talking the other day about the NFL wanting to hurry up and negotiate their next TV contract because this would be the last NFL contract where traditional carriers are serious bidders. Beyond that, the Netflix/Amazon Prime bidders of the world would take over.

The most concerning part to me is the money, or lack thereof, involved. We are getting further and further behind. The American's new television deal is supposedly gonna be worth about $7 million per school, per year. How much is our total payout? A few hundred K? That's just too big of a gap to sustain for very long. We aren't talking about the gap between us and the SEC schools, we're talking about the gap between us and Memphis, Tulane, Houston, etc. It won't take too many years before their facilities are exponentially better than ours. If we can't compete with Tulane and Memphis, then why is there any hope of renewed interest going forward?

#6 2019-06-14 08:48:58 - New NFLNetwork TV deal...

Mao Tse-gore (412)

Recruits know what real TV is. We are inconsequential, and if these shadows remain unaltered...

We still suck bigtime.
There's a big difference between optimism and an altered state of reality.
Not another dime, not another mile, not another minute.
MSFlag.gif

Board footer