CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-02 10:18:10 - The diminishing number of social media sites I can participate in

AndreWhere (1252)

The diminishing number of social media sites I can participate in

For a long time I have read and occassionally posted on a site called GrassRootsMotorsports.com. As far as car sites go, it's relatively free of teenage acrimony and general misinformation.

Well, yesterday they put up a post claiming solidarity with the people "protesting," which seemed out-of-place but not completely unacceptable. But at the bottom of the post they claimed that they'd made a donation to the Southern Poverty Law Center.

I just can't use a site where some portion of the money they make off of my page views might go to the SPLC, for several reasons. Mostly, I think that we already spend far too much time and energy on overt white supremacists. This is not 1959, and anyone still wasting his time going to Klan meetings is probably more tragic than threatening. All talking about those people does is agitate us and distract us.

Beyond that, I could point to the massive amounts of cash the SPLC has accumulated, its own record of mistreating its black employees, the court cases it has lost to simple conservative groups it tried to blacklist, etc.

So GRM is just one more site I won't go to anymore. I'm probably mostly alone in this; whether it's stupidity or just ignorance, most people seem to think a little internet virtue signaling is a good thing. They don't get into the details, it's just, "KKK bad, Website good."

The more I see this sort of thing quietly gotten wrong, the more I think this country is toast.

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#2 2020-06-02 11:35:20 - The diminishing number of social media sites I can participate in

B&GBU (259)

Re: The diminishing number of social media sites I can participate in

F 'em!

"Did you ever consider that the next level would be a lower one?"

#3 2020-06-05 11:06:40 - The diminishing number of social media sites I can participate in

AndreWhere (1252)

Re: The diminishing number of social media sites I can participate in

Well, that Grassroots Motorsports thing turned into quite a shitshow. I share this link to educate anyone who doesn't realize just how far gone this country is:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum … 194/page1/

What's especially disgusting about what GRM did is that they've been soliciting donations on GoFundMe (or Patreon, maybe) claiming they're barely able to stay afloat. People responded to those solicitations, and did so pretty strongly, because GRM really does (did?) fill a niche that no one else would. It's not cheap or easy participating in auto racing as a private individual, and the audience for a publication about that is necessarily small.

And I think it's ironic, and unfortunately probably lost on the people who run GRM, that what happened there is a perfect example of why the SPLC sucks. They peel off a little bit more of what the political right believes each year, and declare it "hate." This stirs up the hornet's nest, and gets them a bunch of free money from everyone else, and worthwhile things like GRM get damaged because of all of it.

SPLC are the biggest scumbags on the planet. Goodbye, Grassroots Motorsports. And yeah, "F 'em."

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

Board footer