CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-27 06:33:18 - The onslaught of alcohol sales at college football venues

AndreWhere (1252)

The onslaught of alcohol sales at college football venues

Seems like everyone is getting on board, even as society seems to becoming more and more puritanical with respect to everything but dope and sex. ECU started alcohol sales a few weeks ago. Several SEC schools including UGA started earlier this year as well. Of course, USM will sell alcohol for the first time tomorrow.

This is good, but it's reasonable to ask "what's up?" It seems like, for years and years, if you asked about alcohol sales at USM, you got the usual tired old list of excuses.

I think it all ties back to a real, across-the-board drop in attendance that hasn't fully been reflected in the official figures. You could see it in last week's "101,000 strong" crowd at Tuscaloosa. There's a newfound realization that getting people into a stadium is getting much more difficult.

People blame electronic "devices," fancy TVs, etc. but I also think something that happened a couple of years ago in Las Vegas played a role. There's a lot of overlap between college football fans and Country music fans.

Enjoy your beer, though, if you partake. I sure need one.

Last edited by AndreWhere (2019-09-27 06:35:32)

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

Liked by:

#2 2019-09-27 06:38:18 - The onslaught of alcohol sales at college football venues

EagleFWB (176)

Re: The onslaught of alcohol sales at college football venues

Long overdue in my opinion... USM needs every bit of revenue help we can get.

People have been sneaking it in for decades, USM might as well sell and profit.

#3 2019-09-27 08:07:14 - The onslaught of alcohol sales at college football venues

TheChosenOne (295)

Offering alcoholic beverages isn’t a bad thing, in moderation. For many years there have been ‘drunks’ in the stands with little issue. Offering in stadiums will increase revenue, pull some into the venue out from under the tent.

One could start an entire thread as to reason attendance numbers are dropping. Some are directly related to the University others are experienced by all. Depends on who you ask. Could be wrong but, not expecting alcohol sells to boost attendance significantly however will create a better game day experience for many.

Last edited by TheChosenOne (2019-09-27 08:09:04)

#4 2019-09-27 08:25:31 - The onslaught of alcohol sales at college football venues

Mao Tse-gore (412)

Still more fun to smuggle it in.

We still suck bigtime.
There's a big difference between optimism and an altered state of reality.
Not another dime, not another mile, not another minute.
MSFlag.gif

#5 2019-09-27 10:48:01 - The onslaught of alcohol sales at college football venues

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

AndreWhere wrote:

Seems like everyone is getting on board.

How do you separate yourself from what everyone else is doing and standout?

I believe CSU kickstarted this with their Flat Tire Beer Garden two years ago. I am beating a dead horse but how are we not sitting down with the business arm Magaritaville LLC and getting a license to add a few trees, tiki huts and a flying water airplane that flys from one end to the other after every touchdown surrounding a 30 ft bar selling some watered down bahama mamas with beach balls bouncing across the endzone and a beach band that plays pregame and during timeouts? Just selling beer and light wine isn't the finish line Golden Eagles........

MISSING THE BOAT SOUTHERN MISS........

020416trav1.jpg?w=620

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#6 2019-09-27 10:56:02 - The onslaught of alcohol sales at college football venues

TheChosenOne (295)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:

Seems like everyone is getting on board.

How do you separate yourself from what everyone else is doing and standout?

I believe CSU kickstarted this with their Flat Tire Beer Garden two years ago. I am beating a dead horse but how are we not sitting down with the business arm Magaritaville LLC and getting a license to add a few trees, tiki huts and a flying water airplane that flys from one end to the other after every touchdown surrounding a 30 ft bar selling some watered down bahama mamas with beach balls bouncing across the endzone and a beach band that plays pregame and during timeouts? Just selling beer and light wine isn't the finish line Golden Eagles........

MISSING THE BOAT SOUTHERN MISS........

020416trav1.jpg?w=620

Brilliant idea.   Out the box thinking so doubtful will find life but hell of an idea AD ‘hopefully’ vets

#7 2019-09-27 10:57:44 - The onslaught of alcohol sales at college football venues

Black Diamond Reb (418)

Some Whackjob wrote:

How about a flying water airplane that flys from one end to the other after every touchdown surrounding a 30 ft bar selling some watered down bahama mamas with beach balls bouncing across the endzone and a beach band that plays pregame and during timeouts?

Good God

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#8 2019-09-27 11:00:02 - The onslaught of alcohol sales at college football venues

TheChosenOne (295)

BDR, you’d be the first in line.

Can see you in Jimmy’s flip flop attire slipping on a pop tart

#9 2019-09-27 11:17:23 - The onslaught of alcohol sales at college football venues

Bleacher Eagle (44)

TheChosenOne wrote:

Jesus, I hope this is some lame attempt at humor. Pop tart? Really?

#10 2019-09-27 11:17:30 - The onslaught of alcohol sales at college football venues

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

I mean if Arky St can put in a two story waterfall why can’t we come up with some sand and some beach towels.....

464cf03aba1ca919c498da4c56a84e86

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Liked by:

#11 2019-09-27 11:28:07 - The onslaught of alcohol sales at college football venues

TheChosenOne (295)

Bleacher Eagle wrote:
TheChosenOne wrote:

Yes, attempted. Apparently miserable attempt

#12 2019-09-27 18:11:02 - The onslaught of alcohol sales at college football venues

B&GBU (259)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

I mean if Arky St can put in a two story waterfall why can’t we come up with some sand and some beach towels.....

How about everyone who buys a beer gets a free handful of sand down their skivvies.

"Did you ever consider that the next level would be a lower one?"

#13 2019-09-27 18:22:57 - The onslaught of alcohol sales at college football venues

AndreWhere (1252)

TheChosenOne wrote:
Bleacher Eagle wrote:
TheChosenOne wrote:

I think Jimmy "stepped on a pop top." It's a sharp little piece of debris of which I haven't seen an example in a good 35 years

But maybe you knew that.

Last edited by AndreWhere (2019-09-27 18:23:33)

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#14 2019-09-27 18:30:01 - The onslaught of alcohol sales at college football venues

Bleacher Eagle (44)

TheChosenOne wrote:
Bleacher Eagle wrote:
TheChosenOne wrote:

Ha! Okay man, no worries. Sarcasm just doesn’t always come across via text.
Watch out for them “pop tarts”.
TTT

Liked by:

#15 2019-09-27 21:18:31 - The onslaught of alcohol sales at college football venues

stinkfist (764)

another whackjob wrote:
Some Whackjob wrote:

How about a flying water airplane that flys from one end to the other after every touchdown surrounding a 30 ft bar selling some watered down bahama mamas with beach balls bouncing across the endzone and a beach band that plays pregame and during timeouts?

toss in tiki torch dances for every touchback and it's a winner...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkcz3GqlGzc

95368035975122i7o8%5B1%5D.jpg493758851198d75b9e7118c23f42f2ad02c1efee979.gif

Board footer