CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-30 22:41:40 - 1000th post reflection

USMstang (303)

1000th post reflection

I've never been one to pay any attention to post counts of anyone much less my own but was looking at the members list here this evening and saw my own name with 999 next to it.  I decided to recognize this post and reflect a bit.

I really thought since the inception of this site 2 or 3 years ago, I had posted 400 or so times maybe.  I see that it's 1000 now and it made me think of what time period I harbored enough excitement to give a shit about discussing USM sports.  I say that because for the better part of 6 months after the dismal 2018 football season, I really didn't visit here.  I have a membership at the 24/7 site that I've had since that site consisted of about 8 regular posters but during that same period last year, I mostly lurked there.

The NFL abandoned me about 6 years ago now and has proven time and again that it is a rigged pile of shit.  NASCAR has sucked dick for at least 10 years now.  Pro baseball is meh...I fall asleep trying to watch.  NBA has been a ME sport for 4 decades now.  So I've really focused the last 18 years on USM football mostly and a few games of hoops or diamond sprinkled in.  But my support financially over the past 15 has grown every year.  I said at one point after last season that I would yield to the "rational" folks that said they are giving Hopson the benefit of the doubt until after his 4th full season.  I did the same and kept "writing the checks".  At this point, I'm beginning to feel like a damn fool for continuing to support the train wreck that has become USM sports, football and basketball in particular. 

President Bennett is a fucking moron on the scale with AKL, Fleming, and Saunders when it comes to understanding leadership in his hires.  Bennett has now hired 3 ADs and this latest one is beginning to make me think he ain't got it either.  Most presidents hire 1 AD if they are lucky but this guy has lacked vision in every instance.  It's like he finds a guy dumb enough to take the job and says,
"awesome, here's $400K a year on a max length contract....go get 'em big guy"!  BDR predicted and coined the SUNWACUSA moniker probably 8-10 years ago on Eagle Post and many called him out for it.  After a couple years, more people began to recognize it.  A few more years and getting passed by one more time by the AAC, he was dead-on in his prediction.  If a goofy ass Ole Miss grad that spent some of his workdays rowing a boat in a shit pond (and we thank you for your service to the school sir) could see what was coming, why the hell couldn't our past/current administrations even remotely catch a glimpse of what was to come for USM??

At this point in time, I will continue only because I'm not sure about Hop's contract and realize the university is too fuckin poor to pay 1 million bucks (or even 500K) to fire a guy and then replace him while providing the necessary funds to assemble a better staff.  As a business owner, I say cut your losses, limit further destruction, and get immediately on track to raging success.  That is obviously not a prevailing thought with any of the warm bodies we have making decisions at USM.   What is crazy is that at this point next year, depending upon who is named OC or DC this year, we may well win 8 games.  But that's not anywhere near my expectations.  I expected Hop to win the conference in year 4 or move on.  Back to winning 8 games...Bower 2.0 will probably return to USM with complete mediocrity (except Bower would at least win the league from time to time) and Hop will retire here in 10 years.  Even if we win 8, I am gone.  Year 5 = exponential success.  No exceptions.  The only way me and my money stay is if the whole thing is scrapped and we make a good hire.  Bad hire and I'm gone.

So I guess I'm saying that I'm gone from here too ahead of time.  I'll stop the cash flow first and delete all message board links the next day.  I know a few who have done it already and I'm left to realize that's where everyone that used to be so energized about discussing USM sports has gone...to peace and happiness somewhere else!  I really hope I'm here next year at this time but my faith is down below 1% in the administration.

SMTTT!

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

#2 2020-01-30 22:55:56 - 1000th post reflection

admin (289)
Administrator

Re: 1000th post reflection

I agree with all of that. I really appreciate your participation here.

EaglePost was a good board, and this board lived up to that pretty well until Hopson, etc. just sucked the life out. Year one was fun.

Something I said (and posted) around the time when the AAC was formed has grown from a sarcastic counterpoint, to a real possibility, to the best option:

Find a little home in a lower division or even in the NAIA for the Tater Tot Mafia. What USM is doing in athletics now tarnishes a legacy and does us a disservice.

Plenty of fine universities don't field top-tier football teams. But they admit it. This CUSA crap is bad whiskey poured into a long-emptied Glenfiddich bottle.

It needs to stop.

#3 2020-01-30 23:07:05 - 1000th post reflection

EagleFWB (176)

Cliff notes on this novel? wink

#4 2020-01-30 23:46:03 - 1000th post reflection

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

I would say the people that post here have a true understanding and equally true frustration with USM. We shed the frustration when a glimmer of light may shine in baseball or something like a Briles comes up out of absolutely nowhere. I agree that the Toppers are just good ole boys that don’t really invest and serve as a self proclaimed first line shield for the Ladners and Hopsons.

IMO Bennett was hired to focus on enriching enrollment and expanding a diversity initiative within the state run university system and to his credit, he is accomplishing his mission. Call it an agenda in plain sight, including those in charge of the print media, but USM is an easy target for a state run inclusivity program compared to bending a tree branch in the grove or whatever it is they do at State.

Jeremy came home for job security and a larger paycheck. He isn’t going to move with vigor or purpose for the first 24 months, he is going to operate at the pace of a tortoise, which Bennett just loves. Goal one is stability in their department playbooks with minimum early exit buyouts. Jeremy has already passed up too many open layups and is essentially using all of his past earned USM credits up before people eventually stop buying him lunch and greeting him with a firm welcome handshake. He got a look at Dilberts sports order catalog binder and liked what he saw.

Bennett, Jeremy and possibly the state leaders want USM to isolate itself from what it once was. We are in the middle of a massive mindset adjustment at USM..... and just like the aging out of the Conservative party a storm is coming that doesn’t involve Judy or the ever growing divide in media market revenues. The next generation is here and they don’t care about athletics. They want better wifi and gender neutral inclusivity across a major state run campus. It’s a White Claw World now in Hattiesburg. They need a place to call home and all roads are leading to Southern Miss.

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#5 2020-01-31 00:09:50 - 1000th post reflection

EagleFWB (176)

Jesus guys.... I've got to read the novels when I'm at work!

#6 2020-01-31 00:11:44 - 1000th post reflection

EagleFWB (176)

Hang on your seats for my sharp pointy rebuttals tomorrow when I'm at work!

#7 2020-01-31 11:43:33 - 1000th post reflection

Black Diamond Reb (418)

EagleFWB wrote:

Cliff notes on this novel?

USMstang wrote:

I really hope

There you go

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

#8 2020-01-31 20:32:22 - 1000th post reflection

USMstang (303)

EagleFWB wrote:

Cliff notes on this novel? wink

Sheeeyut, I'm a long-winded MFer.  That was the Cliff Notes version!  big_smile

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

Board footer