CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-17 13:54:02 - CUSA Media Day Interview Today

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

CUSA Media Day Interview Today

Brief recap of the 15 minute interview from this afternoon:

Coach Hop, Jordan Mitchell and Racheem Boothe....Southern Miss picked to finish second in west in CUSA....

Hop on Bowl last years bowl snub - Hop said it hurt. We were 6 points from 9-2 and two TD's from being 10-1. We are a junior/senior, southern miss football team this year and we are ready to go.

Hop on running game improvement - one of the reasons Buster is here was specific to run game focus but Hop wants us to throw this year.

Hop on OL - Competition was big this off season. We brought in 4-5 new guys this off season that are competing for a starting spot.

Hop on QB competition situation, Jack and Tate. Hop felt we were at our best down the stretch last season when USM played both guys. Jack reminds Hop of Nick Mullens. Ideally we are a one qb system and will name a starter but if two qb's work we will do it. If both deserve to play he will play both guys.

Per Media Day host, USM defense has SEC sized players, War Daddies is what the host called them. Hop talked about the tradition and legacy at Southern Miss. Talked about Coach Carmody, Big Nasty. Defense is now an older unit. Allowed fewest first downs in FBS last season.

Jordan Mitchell - Hop is a life coach more than a football coach, helping him getting through injuries and red shirt. Felt bowl snub was a shot at Southern Miss.

Racheem Boothe - snub of a bowl hurt. using it as a fire for this year.

Parker replacement at kicker - Hop signed a couple of kickers and feels we addressed it at both punter and place kicker in the off season.  Not concerned.

Transfer Portal thoughts - Hop was hesitant at first. May not have been as beneficial for the student athlete. Doesn't seem to be a fan of it.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#2 2019-07-17 16:34:40 - CUSA Media Day Interview Today

Black Diamond Reb (418)

Re: CUSA Media Day Interview Today

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

Southern Miss picked to finish second in west in SUNWACUSA.

Hello Poydras Street

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

Liked by:

#3 2019-07-17 17:03:29 - CUSA Media Day Interview Today

AndreWhere (1252)

Felt bowl snub was a shot at Southern Miss.

Didn't Gilbert quit right in the middle of all that shit? That's probably your answer. There's a communication process associated with getting a bowl bid and that assclown probably couldn't be bothered.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#4 2019-07-18 12:36:13 - CUSA Media Day Interview Today

Mao Tse-gore (412)

1. If the QB controversy is a stunt to gain interest it does the opposite for me.

2. Don't understand the love affair with Jack, was a half-ass QB who personally blew several games last year.

3. It was obvious Tate was better.

We still suck bigtime.
There's a big difference between optimism and an altered state of reality.
Not another dime, not another mile, not another minute.
MSFlag.gif

#5 2019-07-18 16:47:02 - CUSA Media Day Interview Today

tg300 (439)

Mao Tse-gore wrote:

1. If the QB controversy is a stunt to gain interest it does the opposite for me.

2. Don't understand the love affair with Jack, was a half-ass QB who personally blew several games last year.

3. It was obvious Tate was better.

Neither is a legit college QB.

#6 2019-07-18 18:51:11 - CUSA Media Day Interview Today

We have a highly recruited frosh who apparently can’t beat Robo Knee or Nipsy Shuffle pass for the starting QB spot. Not sure what that says about our chances.......

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#7 2019-07-18 21:58:43 - CUSA Media Day Interview Today

AndreWhere (1252)

Doesn't seem like this staff has ever really had a QB since Mullens left.

Something is missing: recruiting QBs, coaching them up to play college ball, or picking the right one. I'm not smart enough to tell you which one of these things is the problem, but something that needs to be happening isn't happening, and it's been that way long enough to call it a problem.

#8 2019-07-19 07:34:10 - CUSA Media Day Interview Today

Black Diamond Reb (418)

tg300 wrote:

Neither Jack nor Tate is a legit college QB.

What about the Cuban deportee? He was all Dade County, and Randy Hardin looked great on film. Granny Jefcoat told me all this at the Wal Marx.

"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."

Liked by:

#9 2019-07-19 08:22:16 - CUSA Media Day Interview Today

Mao Tse-gore (412)

tg300 wrote:

Neither is a legit college QB.

Tate looked like he has the tools and can be, but they put Jack on the posters, so I expect the wheels will lock up with indecisiveness even after fall practice and we'll drop some games because of that.

We still suck bigtime.
MSFlag.gif

Liked by:

#10 2019-07-19 08:44:19 - CUSA Media Day Interview Today

Tanya (155)

I’ve never seen a good coaching staff at any level head into August without a clear leader at QB.

Liked by:

#11 2019-07-19 09:07:53 - CUSA Media Day Interview Today

AndreWhere (1252)

This shit in particular:

> If both deserve to play he will play both guys.

...honestly seems profoundly wrong to me. Cart of "deservedness" put before the horse of "winning." Smacks of Gilbertism.

#12 2019-07-19 11:28:42 - CUSA Media Day Interview Today

Mao Tse-gore (412)

AndreWhere wrote:

This shit in particular:

> If both deserve to play he will play both guys.

...honestly seems profoundly wrong to me. Cart of "deservedness" put before the horse of "winning." Smacks of Gilbertism.

Got to remember that the prime mission now is the coddling of student athletes. Winning is somewhere further down the list.

We still suck bigtime.
MSFlag.gif

Liked by:

#13 2019-07-19 12:39:37 - CUSA Media Day Interview Today

The two QB comments were the biggest takeaway from the media day discussion but does it really mean anything? Those comments were directed for two people only, Jack and Tate. Is Hop correct that we finished strong when we played both down the stretch, yes, but I can't separate that from Hops/Dawsons debacle of Griggs and Howard his second season. Griggs had the upside, Howard had Hops loyalty, so both played and we never found consistency on offense as a result. Can you factor in that year 1 and 2 were rookie mistakes for a new coaching staff coming off of Monkens recruits? Maybe. Last season was just odd but not surprising. Have a young team lose to ULM at home but hang with Auburn on the road. Lose to Charlotte but take the auto brokers to OT. If Griggs doesn't get railroaded three weeks before the season starts I believe we have 8 wins instead of six which doesn't mean much with that weak schedule. We had no consistency or identity all season but we started to show something in November. Will Dawsons exit give us the freedom to open up on offense this season?

Two weeks ago I had the pleasure of meeting our Co O coordinator and his wife while waiting to pickup my wife and daughter at the airport. It took me a minute to figure out who I was recognizing with the Southern Miss Adidas backpack waiting for luggage at baggage claim. I decided to just say a quick hello as a USM alum. A quick hello turned into a few minutes of talk about family, football, Bower, Hop, the team, etc.... He wasn't going to just let me say hello and wish him well this season. First impression was how well spoken and grounded he is, especially considering how young he is. You can't help but want him to make the most of this opportunity for him and Faulkner. You know he has been waiting for this chance and you have to believe they will make the most of it without fear of failure. Experience alone will elevate our offense this year. The OL will provide a dramatically improved running game. As long as the defense shows up and dare I say improves even more, we are going to have a great season.........its almost foolproof......

#14 2019-07-19 14:57:11 - CUSA Media Day Interview Today

Black Diamond Reb (418)

We are going to have a great season.

This should end well

#15 2019-07-19 19:10:58 - CUSA Media Day Interview Today

Bleacher Eagle (44)

We were 6 points from 9-2 and two TD's from being 10-1.

I hate this type hypothetical thinking. We were also 3 points away from being 4-7. It can always go both ways.

#16 2019-07-19 19:18:07 - CUSA Media Day Interview Today

Bleacher Eagle wrote:

We were 6 points from 9-2 and two TD's from being 10-1.

I hate this type hypothetical thinking. We were also 3 points away from being 4-7. It can always go both ways.

Agree 1000%......Griggs situation cost us an experienced skill position leader and probably two games but 8 wins with a weak schedule does nothing for our program and seems to be our peak under Hop until proven otherwise.

#17 2019-07-19 19:39:01 - CUSA Media Day Interview Today

SoMs Eagle (189)

Tanya wrote:

I’ve never seen a good coaching staff at any level head into August without a clear leader at QB.

This your first year watching football?

One thing our fans are good at is panicking.
All the ‘Mel Kipers’ on here don’t know chit. The same ones that are missing Mullins are the same ones that said he wasn’t a D1 QB. Tate’s just a true soph who saw some game time last year and showed flashes of potential.
Back up from the ledge....

#18 2019-07-20 09:05:32 - CUSA Media Day Interview Today

Tanya (155)

SoMs Eagle wrote:
Tanya wrote:

This your first year watching football?

One thing our fans are good at is panicking.
All the ‘Mel Kipers’ on here don’t know chit. The same ones that are missing Mullins are the same ones that said he wasn’t a D1 QB. Tate’s just a true soph who saw some game time last year and showed flashes of potential.
Back up from the ledge....

No

Board footer