CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-24 09:08:04 - You can’t make this stuff up.......

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

You can’t make this stuff up.......

If La Tech, UAB and USM win next week USM wins the west and hosts the championship game.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#2 2019-11-24 09:23:32 - You can’t make this stuff up.......

AndreWhere (1252)

Re: You can’t make this stuff up.......

So LA Tech gets eliminated in the first round of tie-breaking, based on... record within the division maybe?  And then it's down to USM and UAB which is easily resolved based on head-to-head play (heh heh)?

Probably academic anyway. Lane Kiffin is firing up the blowtorch while Hop rubs two damp sticks against each other.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#3 2019-11-24 12:26:28 - You can’t make this stuff up.......

Kiffin owes Flopson for that Tony Peccaro mirage two years ago.....

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#4 2019-11-24 17:05:31 - You can’t make this stuff up.......

“If still tied, the representative will be the team that has not participated in the championship game most recently.”  Southern Miss (2015) would win that tie-breaker ahead of Louisiana Tech (2016) and UAB (2018).“

1eem0y.jpg

#5 2019-11-24 17:13:22 - You can’t make this stuff up.......

Tanya (155)

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

“If still tied, the representative will be the team that has not participated in the championship game most recently.”  Southern Miss (2015) would win that tie-breaker ahead of Louisiana Tech (2016) and UAB (2018).“

1eem0y.jpg

Speaking of participation trophy winners I’ve read 3 times online today that a new 4 year contract has been secured for Hopson.

#6 2019-11-24 17:27:02 - You can’t make this stuff up.......

AndreWhere (1252)

Tanya wrote:

a new 4 year contract has been secured for Hopson.

As a football coach?

#7 2019-11-24 18:05:09 - You can’t make this stuff up.......

Tanya (155)

AndreWhere wrote:
Tanya wrote:

As a football coach?

Apparently

#8 2019-11-24 18:16:02 - You can’t make this stuff up.......

TheChosenOne (295)

He’s in charge of crowd control.  Appears to be doing a fantastic job

Liked by:

#9 2019-11-24 18:22:45 - You can’t make this stuff up.......

AndreWhere (1252)

Tanya wrote:
AndreWhere wrote:
Tanya wrote:

As a football coach?

Apparently

Weird.

#10 2019-11-24 18:23:40 - You can’t make this stuff up.......

AndreWhere (1252)

TheChosenOne wrote:

He’s in charge of crowd control.  Appears to be doing a fantastic job

LMAO. This post deserves to win CUSA West.

#11 2019-11-24 18:47:32 - You can’t make this stuff up.......

Football is a business first and foremost. This cannot be debated. It literally is all about money, far and above who is “one of us” and what some 65 year old Bower supporter has to say just so he can feel important.

Jeremy doesn’t have a choice based on yesterday. He doesn’t have to justify any decision to Lamont. All he has to do is go by Fedex Office and pottery barn. He needs Fedex Office to printout a high resolution print and use his 40% off pottery barn frame that comes with free shipping and show Lamont this nicely framed picture...
1F000D78-503E-43A1-BF6E-9D23945CD396.jpeg

You see, regardless of whatever is posted by that keyboard “in the know” idiot on Eaglepost all you have to work with are FACTS. Jeremy is there to bang out the biggest profit with one of the lowest budgets. And guess what, it’s been done before and Jeremy is tasked with doing it without the luxury of excuses. If it costs him $3.5 million to buyout Hop and use the balance to hire another person $750K a year to add another 50K in the stands next season he will and has to make the move. Another 50K is $1 million in gate. That alone pays off Hop.

Now you win next week and back into a title game then Jeremys hands are tied. Because another home game is now on the books and financially another $400K in gate that wasn’t expected financially keeps Hop around for another year.

But don’t worry, Hop is terrible when it counts and Kiffin is coaching for his next P5 contract on Saturday and Hop ain’t preventing him from cashing in.

#12 2019-11-24 19:05:50 - You can’t make this stuff up.......

AndreWhere (1252)

I can believe the terms have been "Jeremy Ironed" out, but I sure hope the contract hasn't been "Jeremy Signed."

Hopson does have a way of pulling a win out of thin air late in the season to trick people. It won't shock me if he does it this year. It won't change the facts for me if he wins CUSA (I want him gone), but it might for Jeremy.

#13 2019-11-24 19:20:46 - You can’t make this stuff up.......

Honestly, I love what Jay Hopson represents for Southern Miss off the field. He is the real deal, a God fearing man who wears his religion on his sleeve and that’s exactly why he is an excellent recruiter. His staff loves him because of what he represents off the field as well. He wants to be at Southern Miss and I love anyone that supports this university with true intent and passion.

He is not a head ball coach at this level. Nothing wrong with that. Yesterday showed exactly how a coach in a first year of a program coming off 3 wins was smarter than a coach with far more coaching experience. Helton used his big school experience from USC and Tennessee and simply planned better and adjusted better. There is something to be said for a hunger in a young coach that has something to prove and that alone defines Helton. That’s what defined Fedora and Monken, honestly. EJ, Bower in his later years and Hop are really the opposite of that model.

Liked by:

#14 2019-11-24 19:24:55 - You can’t make this stuff up.......

EagleFWB (176)

I didn't care much for the hire. Not going after a coach for at least $1 mill and hiring Hopson for $500K told me everything I needed to know about the mind set of USM. Champions of mediocrity is what we are.

That said, I don't think he's fired after going to a bowl game.

Now, after the Briles bullshit my first thought was is Hopson gonna want to stay here with a president who doesn't support his decisions? It wouldn't surprise me if he took an assistant job somewhere else, because of that.

#15 2019-11-24 19:39:46 - You can’t make this stuff up.......

EagleFWB wrote:

I didn't care much for the hire. Not going after a coach for at least $1 mill and hiring Hopson for $500K told me everything I needed to know about the mind set of USM. Champions of mediocrity is what we are.

That said, I don't think he's fired after going to a bowl game.

Now, after the Briles bullshit my first thought was is Hopson gonna want to stay here with a president who doesn't support his decisions? It wouldn't surprise me if he took an assistant job somewhere else, because of that.

His hire had everything to do with timing and the AD in charge. Nothing more. Sure, members of the Bower fan club want to believe they made the call when all they really did was tug at the puppet strings of the weak AD.

Jeremy will take a meeting with those who want to feel important and politely shake their hand and thank them for their support as he should. But Jeremy has zero interest in retiring at Southern Miss. He might seem like one of us but he wants something greater and his clock is ticking as well to make his mark and exit stage left. While the Ladner hire is cute and pleases a small base of people that appear to care Jeremy is focused on the bigger revenue and brand pieces of the puzzle. He is building his own Southern Miss house of cards right now and once he gets it to about 3 levels high he will take the next paycheck and we will all look at him with respect and appreciation just like we look at Monken and for most of us Fedora as well.
That rennovation at PTP is all about Jeremy’s resume. Ever wonder how we can afford that right now? That’s Jeremy using a zero interest credit card and when that 24 months at zero percent rate expires it won’t be him getting hit with that massive interest payment,

Liked by:

#16 2019-11-24 19:50:42 - You can’t make this stuff up.......

AndreWhere (1252)

Can Jeremy make it off the embassy roof with football going like it is, though?

I guess Gilbo did, if you count ECU.

#17 2019-11-24 20:00:41 - You can’t make this stuff up.......

DILBERT is the guy who got a job at Exxon or AT&T. He knew someone and stayed employed because he learned early on to not say anything, show up and you can stay as long as you tow the company line. When SI exposed the debt Tennessee created purely through one terrible decision after the next his boss had to leave Knoxville. When we had to hire the next guy, we saw Exxon and AT&T on that resume and said wow, we get one of “those guys”. We bought into his “trust me as I evaluate” for my first year approach.

Then his former Exxon boss said come over here to Greenville, it pays better and you get another 36 months without accountability......

#18 2019-11-24 20:02:52 - You can’t make this stuff up.......

Disclaimer......I think Ace was one of those AT&T guys..........no offense, Ace......

#19 2019-11-24 20:21:54 - You can’t make this stuff up.......

AndreWhere (1252)

Then his former Exxon boss said come over here to Greenville, it pays better and you get another 36 months without accountability......

You know, Exxon / AT&T aside, that guy and Gilbert really are two peas in a pod.

This is the guy who decided "Lady Vols" was sexist or a waste of money or something. He wanted more "brand consistency"... as if putting "Lady" in front of your mascot were some kind of brain-busting mental challenge for people buying T-shirts. As if it cost anything to print "Lady" on a game program...

Meanwhile the dude's financing operations at Check-Into-Cash. Just no sense of what's important.

#20 2019-11-26 07:28:50 - You can’t make this stuff up.......

Ace Barker (260)
Website

Disclaimer......I think Ace was one of those AT&T guys..........no offense, Ace......

I retired from at&t July 30, 2018. I have no allegiance to them. It was one of four stops in my 39 years of working at NCR, Panasonic and BellSouth/at&t. I understand and agree with your statement about Jeremy.

Ace...

Last edited by Ace Barker (2019-11-26 07:29:26)

Board footer