CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-26 09:09:14 - Would this be better?

Mao Tse-gore (412)

Would this be better?

USM
SWLA
LATech
Rice
NTex
UAB
Troy
Arky St.

Geographically efficient, gives intrastate rivalry games in AL, TX and LA; allows 4 open slots for freelance games of conquest.

If needed 10, consider MTenn and GASouthern.

If needed 12, consider FAU and FIU.

Hire the Sunbelt's commissioner!

New conference name?

We still suck bigtime.
There's a big difference between optimism and an altered state of reality.
Not another dime, not another mile, not another minute.
MSFlag.gif

#2 2019-06-26 11:42:11 - Would this be better?

tg300 (439)

Re: Would this be better?

Mao Tse-gore wrote:

USM
SWLA
LATech
Rice
NTex
UAB
Troy
Arky St.

Geographically efficient, gives intrastate rivalry games in AL, TX and LA; allows 4 open slots for freelance games of conquest.

New conference name?

It is the first line of your sig.

#3 2019-06-26 11:56:17 - Would this be better?

Black Diamond Reb (418)

Mao Tse-gore wrote:

New conference name?

maxresdefault.jpg

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#4 2019-06-26 13:29:41 - Would this be better?

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

Mao Tse-gore wrote:

USM
SWLA
LATech
Rice
NTex
UAB
Troy
Arky St.

New conference name?

Southern Miss needs to take control of their future and not continue to leave it up to Judy or Aresco. CUSA didn’t provide any financial benefit for USM in 2018. The only thing it did was make scheduling easier for our athletic department. We didn’t get in a bowl game because of CUSA and it didn’t do us any benefits in basketball. Once we act like we can do better then you start making changes to better ourselves.

If I can swap out Charlotte, FAU and ODU with UCONN, BYU, Army and Liberty today I would on an annual basis. If I have to go back to four home games a year in order to add two more P5 schools then so be it. If I have to do two for ones with Memphis, Cincinnati, ECU and UCF because of our leadership mistakes over the last 10 years so be it. I will take it and not look back on CUSA. What benefit does CUSA provide us today? If you can exchange whatever that benefit is for a better schedule and opportunity you take it and make it happen.

Go Independent and rebuild our brand.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#5 2019-06-26 16:14:49 - Would this be better?

AndreWhere (1252)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

The only thing it did was make scheduling easier for our athletic department.

Apparently that'll get you 25 years of unswerving loyalty in Hattiesburg.

I bet the guy who has the Jazzy franchise up there is really cleaning up.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#6 2019-06-26 17:47:28 - Would this be better?

Ace Barker (260)
Website

Our fans seem to have accepted this bus league mentality. G wins. He should be the commissioner. Just damn. USM is finally done.

Ace...

#7 2019-06-26 17:51:29 - Would this be better?

TheChosenOne (295)

Ace, not everyone. Amazes me to read this stuff.  No way this improves our situation.  Some say closer so fans can travel. Hell if that easy why not show up in Hattiesburg.  Other comments talk about travel cost. This regional thing will have little savings. Devil is in the details.

Liked by:

#8 2019-06-26 18:06:50 - Would this be better?

AndreWhere (1252)

TheChosenOne wrote:

Ace, not everyone. Amazes me to read this stuff.  No way this improves our situation.  Some say closer so fans can travel. Hell if that easy why not show up in Hattiesburg.  Other comments talk about travel cost. This regional thing will have little savings. Devil is in the details.

I realized something a couple of days ago when this thread was posted: I don't think I've ever been to a sporting event involving a current CUSA school other than UAB or Rice.

I used to get flamed for posting stuff like this on the other board. "You don't go to every game??"

Unfortunately, I just can't. I was at our last two bowl games. Went to the Southern game a couple of years ago, and the Rice game the year before that. Had tickets to Appalachian State last year before they wimped out...

But I've never felt compelled to drive down for UNT, LA Tech, FiU, or any of the rest. Never really decided to boycott CUSA, it just happened naturally. And it's kind of telling, I think.

Liked by:

#9 2019-06-26 18:38:03 - Would this be better?

Today’s game is no longer about sexy or traditional matchups. It’s about who has the money regardless of what Giannini wanted. No one cared when we played UCF when they were in our conference now we would gladly play them every year because their enrollment poured money into their program and they hit it when they hired Scott Frost. Follow the money to find the next Boise and the money points at Liberty in all directions. $1.4 BILLION endowment.....upgrading all facilities. Basketball is legit. Would not be surprised if they go to the AAC along with VCU(for basketball only) within the next 2-3 years.

Did we make bad decisions in our administration? Yes. Would lack of cash still caught up with us? Yes. Will continuing status quo in CUSA improve our lack of cash? No. Go on the road for the paycheck again will be the only saving grace at this point.

Last edited by Nugget's Ghostbuster (2019-06-26 18:39:13)

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Liked by:

#10 2019-06-26 18:51:01 - Would this be better?

AndreWhere (1252)

Go on the road for the paycheck again will be the only saving grace at this point.

There was never any other viable option.

#11 2019-06-26 19:09:50 - Would this be better?

You can learn a lot from this UCONN story.....invest in what you are good at and do whatever it takes for that one sport. Stop trying to be all things in all sports....People forget that UCONN football was in the Fiesta Bowl playing Oklahoma just 8 seasons ago averaging over 35K a game at home. It didn’t work chasing the AAC for the benefit of football. Now they are going back to what made them UCONN historically.....a basketball school.

All things considered......lack of money, millennials not going to football games, no money for basketball renovations.....just put our limited resources into baseball and be great at that. I’m sitting here watching Vandy about to win another CWS and they had less success than us in baseball 10 years ago. It can be done.

#12 2019-06-26 19:56:19 - Would this be better?

B&GBU (259)

Mao Tse-gore wrote:

USM
SWLA
LATech
Rice
NTex
UAB
Troy
Arky St.

New conference name?

Tough to stomach, but our odds of getting into the AAC are poor and alternatives are few. This scenario is no worse than the current CUSA, but has lower travel expenses and leaves room for OOC paydays. Pretty much boils 2 conferences down to 1 arguably improving marketability, especially with a competent commissioner which we already know the Sunbelt has. Would be nice to see our carcass twitch at least.

"Did you ever consider that the next level would be a lower one?"

#13 2019-06-26 20:19:31 - Would this be better?

AndreWhere (1252)

Mao Tse-gore wrote:

USM
SWLA
LATech
Rice
NTex
UAB
Troy
Arky St.

It would be good if any plan like this could include Georgia State.

#14 2019-06-27 09:37:08 - Would this be better?

skyvoyager (177)

You can learn a lot from this UCONN story.....invest in what you are good at and do whatever it takes for that one sport. Stop trying to be all things in all sports....People forget that UCONN football was in the Fiesta Bowl playing Oklahoma just 8 seasons ago averaging over 35K a game at home. It didn’t work chasing the AAC for the benefit of football. Now they are going back to what made them UCONN historically.....a basketball school.

All things considered......lack of money, millennials not going to football games, no money for basketball renovations.....just put our limited resources into baseball and be great at that. I’m sitting here watching Vandy about to win another CWS and they had less success than us in baseball 10 years ago. It can be done.

Remember, UCONN lost $1.8 million going to the fiesta bowl selling ~3,000 tickets when required to sell 17,500

But it did not get any better in the AAC as the UCONN athletic dept. lost $41 million this year.

Everyone has the right to be stupid... It's just that some people abuse the privilege.

#15 2019-06-27 10:15:47 - Would this be better?

Mao Tse-gore (412)

tg300 wrote:

It is the first line of your sig.

Agreed. I ain't promising nothin extra, I'm just saying that if we are going to suck, we might at least do so in a more practical way and at a lower cost.

We still suck bigtime.
There's a big difference between optimism and an altered state of reality.
Not another dime, not another mile, not another minute.
MSFlag.gif

Liked by:

#16 2019-06-28 20:03:07 - Would this be better?

B&GBU (259)

Suck with dignity instead of sitting by the side of the road with our dick in our hand?
0*x6Y-uVduUOWmYngr.jpg

"Did you ever consider that the next level would be a lower one?"

#17 2019-06-29 05:18:02 - Would this be better?

Bleacher Eagle (44)

Mao Tse-gore wrote:

allows 4 open slots for freelance games of conquest

Five

Board footer