CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-14 18:34:52 - John Thompson To The Top Talk

Nugget's Ghostbuster (1627)

John Thompson To The Top Talk

I don’t know why the guys behind TTT Talk stopped posting their podcast here but I got a chance to listen to the most recent one with John Thompson. A few highlights.....

-he still can’t talk about Bama in 95. Sounded like he had the wrong personnel in on that play
-UGA game sounded like his proudest moment as DC
-asked about memorable games at The Rock and the 92 game against La Tech stood out. I remember that game and only 10 of us were there so I don’t get it......
-He seemed confused about when we played Tennessee
-he is coaching high school ball in Alpharetta, GA

I actually remember when he proposed to his wife on tv.....I also remember he was DC at LSU for 37 minutes.

Good listen if you want to find the podcast

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#2 2020-05-15 05:42:03 - John Thompson To The Top Talk

Ace Barker (260)
Website

Re: John Thompson To The Top Talk

He is completely out of coaching. I talked to him for a while at Shirley Bower’s funeral last year. He and his wife run a clothing store named Clothes Horse Men's Apparel,  in Alpharetta, GA. He said he enjoyed his time coaching and said he still misses working with the young players at times. He was doing well. Enjoyed the visit. It was good to see him.

Ace...

#3 2020-05-15 06:12:44 - John Thompson To The Top Talk

southerner92 (30)

That 1995 Alabama game was the worst feeling ever. was a long ride home after that one. i also went the Georgia game in 1996 and he was right, the defense beat Mike Bobo up that day.  I remember the 1992 La Tech game as being really hot and winning by a field goal. i was a senior that year about to graduate. Other than the shitshow vs Northern Illinois, that 1992 season was fun.

#4 2020-05-15 07:00:37 - John Thompson To The Top Talk

southerner92 wrote:

That 1995 Alabama game was the worst feeling ever. was a long ride home after that one. i also went the Georgia game in 1996 and he was right, the defense beat Mike Bobo up that day.  I remember the 1992 La Tech game as being really hot and winning by a field goal. i was a senior that year about to graduate. Other than the shitshow vs Northern Illinois, that 1992 season was fun.

I remember that 92 Memphis game being similar to the La Tech game that year. That Northern Illinois game ended up giving Wake Forest our Independence Bowl spot that season. I was at the 95 Bama game as well. I also remember that fake punt they pulled on us in 92 and we ended up losing 17-10. I’ve seen my share of close games going the other way against Bama unfortunately.....

"There was a great deal of character on that field today. They are for real, no doubt about it. This was no fluke." - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

#5 2020-05-16 19:39:19 - John Thompson To The Top Talk

admin (289)
Administrator

Nugget's Ghostbuster wrote:

I don’t know why the guys behind TTT Talk stopped posting their podcast here

It could relate to the fact that I stopped paying into their GoFundMe late last year. It doesn't have anything to do with their podcast (which I like), I just figured that they'd gotten some other sponsors, USM was sucking, and I had a new kid to pay for. I definitely threw money into the hat for a while there.

TTT Talk posted here before the site ever sponsored them, and I wish they'd still post here. I certainly do not rule out working closely with them in the future. Success on the field plays into that decision; when I (begrudgingly) paused my support, it was very much a time when we were all looking at USM sports and asking "what's the point?"

#6 2020-05-17 12:22:27 - John Thompson To The Top Talk

Southern Miss podcasts are not designed to be money makers nor should they cost anything to produce. I’m good with supporting my fellow Golden Eagles if there is a true expense to provide entertainment related to our program but things like “inside info” from Big Gold Nation seems like a waste of money even if it’s the cost of a few Starbucks a month.
Now a GoFundMe for Heath Hinton makes sense and that’s something I can get behind........making a phone call to John Thompson to talk about playing Nevada at home should be free content.....

Board footer