CollegeSportsUnfiltered.com

College sports... without the power-hungry mods!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-23 10:56:14 - So,...

Mao Tse-gore (412)

So,...

...USM is "restttructtturing" its Coastttal Operatttions, while it appears the humpers are expanding theirs and elbowing in.

We still suck bigtime.
There's a big difference between optimism and an altered state of reality.
Not another dime, not another mile, not another minute.
MSFlag.gif

#2 2021-02-24 10:38:17 - So,...

TheChosenOne (295)

Re: So,...

The coast is an opportunity for someone to swoop in. Southern Miss had a real chance to take advantage however administration once again failed. Leaving a gap for Tulane and now MS State. They’d better wake up otherwise will lose their backyard.

#3 2021-02-24 11:58:33 - So,...

Black Diamond Reb (418)

TheChosenOne wrote:

Southern Miss administration better wake up.

220px-PurportedUFO2.jpg

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

Liked by:

#4 2021-02-24 12:42:19 - So,...

AndreWhere (1252)

Maybe someone can give a history of the stupid little spats the administration has started with Gulf Park over the years. I remember Thames had one, and then maybe Aunt Martha had another?

Bring back Reed V. "Pie" TurkPalmer Eustachy.

#5 2021-03-11 08:36:17 - So,...

USMstang (303)

None of them including Bennett knew what to do with Gulf Park. It was a neat idea to buy it back in 72 but not one person had a plan of substance in how to capitalize on this gorgeous slice of real estate.  I looked at the credentials of the latest person named to lead Coastal Operations and I'm not impressed.  She's not the worst person to lead it by far but I can't imagine what being a cattle farmer's wife from Covington county has to do with running a Blue Economy school with global contacts.

Keep in mind some of the past leaders were political appointees.  One such was AKL's daughter who quickly appointed all of her "woke" friends to leadership/dean positions.  It nearly killed the nursing program.  Once Francis was run off, Dr Miller was such a leadership force that he was demoted and given a position in Hattiesburg so RDB could keep his thumb directly on his head.  I liked Miller but I think he may have ruffled some feathers in the LBGTQ club Francis had fostered/elevated.

I will give this new lady a year to do something good.  And getting a gift from a Senator doesn't count.  Wicker only supported this project so he could have a building named after his sorry ass! 

There is so much potential down here and I've had some politicos tell me that Moo is positioning themselves to "partner" with USM with the goal of taking over Coastal Operations altogether.

Still sleeping with a Dixie Darling!

#6 2021-03-11 09:38:33 - So,...

AndreWhere (1252)

USMstang wrote:

I looked at the credentials of the latest person named to lead Coastal Operations and I'm not impressed.  She's not the worst person to lead it by far but I can't imagine what being a cattle farmer's wife from Covington county has to do with running a Blue Economy school with global contacts.

Kind of had the same thought. I don't want to be too negative, but holding a PMP certification isn't generally press release-worthy.

#7 2021-03-11 22:43:38 - So,...

USMstang (303)

AndreWhere wrote:
USMstang wrote:

I looked at the credentials of the latest person named to lead Coastal Operations and I'm not impressed.  She's not the worst person to lead it by far but I can't imagine what being a cattle farmer's wife from Covington county has to do with running a Blue Economy school with global contacts.

Kind of had the same thought. I don't want to be too negative, but holding a PMP certification isn't generally press release-worthy.

I've ruffled feathers with my comments in regard to her saying in her bio that she is a business owner but in reviewing the filings with the Sec of State, she is listed as the Secretary of several LLCs.  Some of those have been dissolved and some are still active.  My point is that running a government entity versus your own small business is nowhere near the same animal.  Until you've invested (risked) every phucking penny to your name in a business (crapshoot), you probably have no idea how it works.  In the public sector, you manage the budget you are GIVEN.  She managed like 3 other ladies at her prior gig at USM (place named for a crooked senator). 

With all that said, she probably has more actual business experience (filing the annual reports for her hubby's cattle farm) than anyone else we've ever had in a position such as hers.  I think Dr Miller was an engineer working out at Stennis Space Center (yep, another place named for a crooked senator).  Frances Lucas was academia that bombed out of her gig in J'town prior to being given the gig here.  I can't even recall who she replaced

I hope she can effectively manage Gulf Park, the Gulf Coast Research Lab in OS, the new building in downtown Gulfport that USM paid MS Power waaaay too much money for, the new building at the Port and 90 intersection, the old research boat, the soon to be delivered research boat, and the other new building on the Port of Gulfport named for a do-nothing MFer of a senator.  Oh, and a Blue Economy too!!

Last edited by USMstang (2021-03-11 23:15:17)

#8 2021-03-11 23:31:36 - So,...

AndreWhere (1252)

It's honestly impressive what USM has accomplished in spite of this "townie" small potatoes mentality that reveals itself from time to time. I mean, if the people who ran Yale had settled for being top dog in New Haven, CT, how far would they have gone?

What building in Gulfport did USM buy from Mississippi Power? The Gulf & Ship Island Building? That's a nice building, and extremely well kept-up, but it's hard to imaging it's worth more than, IDK, a few million dollars.

Liked by:

#9 2021-03-12 19:18:34 - So,...

USMstang (303)

AndreWhere wrote:

It's honestly impressive what USM has accomplished in spite of this "townie" small potatoes mentality that reveals itself from time to time. I mean, if the people who ran Yale had settled for being top dog in New Haven, CT, how far would they have gone?

What building in Gulfport did USM buy from Mississippi Power? The Gulf & Ship Island Building? That's a nice building, and extremely well kept-up, but it's hard to imaging it's worth more than, IDK, a few million dollars.

Damn dude, are you from the Coast?  Not many folks know that building by it's actual name!  Yah, it's a swank building because the mafioso Power Co spends lavishly.  I am very pleased that USM "owns" it but as poor as we are, I'd preferred us just build a new building at Gulf Park.  It's done now so I've got no beef.  I will say the argument of being in the G&SI building was more convenient doesn't add up since it's not like you can walk from there to the port and parking sucks.  It's honestly a 3 min drive from Gulf Park to the port and probably at least that much from the downtown as well when you factor parking, walking, etc.  I much prefer the campus concept over the urban concept. 

Whomever occupies the building will be very impressed with the view to the South and lunch options will be very diverse within walking distance.  Long Beach would have really benefitted from the increased revenue streams at the handful of locally owned restaurants but it was a done deal by the time the politicians were aware of what was going on.

#10 2021-03-12 23:21:56 - So,...

AndreWhere (1252)

I was a coop student at Mississippi Power when they acquired the G&SI building and I helped get it all wired up to the overall Southern Company grid, in my own small way. What they did with that building was pretty impressive.

That was probably the heyday of Southern Company, though I hope their Vogtle project proves me wrong.

It was Mary Dayne Gregg who encouraged me to be a coop student.

Liked by:

#11 2021-03-12 23:25:55 - So,...

AndreWhere (1252)

And yeah, I do wonder how USM will connect G&SI to the rest of the Coast properties. To succeed at this will require a level of imagination and aggression I just have not seen from USM lately.

#12 2021-03-13 09:07:28 - So,...

USMstang (303)

AndreWhere wrote:

And yeah, I do wonder how USM will connect G&SI to the rest of the Coast properties. To succeed at this will require a level of imagination and aggression I just have not seen from USM lately.

Yup, we've just got buildings littered about the entire Coast!

#13 2021-03-13 11:24:06 - So,...

Black Diamond Reb (418)

AndreWhere wrote:

If the people who ran Yale had settled for being top dog in New Haven, CT how far would they have gone?

SUNWACUSA, of course

"I don't think being in the 6th best conference is too bad."
"Look for Crickets Robertson to be one of the first 64 players chosen in the draft."
"Went to Starkville and came within one bad throw of taking the series."

Board footer